Confirmed with Link: [TBL/OTT] Ryan Callahan & a 2020 5th rd pick for Mike Condon and a 2020 6th rd pick

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
So Toronto acquires Clarkson for the LTIR space. We trade Callahan for cap space. Can someone more enlightened than me explain the difference? Is it just Toronto taking a gamble while we're going the safer route?

I think it’s Toronto taking a gamble sort of vs your safest route. The thing with LTIR is it can’t be used unless your at the ceiling(or some specific number close to the cap ceiling)

So I think the reason toronto did is they’re at the point where signing marner puts them “at the ceiling or slightly above” allowing them to LTIR Clarkson, whereas I’m assuming points impending contract would put u way over the cap where even an LTIR’d Callahan still doesn’t get you under?

Or something where maybevthey couldn’t LTIR cally because they won’t be at the allowable number u need to bevatvto utilize LTIR.

Idk I’m just blindly throwing darts at this pojnt

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Domingue was a funny guy, but he wasn't exactly good when Vasi went down. He wasn't even decent, he was awful. People point out his W/L ratio and say he was good but they forget that we averaged 4 goals per game during that period.
I point that out and I have not forgotten. He did better than his job. Aren’t wins what matter for a backup?

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Looks like it will most likely be Sergachev playing with Hedman. :eek:

I sure hope Sergy takes a MAJOR step forward this season. :skeptic:

It may sound crazy, but this is the age/season that Hedmonster took a it leap forward. Look for Serge to go 20/20 possibly. With some great +3 games. (I hope)

Reactions: Todd1a

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it’s Toronto taking a gamble sort of vs your safest route. The thing with LTIR is it can’t be used unless your at the ceiling(or some specific number close to the cap ceiling)

So I think the reason toronto did is they’re at the point where signing marner puts them “at the ceiling or slightly above” allowing them to LTIR Clarkson, whereas I’m assuming points impending contract would put u way over the cap where even an LTIR’d Callahan still doesn’t get you under?

Or something where maybevthey couldn’t LTIR cally because they won’t be at the allowable number u need to bevatvto utilize LTIR.

Idk I’m just blindly throwing darts at this pojnt

We have cap room for Point's contract without Callahan's LITR. Agreed that we're going a safer route. Whereas the Leafs need the LITR space to sign Marner. We don't need it, so it's safer to dump the contract.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It may sound crazy, but this is the age/season that Hedmonster took a it leap forward. Look for Serge to go 20/20 possibly. With some great +3 games. (I hope)

They're very different players though. Sergachev doesn't have Hedman's skillset, although he has a great skillset of his own. I don't think he's ever really projected to be a #1 the way Hedman always was. Agreed that Sergachev should put it all together, but I don't see him having a big #1 type season. Hard to score 20 as a Dman with such limited PP time.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
They're very different players though. Sergachev doesn't have Hedman's skillset, although he has a great skillset of his own. I don't think he's ever really projected to be a #1 the way Hedman always was. Agreed that Sergachev should put it all together, but I don't see him having a big #1 type season. Hard to score 20 as a Dman with such limited PP time.

He's replacing our PP2 player to give Hedmonster some rest. This is the make or break year. I bet he shows up. Too much raw talent no to.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's replacing our PP2 player to give Hedmonster some rest. This is the make or break year. I bet he shows up. Too much raw talent no to.

I don't think it's the make or break year. I think that's still a ways off. He could break out this year though, yeah. We're obviously hoping for that. I'm not sure how he's giving Hedman a rest though.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He seemed to me like an average back-up. He was terrible when the starts piled up, but decent when he was just playing the odd game. Sometimes great. And we could usually count on him for a big save late. That said, I think a lot of teams will look at 21-5 and try him out in a 1B role.
Yeah, he was good when he was that, a backup. But when he was forced to be the starter he sucked, hard.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TML fan here, congratulations on another amazing move by your brass. My question to the TBL fans is this now that you have 11 million dollars worth of space does Point sign a bridge or does he also get another 9.5 million dollar deal?

I’ve gone on cap friendly and while you would certainly be fine this year next years cap situation is pretty dicey. Obviously there would be an entire offseason to make moves but seeing as almost every other TBL player has signed a bridge before cashing in do you think Point will go for that?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TML fan here, congratulations on another amazing move by your brass. My question to the TBL fans is this now that you have 11 million dollars worth of space does Point sign a bridge or does he also get another 9.5 million dollar deal?

I’ve gone on cap friendly and while you would certainly be fine this year next years cap situation is pretty dicey. Obviously there would be an entire offseason to make moves but seeing as almost every other TBL player has signed a bridge before cashing in do you think Point will go for that?
Next year is tougher than this year for sure, but we have a lot NTCs that become a lot more relaxed.

I think this deal is a sign Point is close. Callahan's LTIR was a safety net, and now we don't need it, IMO.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Things being what they are, I bought out Palat next offseason the last time I made an honest attempt at filling out the roster. I'm not sure how the extensions are here (too much/too little?)
e89ff8dee77bd272a5114b44fba2dd83.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad