Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NJD] Devils trade Blake Coleman to Lightning for Nolan Foote, VAN 2020 1st

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Absolutely and yes.

That's gonna fit really well with us then.

Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Coleman

Or pretty much any combination you can imagine. If he can play the right side, it all works.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So Tampa got Coleman for Miller and Foote?
Yikes
It makes sense from our side though. He can play a role for us that Miller couldn't. Miller was never gonna be as good here as he is in Vancouver. We knew that at the time of the trade.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Coleman was mostly playing with Zajac, Wood and Simmonds in New Jersey. There are literally players on Tampa's fourth line (Gourde and Maroon) who are a step up from that.

I love Coleman and agree with the Zajac, Simmonds and Wood comment, but don't sell Gusev short. He is terrific and definitely helped Blake. Coleman played his best hockey 5 on 5 with Gusev.

Reactions: Smitty426

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
honestly if they put him on the 1st or 2nd line I really he think he could turn into the next Daniel Briere/Mr Playoffs andcould see him getting the Con Smythes trophy if Tampa makes it to the finals. He's not the most skillful guy but he never takes a shift off and has the ability to Will a puck across the goalie line.

Take care of him Tampa :(

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
honestly if they put him on the 1st or 2nd line I really he think he could turn into the next Daniel Briere/Mr Playoffs andcould see him getting the Con Smythes trophy if Tampa makes it to the finals. He's not the most skillful guy but he never takes a shift off and has the ability to Will a puck across the goalie line.

Take care of him Tampa :(

Cooper likes to change his lines up. A lot of people are complaining that we gave all that up for a 3rd liner. If he works hard and has the skill that a lot of NJ fans have been saying in this thread, he may get some top 6 time. As far as Im concerned one of: Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Alex Killorn dont have to be in our top 6 and if Coleman is better or provides more than these guys do, one of them will get pushed down to bottom 6. If he creates some space for some of our top 6 guys then he will probably play there more than people think.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Another poster in here said it best. This is allowed to be both a good trade in terms of player fit for Tampa AND an overpayment for what they gave up. Coleman will bring an extra layer to an already dangerous team. Is he worth a 1st and a b prospect with NHL upside? No, not in a vacuum. He is, however, worth a 1st to a playoff team that had 2, a b prospect in a relatively deep prospect pool with replacement types already, for a team that needs a bit of sandpaper and some more scoring depth for (most importantly) cheap and with cost certainty for another yr. Yes, jersey got more for Coleman than what he should be worth on the open market, but the right set of circumstances absolutely facilitated said overpay. Both teams win (Tampa would be quite satisfied if they get a cup out of it)

Reactions: Double A RON

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Looking forward to seeing him on the Bolts, it absolutely sucks loosing a guy like this, but at least he will have success on a strong team and possibly win a cup. Great player and character

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
brutal. not a fan of selling your future for another first round humiliation.
Tampa still has a first round pick this season and they get two playoff runs from Coleman at a minuscule cap hit. They may have lost the trade value wise but this deal makes sense from a Tampa POV.

I also never liked the N. Foote pick and am not exactly upset at him being traded.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Damn. This is the same price that Pittsburgh paid for Zucker and roughly the same price that Vancouver paid for TJ Miller. For someone who's a 3rd liner at best... seems incredibly expensive.

Tampa still has a first round pick this season and they get two playoff runs from Coleman at a minuscule cap hit. They may have lost the trade value wise but this deal makes sense from a Tampa POV.

I also never liked the N. Foote pick and am not exactly upset at him being traded.

That I agree with. TB is easily one of the top teams in the east and this doesn't really hurt them or their prospect pool. And Coleman isn't a rental. But damn was that price expensive.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I love Coleman and agree with the Zajac, Simmonds and Wood comment, but don't sell Gusev short. He is terrific and definitely helped Blake. Coleman played his best hockey 5 on 5 with Gusev.
Honestly I like that. Because we have two or three gusev types.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We paid to replace killorn next year.

Reactions: Mikey 48

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'll take it. The price may be high but we can always flip him next year.. maybe recoup that 1st...

I doubt it. Coleman in NJ was playing 13:45 at ES per game. That's more than Killorn, Johnson and Gourde play at ES in TB. He's going to get less minutes in TB (no real surprise given that they're a much better and deeper team), and as such will see a decrease in production. If TB tries to flip him in 12 months (which I doubt - I think it's one of the 3 previously named guys who get moved), his value won't be what TB just paid today. Even if it's this summer, I don't see a team paying a 1st+ high quality prospect for him.

What's more likely is TB flips one of TJ, Killorn or Gourde to recoup some/all of the assets they paid for Coleman.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I doubt it. Coleman in NJ was playing 13:45 at ES per game. That's more than Killorn, Johnson and Gourde play at ES in TB. He's going to get less minutes in TB (no real surprise given that they're a much better and deeper team), and as such will see a decrease in production. If TB tries to flip him in 12 months (which I doubt - I think it's one of the 3 previously named guys who get moved), his value won't be what TB just paid today. Even if it's this summer, I don't see a team paying a 1st+ high quality prospect for him.

What's more likely is TB flips one of TJ, Killorn or Gourde to recoup some/all of the assets they paid for Coleman.

Issue is TJ and Gourde have extremely limited NTCs. Killorn is the likely causality.

Although, I personally see Tampa not winning this year and moving Stamkos. Then with those assets winning next year.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Honestly I like that. Because we have two or three gusev types.

You're gonna love Coleman, no doubt. Guy is a tremendous player. Very sad to see him go. Just had to give the Goose a little love as he is no offensive scrub and Coleman absolutely played his best hockey with him. If you can pair him with a guy like that, you'll be very happy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're gonna love Coleman, no doubt. Guy is a tremendous player. Very sad to see him go. Just had to give the Goose a little love as he is no offensive scrub and Coleman absolutely played his best hockey with him. If you can pair him with a guy like that, you'll be very happy.

Good. My main thing is I'm hoping we can play him in the top six to help facilitate, via physicality and net presence, for the big scorers. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Kucherov and Johnson have had dominant playoff performances while playing with Odrej Palat, who provided that kind of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad