Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st rd pk, con. 2nd for J.T. Miller & Ryan McDonagh

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's really streaky. He got fat off Kucherov and Stamkos for a while there but I have to imagine he'll gel eventually with someone. His only problem is that he has tunnel vision at center. If AV puts him at wing then he'll be fine. If I were to put a number on how much better Vladdy is there it would be called "I can't count that high"
Sorry - he's not streaky. Killorn is streaky. He's just not good.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Namestnikov has been awful since joining the Rangers. Can't play center defensively, not playing well offensively either, along with bad decision making.

Is this how he usually plays or just a string of bad games?
As many on our board have said, he needs other good offensive players to maximize what he brings. I've seen some NYR games since the deadline though & in his defense the whole Rangers team is an awful mess right now, especially in their own end. Not a good situation for anyone over there atm.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
McDonagh has been pretty awful as well.
don't agree. The team as a whole was playig badly and he's been helping the team than damaging in most games he's played. was one of the better players at the couple of games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not really much to complain about from Miller. Takes the occasional shift off, but what veteran doesn't on this team?

Convinced he's an upgrade over Namestnikov.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Not really much to complain about from Miller. Takes the occasional shift off, but what veteran doesn't on this team?

Convinced he's an upgrade over Namestnikov.
Agree. Names was talented and physical in the sense that he threw his body around, but Miller plays way heavier, and he's just more focused with his talent. I liked Names, but Miller rounds that top line out in a way that Names couldn't.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I thought our best players last night were the 2 that we got from this trade, Erne/Gourde/Killorn line, and Hedman. Stamkos and Kucherov have to wake up. They played better in the 3rd but just so out of it in the first 2 periods.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's just new, and extremely sensitive to who his linemates are, give him time.

I don't know about that. It sounds a lot like how he played before we put him with 91/86, if you count "tunnel vision" as terrible decision-making. He just never spotted the open man before this year, but playing with 91/86 probably had something to do with that.

I really don't see him as a 50 point player in this league. 45 in a good year from here in, but I think most seasons will be high 30s as a 3C.

I honestly think we pumped his value and then dumped him for a superior player. Unless one of the +s in the deal was actually to make up the difference between Miller and Namestnikov.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't know about that. It sounds a lot like how he played before we put him with 91/86, if you count "tunnel vision" as terrible decision-making. He just never spotted the open man before this year, but playing with 91/86 probably had something to do with that.

I really don't see him as a 50 point player in this league. 45 in a good year from here in, but I think most seasons will be high 30s as a 3C.

I honestly think we pumped his value and then dumped him for a superior player. Unless one of the +s in the deal was actually to make up the difference between Miller and Namestnikov.

Yzerman maximizing value on a guy having a career year - sounds about right. I can see Vlad back in the organization in a couple years, he left on good terms and probably won't top this season in NY again. Miller was clearly superior in every way, Vlad as a C is barely 3rd line material.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Steal for Yzerman. From a TB point of view they got our third best center 21 and under (Point / Cirelli). They got our third best defenseman 20 and under (Foote / Sergachev) and Namestnikov for prime McDonagh with term and PPG RFA Miller?

The real question is what do they do with the extra picks. Cause Yzerman new full well he wasn’t dipping and dealing out of the top of his prospect pool. With Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev playing the left side there is no way Hajek sniffs NHL ice in Tampa. And with Masin and Cernak we have third pairing depth, no question. With Stammer signed for 7 more years, Point, Johnson, Cirelli, etc. there is no way Howden sniffs ice here either.

Yzerman traded nothing that hurt short term, mid term, nor long term. NYR should have gotten a young top pairing defenseman and a scoring line prospect. The return for NYR should have been Foote + Raddysh + Namestnikov and a second for prime McDonagh with term. That Yzerman has the Rangers also add Miller is insane to me.

We still have 7 picks in the 2018 draft and he’ll probably get some more picks as he can at this point trade Sustr’s rights, Coburn, Koekkoek, Paquette, Dotchin, etc. without worrying about his NHL roster nor depth. It’s godmode GM NHL stuff.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Steal for Yzerman. From a TB point of view they got our third best center 21 and under (Point / Cirelli). They got our third best defenseman 20 and under (Foote / Sergachev) and Namestnikov for prime McDonagh with term and PPG RFA Miller?

The real question is what do they do with the extra picks. Cause Yzerman new full well he wasn’t dipping and dealing out of the top of his prospect pool. With Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev playing the left side there is no way Hajek sniffs NHL ice in Tampa. And with Masin and Cernak we have third pairing depth, no question. With Stammer signed for 7 more years, Point, Johnson, Cirelli, etc. there is no way Howden sniffs ice here either.

Yzerman traded nothing that hurt short term, mid term, nor long term. NYR should have gotten a young top pairing defenseman and a scoring line prospect. The return for NYR should have been Foote + Raddysh + Namestnikov and a second for prime McDonagh with term. That Yzerman has the Rangers also add Miller is insane to me.

We still have 7 picks in the 2018 draft and he’ll probably get some more picks as he can at this point trade Sustr’s rights, Coburn, Koekkoek, Paquette, Dotchin, etc. without worrying about his NHL roster nor depth. It’s godmode GM NHL stuff.

From a Redwings fan, I agree.
I don’t think Howden ever becomes a regular NHL player over the course of his career. I just don’t see it.

This trade was insane. Good job Tampa!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yzerman maximizing value on a guy having a career year - sounds about right. I can see Vlad back in the organization in a couple years, he left on good terms and probably won't top this season in NY again. Miller was clearly superior in every way, Vlad as a C is barely 3rd line material.

I could too. I dont think he will get a long contract from NY. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he came back after that contract was up or some time down the road if both sides wanted it to happen.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
From a Redwings fan, I agree.
I don’t think Howden ever becomes a regular NHL player over the course of his career. I just don’t see it.

This trade was insane. Good job Tampa!
Nah Howden is good. I can see him becoming a sort of elite 3c/solid 2c type. But that's a while down the line and Tampa has centers. (Stamkos, Point, whichever of Johnson and Gourde is playing C at that moment, Cirelli, Peca, Stephens if he plays C at NHL level, Lipanov, and a slew of other prospects)

Howden is good but redundant here

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Nah Howden is good. I can see him becoming a sort of elite 3c/solid 2c type. But that's a while down the line and Tampa has centers. (Stamkos, Point, whichever of Johnson and Gourde is playing C at that moment, Cirelli, Peca, Stephens if he plays C at NHL level, Lipanov, and a slew of other prospects)

Howden is good but redundant here

I look at our prospects and I see a guy like Yan and I think. "This guy can be a legit NHLer in the future." and that statement really doesn't seem out of place, but in our prospect pool what is he ranked? 20th? Something around there? That is ridiculous. We could afford to get rid of a few prospects to improve now, and apparently Yzerman Agreed. That says nothing about Howden, just that we have plenty of other guys knocking on the door as well.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It's only a steal of we win a cup one of these two years. I disagree that Cirelli is better than Howden too. Cirelli has looked better than I thought I just see more upside in Howden. Again both will be 3rd like centers for several more years anyway so not a massive loss right now but Howden looks more likely to become a 2C and with Stamkos 28 with health concerns we might need a top 6C sooner than we thought. As we've seen with Miller we could use more size and Howden has that over any other center we had.

Hajek was our 3rd best defender but I think he could've seen the NHL in two years. If we resign McDonagh then it's less an issue. Though resigning Mcdonagh means we have to lose a forward or two which is where a Howden would've came in. If we let McDonagh go then the left becomes weak and that's where Hajek could've been the 2nd pair LD.

As for picks for those players you mentioned they'll be lucky to get better than a 4th for any of them. Not really good picks to replace what we lost in high picks and top prospects. If we win a cup either year it doesn't matter so hopefully they get it together.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
lollllllllllllll you guys hoesd the rangers. thanks!
Haha hosed? You don't know much about hockey. Same with everyone that is saying the Rangers got robbed. Either you don't know a lot about hockey, or you hate the Rangers. Let me break it down for you.

1. McDonagh. First of all, McDonagh is kind of overrated. People are acting like he's a top 5 D-man in the league. As someone who routinely watches Rangers games, we all knew as fans that McDonagh is not the same player he once was. Still a great player, but not elite. Second, no one (except maybe Chiarelli or Bergevin) is going to trade a young, cost-controlled player like Sergachev, Point, or Liljegren for an aging D-man like McDonagh. McDonagh is not elite anymore. And even if he was, he's on the wrong side of 28. He has not been very good for the Rangers this year, so naturally, his stock dropped. Also, after hearing McDonagh's contract demands, the Rangers were not going to give him what he wanted, so they traded a guy who they weren't going to sign anyway. Besides, I believe Sergachev and Point are better than him. Not only that, but they have a ton of upside. And like I said, they are cost-controlled and much younger. Youth is valued a lot more in today's NHL. I doubt Yzerman would have even given away Sergachev for Karlsson.

2. Miller and Namestnikov. This I view as a 1 for 1. Miller is a very inconsistent player. Rangers fans appear to be split on him. Some love him. Some hate him. I really liked him, but he was going to ask for a massive pay raise, and the Rangers weren't going to give it to him. It's a similar situation with Namestnikov. I see some TBL fans like him. Some don't. And his stats were inflated by playing alongside Stamkos and Kucherov, so he was going to ask for a big pay raise. But the same thing is going to happen to Miller. Stamkos and Kucherov have inflated his stats. Miller and Vlad are similar players. Honestly, I want the Rangers to trade Vlad while his trade value is still high, unless they can get him for 3.5 mil or less per year. I like his skill, but he also seems inconsistent.

3. Hajek. Hajek immediately becomes the Rangers' best defensive prospect. Experts say he could challenge for a top 4 spot as soon as next season. Even if Hajek is the only player that pans out to his potential from this trade, I will be very happy. Anything more will be a bonus. He was also a last minute add by Yzerman to the trade, so you know Yzerman didn't want to give him up.

4. Howden. I'm not as high on him as some people are, but his value is increasing. He is a safe player. He is not likely to be a bust, but not likely to be anything more than a great 3rd line center. However, I do think it is possible for the Rangers to groom him to become a 2nd line power forward on the wing, kind of like a Kreider-lite. I don't see him as a 2C, but there is potential for him to become a 2nd line winger. More likely that he's a 3C, but only time will tell. Happy with what I see so far with him, although not as thrilled as some Rangers fans.

5. The picks. This draft is very deep, especially in the 1st round. So I'm confident the Rangers pick up a good prospect, even if the pick winds up being 31st overall. And the other pick has a good chance of becoming a 1st. If TBL doesn't win this year, they could still win the following year. They have a hell of a team, so I would not be surprised to see that 2nd rounder turn into a 1st.

All in all, great trade for both teams. Rangers weren't going to re-sign McDonagh, and they get a solid return for him. Could be better, of course, but I'm satisfied. They also rid themselves of a good, but very inconsistent player with concerns about his work ethic. They get a great defensive prospect, a good forward prospect, and the potential for 2 1st round picks. They also get Namestnikov, who could be a solid Miller replacement. He could be a very good pickup. Or he could just be a product of Stamkos and Kucherov. In that case, he is a valuable trading asset.

The Lightning get a proven player with plenty of playoff experience, who could still contribute nicely as a top 4 D-man, for their playoff run. And they take a gamble on Miller, like the gamble the Rangers took on Vlad. Downside is Miller is probably going to cost more than Vlad to the TBL, although he could be a better player than Vlad. And Vlad could be better than him. Point is, there are still a lot of unknowns, and we really won't know who the real winner is going to be until a few years down the road. For now, I believe the Lightning won the trade, but only slightly. The exaggerations are crazy. The way people talk about Yzerman and this trade makes you think he got Karlsson for Girardi and a 1st rounder. People, an aging McDonagh was never going to fetch a young, cost-controlled, superior player like a Sergachev or a Liljegren.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
McDonagh keeps trying to do too much. We already got Hedman, dude. No need to try to play like him. Just lock it down and make some decent passes instead of trying to skate it out all fancy like.

Anyway there is plenty to like about the Rangers return. They didn't get screwed by this deal.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I loved the Namestnikov-Miller swap when the trade happened and even more now as we've seen what Miller is all about. I think he's definitely a tier above Vladdy. And secondly, I've not seen anyone call McDonagh a top 5 d-man. But if someone does then that's definitely overrating him.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
McDonagh keeps trying to do too much. We already got Hedman, dude. No need to try to play like him. Just lock it down and make some decent passes instead of trying to skate it out all fancy like.

Anyway there is plenty to like about the Rangers return. They didn't get screwed by this deal.
I get the sentiment but I still feel it would be a total waste not to use his offense as much as you can. I even think he can join PP every now and then especially ours hasn't been all that great.
As for the fancy staff, welp we've seen quite a few players on this team do careless cross−ice pass anyway. Wonder if this issue can be fixed as a team.
With that said, I understand that he needs to polish his game if he wants to help the team win (the Cup).

I loved the Namestnikov-Miller swap when the trade happened and even more now as we've seen what Miller is all about. I think he's definitely a tier above Vladdy. And secondly, I've not seen anyone call McDonagh a top 5 d-man. But if someone does then that's definitely overrating him.
I have. Not here in HFB though. Like a couple of years ago some fans were discussing how he was the 2-3d best in the league on that year. And when he was traded, one guy said he didn't like the trade since he's just finished 4th according to the certain stats last year. Since I've never seen ppl bringing up advanced stats here much I'm not really talking which stats though (as for the 2-3d one, I don't remember anyway and it's not like I understand them, either:laugh:). Just saying.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
McDonagh is definitely not a top 5 D in the league. He's arguably a #1 on several other teams (obviously not Tampa) the hope was he could be a solid 2nd pair #3 guy for Tampa. He's still adjusting. He's had some good games and some bad.

It's just been nice to rest Hedman a bit before playoffs where he'll play at least 28-30 minutes most likely.

Hoping McD can get rolling come playoffs. Our D really needs to step it up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller >> Namestnikov.

I don't care how inconsistent he is. It's not like Namestnikov is Mr. Consistency.

It's really not close between these two. That part of the deal alone made it a robbery.

Reactions: DaBolts and Stamper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->