Waived: (TBL) Mike Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Only sign him if he's completely disgusted by the idea of playing for the Isles...otherwise, no.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
Unless the plan is to have Poulin get 2/3 of the starts the rest of the way I say claim Smith and let him ride out the season on the pine.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I figure Poulin will play half the games to finish up the season. But with his play besides his slow starts I really can't think of a reason to think about sending him to Bridgeport. It almost seems selfish for this board to think he's better off there. He doesn't look even the slightest bit overwhelmed here especially with the team in front of him. Hell even take Hamonic for example. No one is saying to send him down and defensemen take awhile to develop too.

If Poulin didn't look capable I'd take Smith but since he looks good to go I say pass.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Poulin is our full time backup/starter goalie.. this nonsense that he is young is ridiculous. Cam Ward was 20 and he won the Stanley Cup plus he is carrying the daily load for the Hurricanes.

Barraso was 18 and he started in a league when they were players averaging 50 + goals a season.

Poulin is a big boy and so far he has proven to be a good player ready to take on the task. He can start 30-40 games next season and keep Gods Chosen goalie rested in between starts and shattered hips

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Poulin is our full time backup/starter goalie.. this nonsense that he is young is ridiculous. Cam Ward was 20 and he won the Stanley Cup plus he is carrying the daily load for the Hurricanes.

Barraso was 18 and he started in a league when they were players averaging 50 + goals a season.

To be fair, those players are the exception, plus they were playing for good teams, not one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Every player is different. Poulin has shown that he's raw but has promise. He's also been inconsistent and has a habit of shaky starts.... signs that he may need more developmental time in a developmental league.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
This is a tough one.

This season is a wash.

If Snow & Co. really want KP to develop in the Bridge, you pick him up.

But, he's been waived for a reason and ever since that knock on the head, he hasn't been what he usually is.

I say, pick 'em up. The season is a wash. What else do we have to lose?

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
To be fair, those players are the exception, plus they were playing for good teams, not one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Every player is different. Poulin has shown that he's raw but has promise. He's also been inconsistent and has a habit of shaky starts.... signs that he may need more developmental time in a developmental league.
Do you do absolutely everything to be sure your child has been prepared for life? Yes.

Do you carefully monitor and weigh all options when making an investment decision? Yes.

It's an Islander prospect? Throw him to the wolves, we wanna "see what he can do!"

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I figure Poulin will play half the games to finish up the season. But with his play besides his slow starts I really can't think of a reason to think about sending him to Bridgeport. It almost seems selfish for this board to think he's better off there. He doesn't look even the slightest bit overwhelmed here especially with the team in front of him. Hell even take Hamonic for example. No one is saying to send him down and defensemen take awhile to develop too.

If Poulin didn't look capable I'd take Smith but since he looks good to go I say pass.
I wouldn't mind if Hamonic were sent down a little longer, but I'm comfy with him up because:

a. he's a defenseman.
b. he's nearly got his NHL game.
c. His minor league coach is already up with the NHL team.

(it's different for goalies. He needs to reach excellence in the AHL I believe if he can be excellent in the NHL)

(and yes, some goalies are ready earlier, some are not like Tim Thomas or Dwayne "Yzerman Ripped My Former GM a New One" Roloson)

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
I could see the Isles doing this now so maybe so he could earn a spot for next season? I think Poulin is ready though. I would say let Poulin play with this young team in front of him. This is on the job training in my eyes. In some ways I think he has outgrown the ahl already. Tough decision but Poulin and DP are a nice duo. Splitting games next season would be ideal. Smith couldnt stick with Dallas or Tampa, that kind of scares me a little.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Let me make this as clear as I can. You simply CANNOT make the decision about whether or not Poulin should, or should not, stay up with the big club the rest of the way from behind a TV or a keyboard.

A decision such as this includes A LOT more than what you see in the less than 3 hours of a hockey game. You cannot gauge his maturity level without being around him on a daily basis to see how he carries himself, how he prepares, how he practices, how he handles the media, etc.

All these VERY IMPORTANT ingredients are missing from any fans dissertation on whether or not he should stay or go because they simply do not have the access to ascertain them...just that simple. We can speculate on it, debate it, even argue it but none of us know for sure if he can handle the rigors of being an NHL goaltender from where we sit.

There is no fool proof formula to help guide these decisions either and that's why the aforementioned information is something essential to making this call one way or the other. What one 20 year old can handle will ruin the one sitting next to him. It's all relative to the maturity level of the individual and that is NOT something you can get a handle on by simply watching him play 60 minutes of hockey a couple of times a week from your couch...

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Poulin is a big boy and so far he has proven to be a good player ready to take on the task. He can start 30-40 games next season and keep Gods Chosen goalie rested in between starts and shattered hips

thats great.....for next season.

i would claim him and send poulin down for the rest of the season. it looks to me like poulin is only a heartbeat away from being ready for the big league game, and id like to see him get that final touch in bridge port.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Poulin has three straight outstanding games (allowing only 4 goals), all on the road against playoff contenders. He is looking more solid every day, and reports are that he's got plenty of confidence on and off the ice. Looks like his "seasoning" is happening right before our eyes. Can't see how Bridgeport would be any better for him.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
thats great.....for next season.

i would claim him and send poulin down for the rest of the season. it looks to me like poulin is only a heartbeat away from being ready for the big league game, and id like to see him get that final touch in bridge port.

Poulin is not our starter.. Rick Dipietro is!! KP will split time with him and maybe possibly learn a thing or two from DP. He will win games and lose games but I dont see us making any huge FA signings in the goalie department this off season. All the more reason why the 20 yr old stays and learns with the big boys.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
At this point just leave him where he is, Bport is 7 points out of a playoff spot and they are coming off a 1 win month. The only reason they are even 7 points out is because Poulin stole games and points regularly. Bports team is the biggest joke of a minor league franchise since the New Haven Senators. They are at best a glorified ECHL that would most likely lose to a good ECHL team.
The only players that are playing at there level or above there level are Haley and Katic.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Poulin is not our starter.. Rick Dipietro is!! KP will split time with him and maybe possibly learn a thing or two from DP. He will win games and lose games but I dont see us making any huge FA signings in the goalie department this off season. All the more reason why the 20 yr old stays and learns with the big boys.

Let's hope not.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Let's hope not.

haha well im not a DP supporter but he has alot of experience playing in the NCAA, Olympics etc and can pass it along and give advice. He can play an elder statesmen type role!!

He isnt going to teach KP how to block shots.. I figure since Dipietro will be injured again and again, its the least he can provide for the team.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland

please point out when or where i said poulin is the islanders starter.
so far you mentioned poulin starting "30-40 games next season" and "free agent signings this off season". hows about we worry about the remainder of this season first.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
please point out when or where i said poulin is the islanders starter.
so far you mentioned poulin starting "30-40 games next season" and "free agent signings this off season". hows about we worry about the remainder of this season first.

sneeky pete, why isnt wishart on the tigers roster?

1 - Your talking about Poulin on how he needs to be sent down as if he is so fragile and cant stand the heat. He is the back up and right now the solid back up!!!

2 - Yes he can and probably will play 30/40 games a year

3 - This season ended in October!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad