Confirmed with Link: [TBL/MTL] D Mikhail Sergachev + cond. 2nd (2018) for L Jonathan Drouin + cond. 6th (2018)

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
So how is Cooper keeping Drouin from playing at a PPG pace while he's in Montreal? Probably some type of a hex or spell, maybe those who are more knowledgeable in the dark arts can explain.

Shhhhhhhh it's always Cooper's fault. Do you really want to be an outcast on this forum? Sheesh...

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Producing at the same rate as he was on the Lightning with a weaker team, weaker PP and out of position. Don't know if it's dumber to play him at C or thinking he'd produce PPG there.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Producing at the same rate as he was on the Lightning with a weaker team, weaker PP and out of position. Don't know if it's dumber to play him at C or thinking he'd produce PPG there.

Pretty much. We can look at Drouin's numbers in a vacuum and think we made out like bandits. Certainly the early returns on Sergachev and this team have been nice. But I'll stand by the belief that Drouin, personally, will do perfectly well long-term in Montreal, even if the Habs themselves struggle. And of course I'll stand by my belief that Cooper mismanaged the hellout of him.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
I just read through the MTL post game thread and they are turning on Drouin big time. Thought he would get a honeymoon for being French but those fans are brutal. I was highly skeptical about the Drouin trade but man was I wrong. Gourde is essentially our 2RW replacement for Drouin and he forechecks and backchecks (unlike Drouin) like a rat terrier on LSD and is on pace to score as much as Drouin did last year (without #1 PP time). Factor in what Serg brings and that trade was a huge win. Sorry I ever doubted Yzerman and company.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I just read through the MTL post game thread and they are turning on Drouin big time. Thought he would get a honeymoon for being French but those fans are brutal. I was highly skeptical about the Drouin trade but man was I wrong. Gourde is essentially our 2RW replacement for Drouin and he forechecks and backchecks (unlike Drouin) like a rat terrier on LSD and is on pace to score as much as Drouin did last year (without #1 PP time). Factor in what Serg brings and that trade was a huge win. Sorry I ever doubted Yzerman and company.
The French teflon vest only takes you so far. At some point people will dig through it and look for accountability.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Quite a few pleasant surprises so far this year. Sergy, Namestnikov, Girardi. Gourde to me though, is the biggest surprise.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
If Drouin thought playing for Cooper was difficult then he should really love playing for Claude Julien! Roll eyes here!

Reactions: NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To me the biggest surprise is either Point or Stamkos. Stamkos doesn't look like "the old stamkos," he looks like an entirely new stamkos. and as high as I've been on Point, I wasn't expecting him to pass the eye test for a ppg player.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Drouin looks slow every time I see him. The extra gear is long gone.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Drouin's been pretty invisible the past week or so. Sure he'll make a nice pass or two each game but he's not looking like a guy that can carry a team right now. Maybe he's hurt? It's hard to tell with him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Drouin's been pretty invisible the past week or so. Sure he'll make a nice pass or two each game but he's not looking like a guy that can carry a team right now. Maybe he's hurt? It's hard to tell with him.

His 5v5 game has always been a question mark in Tampa. He disappeared for some time only to look unstoppable doing all by himself for the next 2 weeks and vice versa. He just doesn't have the thing to make his linemates better IMO, hence his poor point production relative to his immense talent.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I watched the Stars-Habs game on Tuesday and I honestly forgot Drouin was even on that team until they mentioned his name once halfway through the game. And that was the only time I noticed him in the game. I don't know if it was just an off night for him but he might as well have not even been playing.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
So far it appears we benefited more than Habs even without the extra draft pick since no way we send Serg To junior team. He was exactly what we need and probably best move Steve Y could have made. We know Drouin is great player but not the type to lead a team out of a funk. Lot of pressure on Drouin and pretty obvious they needed to keep Serg because their backend has been the worst in the league. The Habs have left Price exposed and now he will be an average goalie making 10m
Habs could use Sustr!

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Drouin had problems with 5 v 5 chemistry. Yeah, he looked good with Kucherov ... but Kucherov looks good with everyone/anyone so that is not really saying anything about Drouin. I thought the kid would be a super star stapled next to Stamkos. The numbers that Kuch and Stamkos are generating ... throught that would be Drouin and Stamkos to be honest.

I initially had mixed feelings about the trade. I thought ... why trade Drouin for a young LHD defenseman when Koekkoek just got done leading the Crunch on a Calder Cup run and we have a pretty nice pipeline of young LHD. Why give up on the hope of a special formidable duo in Stamkos/Drouin. Then I remembered how much I disliked Drouin. And secretly / subconsciously wanted him to fail ... so at the end I liked the trade more because he was a player I didn't like going to a team I didn't like. And we were getting back not only an awesome player but another pick, which was gravy. I really didn't know Serg would be this good this fast.

As to his playing problems. He is playing at Center ... and I get that is not his best position. But the kid is going on his what 3rd or 4th year and has not learned that you can't go at hyper speed 100% of the time and that you have to slow down the game and take the time to see the play develop. He is going too fast too furious all the time ... whereas a player like Kuch uses his speed when he needs to use his speed and slows down the play for everyone because they both have the stick handles and vision just Kuch uses it much more intelligently / effectively.

Yzerman solidly won this trade outright ...

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
Sorry but putting the words "we all know Drouin is a great player" does not make it so. What in your estimation has he done to earn that praise???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad