Speculation: Tea leaves round 2 Edmonton Minnisota

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
RNH and Yak for Dumba, Zucker, and Kuemper. After initial freak out, Oilers realize they cutout what wasn't working and aligned their internal player timelines, positions, and skillsets to me much better moving forward.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Zucker-LD-Pulju
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Dumba
Davidson/Nurse-Fayne/Nurse

Talbot
Kuemper

Fast forward 2 years and that's a playoff lineup.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
RNH and Yak for Dumba, Zucker, and Kuemper. After initial freak out, Oilers realize they cutout what wasn't working and aligned their internal player timelines, positions, and skillsets to me much better moving forward.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Zucker-LD-Pulju
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Dumba

Talbot
Kuemper

Why do we do that trade? We shouldn't be trying to split players into multiple players with expansion coming, we're just going to lose one of them for nothing. Also think I might puke with Dumba on the middle pairing.

Edit: Just realized Yak was in there, thought it was RNH for the 3. Either way, Dumba... I'll pass.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Zucker-LD-Pulju
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Dumba

Talbot
Kuemper

Again, Wild can't eat cap. Cut out Yak. Dumba, Zucker, Kuemper for RNH. Salary would be roughly equal...Wild might have to eat a little bit.

Now that EDM has a solid Dman, and a RHD at that, Dumba does make some sense for the Oilers. One thing he will do is provide offense from the back end. Shelter him at ES, and make him a fixture on the PP. In a year or two he will be much better defensively, and the sky is the limit offensively, especially with who he has to work with up front.

RNH won't be the #1C the Wild are looking for, but he will provide quality depth at C, allowing the Wild to move players like Granlund and Coyle to wing.

With luck, Ek will be ready to play C in a year or two. He, together with Haula and RNH, will give us a competent center group once Koivu retires/ moves on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota already tried to get RNH for Dumba and Chia turned it down cause it wasn't enough

much rather get Barrie out of Colorado

Yes, but I don't get how CO can trade a Dman in order to get forward help. Especially when the players likely to be offered , Eberle and RNH, are paid 6M. Why not just pay Barrie?

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I'm emotionally prepared for a RNH/Dumba + 2nd round pick deal.

The Wild make out like bandits, but I understand why Chia will do it. He's going to change the Oilers depth on the right side of the blueline from:

Fayne
(Bear)
(nothing)

to

Larsson
Demers
Dumba
Fayne
(Bear)
(nothing)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Minnesota already tried to get RNH for Dumba and Chia turned it down cause it wasn't enough

much rather get Barrie out of Colorado
RNH = Dumba + Kuemper + (Zucker - Yak)

That is upping the offer to Edmonton.

Zucker is a better all-around player than Yak and he plays LW better as well. Zucker is as likely to be 30-goal guy as Yak, but he also brings a more complete game and ability to play on the PK. He also doesn't have to play in the top-6 to be effective. Zucker is also cheaper.

Yak, on the other hand, doesn't really have a place in the Oilers line-up as he isn't as good as Eberle and Pulju just replaced him in the top-6.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
RNH = Dumba + Kuemper + (Zucker - Yak)

That is upping the offer to Edmonton.

Zucker is a better player than Yak and he plays LW better as well. Zucker is as likely to be 30-goal guy as Yak, but he also brings a more complete game and ability to play on the PK. He also doesn't have to play in the top-6 to be effective.

Yak, on the other hand, doesn't really have a place in the Oilers line-up as he isn't as good as Eberle and Pulju just replaced him in the top-6.

Yak can be moved back over the left side now that Hall is gone. Or he can stay on the right side if Eberle is traded.

Yak is cheap and if he's only worth a 3rd round pick, the Oil are better off keeping him and seeing if he can catch some lightning in a bottle with one of the centers this season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm emotionally prepared for a RNH/Dumba + 2nd round pick deal.

The Wild make out like bandits, but I understand why Chia will do it. He's going to change the Oilers depth on the right side of the blueline from:

Fayne
(Bear)
(nothing)

to

Larsson
Demers
Dumba
Fayne
(Bear)
(nothing)

I don't think it will happen. Sounds like he had no interest unless the Wild were adding another significant piece and I hope to god it stays that way. If you're gonna target an offensive D make it one thats already proven and isn't a complete albatross defensively. Otherwise keep the centre depth. After all we have absolutely nothing that can replace McDavid or Draisaitl in the top 6 if they get injured as we stand.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Again, Wild can't eat cap. Cut out Yak. Dumba, Zucker, Kuemper for RNH. Salary would be roughly equal...Wild might have to eat a little bit.

Now that EDM has a solid Dman, and a RHD at that, Dumba does make some sense for the Oilers. One thing he will do is provide offense from the back end. Shelter him at ES, and make him a fixture on the PP. In a year or two he will be much better defensively, and the sky is the limit offensively, especially with who he has to work with up front.

RNH won't be the #1C the Wild are looking for, but he will provide quality depth at C, allowing the Wild to move players like Granlund and Coyle to wing.

With luck, Ek will be ready to play C in a year or two. He, together with Haula and RNH, will give us a competent center group once Koivu retires/ moves on.
Wild can certainly afford that deal under the cap.

The only players left to sign would be 4th line scrubs and a back-up goalie. All of which would be cheap at the end of the summer.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yak can be moved back over the left side now that Hall is gone. Or he can stay on the right side if Eberle is traded.

Yak is cheap and if he's only worth a 3rd round pick, the Oil are better off keeping him and seeing if he can catch some lightning in a bottle with one of the centers this season.
Well that's why I suggested the Oilers flip Yak for Zucker to upgrade.

They are similar players, but Zucker is much better on the left-side, brings a more 200-foot game (although he's still working on it), and is more affordable. And he's actually broken the 20-goal level.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I don't think it will happen. Sounds like he had no interest unless the Wild were adding another significant piece and I hope to god it stays that way. If you're gonna target an offensive D make it one thats already proven and isn't a complete albatross defensively. Otherwise keep the centre depth. After all we have absolutely nothing that can replace McDavid or Draisaitl in the top 6 if they get injured as we stand.

Oh man, I'm firmly on the "keep your depth at C and trade all the wingers" bandwagon. I'm just saying I'm prepared for Chia to trade Nuge. Not that I want Chia to trade Nuge.

In a best case scenario Chia ships Eberle out for a Dman like Dumba. I'd like to see that, but I'm not sure that's even feasible after what I saw yesterday.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Remember that the Oilers are building for 3 years from now, when Larsson will be a very good shutdown Dman and Dumba will be putting up 20 goals and 50 points.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think he is, and again, I'm not a big RNH fan. Thing is, that deal still doesn't address the salary disparity between Dumba and RNH.
This is a huge issue for me. Part of why I think it might be Spurgeon for RNH. Way closer in salary and value 1-for-1.
Wild can certainly afford that deal under the cap.

The only players left to sign would be 4th line scrubs and a back-up goalie. All of which would be cheap at the end of the summer.

Parise(7.5)-RNH(6)-Coyle(3.2)
Granlund(3)-Koivu(6.75)-Yak(2.5)
Nino(2.6)-Haula(1)-Pominville(5.6)

Suter(7.5)-Spurgeon(5.2)
Scandella(4)-Brodin(4.2)
Reilly(.925)-Folin(.725)
Prosser(.625)

Dubnyk(4.3)

Buyouts: Cooke (1), Vanek (1.5)

Roster: 17 of 23
Salary: $68.125m
Cap space: $4.875m for 6 roster spots ($.8125m avg per spot)

Next offseason: Granlund, Nino, Haula, Folin, Yak are all RFAs (see how this could be a problem?)

Expansion?

7F: Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Coyle, Nino, Granlund, RNH (exposes Yak, Haula)
3D: Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella/Brodin (exposes the other of Scandella/Brodin)
1G: Dubnyk (obvious)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
This is a huge issue for me. Part of why I think it might be Spurgeon for RNH. Way closer in salary and value 1-for-1.

Parise(7.5)-RNH(6)-Coyle(3.2)
Granlund(3)-Koivu(6.75)-Yak(2.5)
Nino(2.6)-Haula(1)-Pominville(5.6)

Suter(7.5)-Spurgeon(5.2)
Scandella(4)-Brodin(4.2)
Reilly(.925)-Folin(.725)
Prosser(.625)

Dubnyk(4.3)

Buyouts: Cooke (1), Vanek (1.5)

Roster: 17 of 23
Salary: $68.125m
Cap space: $4.875m for 6 roster spots ($.8125m avg per spot)

Next offseason: Granlund, Nino, Haula, Folin, Yak are all RFAs (see how this could be a problem?)

Expansion?

7F: Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Coyle, Nino, Granlund, RNH (exposes Yak, Haula)
3D: Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella/Brodin (exposes the other of Scandella/Brodin)
1G: Dubnyk (obvious)
Pominville is getting bought out next season. Problem solved.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Remember that the Oilers are building for 3 years from now, when Larsson will be a very good shutdown Dman and Dumba will be putting up 20 goals and 50 points.

Yeah and why are we trying to give that up, exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad