Recalled/Assigned: TBL recall Slater Koekkoek | 4/8/15: Koekkoekk re-assigned to Syracuse

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Good for Slater. It sucks it took an injury for it to happen but he'll get his spot on the team next year for sure. It's funny how people are trying to call him a bust. It was a decision by the entire organization to make Koekoek go the long route and take this long while his fellow graduates are playing. One thing is for sure we are going to have a good looking defense on the ice next year.

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Carle-Koekkoek
Any of Nesterov/Barberio/Sustr

Long shot would be DeAngelo but I imagine he's gonna play all next year in Syracuse and would've otherwise been returned to junior if he wasn't old enough and would've had to play the year after with the Crunch no matter what just like Koekkoek had to.

Anyhow back on topic, I bet Slats plays great tonight. Really excited for him.

Koekkoek's probably still a year away because he's a LD, and we're pretty stacked on that side. Barring a move, he's competing for Carle's spot. Maybe we switch Garrison to the left side, but I doubt it.

Koekkoek could force the issue, and lately he's been playing like he might. He'll definitely be the first call-up and will probably get 10-20 games in. But, honestly, when you look at our right side, I think DeAngelo has a much easier path to the NHL than Slater. They could realistically arrive for regular duty together in 2016.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Koekkoek's probably still a year away because he's a LD, and we're pretty stacked on that side. Barring a move, he's competing for Carle's spot. Maybe we switch Garrison to the left side, but I doubt it.

Koekkoek could force the issue, and lately he's been playing like he might. He'll definitely be the first call-up and will probably get 10-20 games in. But, honestly, when you look at our right side, I think DeAngelo has a much easier path to the NHL than Slater. They could realistically arrive for regular duty together in 2016.

While all true, I think it's now or never for the organization to give this kid a shot. Barring Reinhart with the Isles, just about every single defenseman picked in the 1st round of 2012 is either a regular on their team or they are playing in their rookie season. Koekkoek is only still at this point because we as an organization have decided to take it slowly with him. We picked him over guys like Maata and Ceci on defense and God knows the whole world was saying "HOW HAS NO ONE TAKEN FORSBERG YET??!!" when we were up to pick. I'd hope Yzerman wouldn't make such a choice as to draft Koekkoek just so he could be a long term project in the minors while the other defenseman taken in that draft accumulate anywhere from 70 to 130 games worth of NHL experience before Slater plays his first game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
While all true, I think it's now or never for the organization to give this kid a shot. Barring Reinhart with the Isles, just about every single defenseman picked in the 1st round of 2012 is either a regular on their team or they are playing in their rookie season. Koekkoek is only still at this point because we as an organization have decided to take it slowly with him. We picked him over guys like Maata and Ceci on defense and God knows the whole world was saying "HOW HAS NO ONE TAKEN FORSBERG YET??!!" when we were up to pick. I'd hope Yzerman wouldn't make such a choice as to draft Koekkoek just so he could be a long term project in the minors while the other defenseman taken in that draft accumulate anywhere from 70 to 130 games worth of NHL experience before Slater plays his first game.

I don't think it matters what the rest of the guys from his draft are doing. All that matters is what's best for him and what's best for the team. This is what we do with players. Look at what Detroit does.

For much of the year in Syracuse, he wasn't even the #1 guy. That's not to say he's not NHL-ready. He probably is. But another year down there won't hurt him either, so if he doesn't prove he's a better option than Carle, I can't see him sticking with the big club just to prove he was a good draft pick. We want to win, and playing D on their off-side isn't a great recipe for that.

I think Koekkoek will play for us next year, but I don't think he becomes a regular until something changes on our left side. He can force that change to happen, mind you.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
good luck to him in
Best young team in league
(also with most of russians than any other team -but itis just bonus for me^)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Good for Slater. It sucks it took an injury for it to happen but he'll get his spot on the team next year for sure. It's funny how people are trying to call him a bust. It was a decision by the entire organization to make Koekoek go the long route and take this long while his fellow graduates are playing. One thing is for sure we are going to have a good looking defense on the ice next year.

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Carle-Koekkoek
Any of Nesterov/Barberio/Sustr

Long shot would be DeAngelo but I imagine he's gonna play all next year in Syracuse and would've otherwise been returned to junior if he wasn't old enough and would've had to play the year after with the Crunch no matter what just like Koekkoek had to.

Anyhow back on topic, I bet Slats plays great tonight. Really excited for him.

if carle is not traded he might go for cap room if yzerman wants to add something ?

Boltsppy

Jun 10, 2014
So Hedman is back. Great games by KK. Hope he'll play the same way in AHL PO

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Good stuff. Had a good NHL showing, leaves on a high note, should be taking a ton of confidence back to Syracuse.

I don't know how Yzerman & company aren't biting their lips while looking at Matt Carle's contract right now. Slater, Nesterov, even Barbs... We seem to be heading to a situation, next year, that would be pretty ideal for bringing some young guys along.

Would anybody be mad if we had 1. Hedman 2. Garrison 3. Nesterov down the left side next year? With Koekkoek serving as first call-up? It would free up a lot of very important money...

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I wouldn't mind.

Nesterov is our #6 D.
Better than Sustr, Barbs or KK right now

Probably pushing it honestly. Barbs and KK have show serious improvement and skill. I'd put them all equal, especially with Nesterov making mistakes now and then.

KK will blow past them in a year though and arguably become a top 4, easily.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm a massive fan of several players on this team, Nesterov being one of them but since I literally scrutinize their time on ice, I can recognize when he (or they) crap the bed... And Nestea did at times.
Still, his last 3 games were extremely solid, the last one vs Florida, he literally played & also earned top pairing minutes against a desperate team. Never in their career Sustr nor Barberio ever played at this level yet and it's not even close. As for Koekkoek, he has all-around dman written all over his face, I'm not even concerned with him, he'll just wait a few more months to really start his nhl career, then we'll discuss, that's it.

I had to watch that Florida game twice to be sure but NN could've played one of the best performance a TB dman had over the season, not kidding. Focused for 22 minutes, calm under pressure and he was in complicated situation several times in that game, physical when needed, always ahead of the play, not a single mistake facing though competition, his offensive instincts are what we know 5v5, his PP unit gets a lot shots on net & scored 2 goals since he's taking special team minutes a couple or 3 games ago. I don't think it's a coincidence. Andreychuck, Chief Taylor... A lot of hockey guys gushed over him lately for a good reason.

To be honest I just wanted to say don't put too much stock in past scouting reports or draft positions, it affects your current evaluation way too much. Nesterov wasn't even supposed to play in the nhl this year and barely the next one. A 6th dman if he works hard, 5th at best if he reaches his ceiling... ********, the only thing I've seen is a kid oozing hockey smarts and an huge desire to progress. This kid possesses all the tools to be a very good player in this league. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Probably pushing it honestly. Barbs and KK have show serious improvement and skill. I'd put them all equal, especially with Nesterov making mistakes now and then.

KK will blow past them in a year though and arguably become a top 4, easily.

Disagree with pretty much everything you said. Nesterov is an improvement on everything that Barberio provides. One thing I do agree with is though that Koekkoek will become a top 4 Dman some time next season.

I'm a massive fan of several players on this team, Nesterov being one of them but since I literally scrutinize their time on ice, I can recognize when he (or they) crap the bed... And Nestea did at times.
Still, his last 3 games were extremely solid, the last one vs Florida, he literally played & also earned top pairing minutes against a desperate team. Never in their career Sustr nor Barberio ever played at this level yet and it's not even close. As for Koekkoek, he has all-around dman written all over his face, I'm not even concerned with him, he'll just wait a few more months to really start his nhl career, then we'll discuss, that's it.

I had to watch that Florida game twice to be sure but NN could've played one of the best performance a TB dman had over the season, not kidding. Focused for 22 minutes, calm under pressure and he was in complicated situation several times in that game, physical when needed, always ahead of the play, not a single mistake facing though competition, his offensive instincts are what we know 5v5, his PP unit gets a lot shots on net & scored 2 goals since he's taking special team minutes a couple or 3 games ago. I don't think it's a coincidence. Andreychuck, Chief Taylor... A lot of hockey guys gushed over him lately for a good reason.

To be honest I just wanted to say don't put too much stock in past scouting reports or draft positions, it affects your current evaluation way too much. Nesterov wasn't even supposed to play in the nhl this year and barely the next one. A 6th dman if he works hard, 5th at best if he reaches his ceiling... ********, the only thing I've seen is a kid oozing hockey smarts and an huge desire to progress. This kid possesses all the tools to be a very good player in this league. Enjoy.

Agree, I think he will become a decent Top 4 defenseman. Kid just has it. What ever it is, he has it.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I thought the guy had a pretty great showing, and I am kind of disappointed that he has to go back. He showed a lot of improvement as he got more confident as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad