Speculation: TDL (02/24) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean, I think we can all agree that DW's plan didn't work. At the same time, it probably would have been okay if all of the best players didn't inexplicably regress. We all knew the forwards weren't as good as most other teams' but the great defensive corps was supposed to take some of the offensive burden. They were REALLY underwhelming as a unit, so not only did they not help out the forwards as expected, they became a liability. The forwards, needed this help, and didn't get it. The forwards were underwhelming in their own right, and Jones was, well, as expected. I think it's fair to say that the only players who have exceeded expectations this year are Dell, Marleau, Goodrow, and Ferraro. Yikes.

More than the make up of the team, which shouldn't have been as bad as it is, I think I blame DW most for hanging on to DeBoer too long.

The regression outside of Timo isn't inexplicable. NHL aging curves are a real thing and a lot of our guys are coming up on major inflection points.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Regression, for sure. Cliff diving, not so much. At exactly the same time, really unlikely.

Yes, that’s a very fair point. Any solid model which predicted the future performance of these players based on aging curve and prior performance would have probably still predicted a much better performance out of them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's pretty simple really. Wards higher pedigree and accomplishments should have made his worth at a minimum equal to what Jones was as a UFA or really, Jones as a UFA shouldn't have been worth so much more than Ward. Still baffled?o_O Or in simplest terms, Jones got far more than his experience showed he was worth.

Sorry but RFA and UFA are not comparable from the get-go. The rest of what you say doesn’t matter after that. Jones didn’t get more than he was worth and wasn’t paid as one of the best. He got paid pretty much middle of the road for starters which is what he was plus exceptional playoff numbers.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I don’t normally make proposals but it was posted that Kreider and the Rangers can’t agree on a contract.
Burns to the Blueshirts for Kreider, Georgiev and draft pick?

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
I don’t normally make proposals but it was posted that Kreider and the Rangers can’t agree on a contract.
This is what DW needs to do if he's really committed to a retool instead of a rebuild. Add top 6 forwards and reallocate one of the big cap hits on the D to the forwards. I'd have extended Dillon if this move were a possibility, though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is what DW needs to do if he's really committed to a retool instead of a rebuild. Add top 6 forwards and reallocate one of the big cap hits on the D to the forwards. I'd have extended Dillon if this move were a possibility, though.

Except the odds of re-signing Kreider to make it worth it is very slim.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

There is no reason not to trade him though. By all accounts Dillion loved playing in San Jose. All it would take is DW planting the idea in his head that we would definitely be willing to resign him. He doesn't have to resign anywhere. If he holds out to UFA, San Jose is as likely a destination as any. Same thing with Thornton, Marleau, etc.

Reactions: goflyakite

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
DW isn't trading for expiring contracts like Kreider. That makes very little sense for the direction of the franchise. He's already said he wanted to stay out east too so the Sharks likely have no chance in hell at resigning him. Burns will be worth a lot more than a goaltending prospect, a pick and an expiring contract. Unless of course the pick is a 1st? Even then the Sharks better get more for a D-man who puts up Burns level point production.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Sharks need to trade Couture to a contender who needs a "playoff warrior." He's not that good in the season, and something tells me that he won't get a chance to dominate the playoffs in the near future for us. We could probably get something pretty good, just based on playoff history.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Sharks need to trade Couture to a contender who needs a "playoff warrior." He's not that good in the season, and something tells me that he won't get a chance to dominate the playoffs in the near future for us. We could probably get something pretty good, just based on playoff history.

Absolutely agreed. I also think of all our expensive contracts, Cooch probably holds the most value. He is not on a massive contract like Karlsson, he is not at a precarious age like Burns is, and he is earning his contract unlike Vlasic, and he does not have a rep like Kane.

That being said, I have less than zero confidence that DW would actually trade him now.

Reactions: SnarkAttack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad