Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Ethan Gauthier signs ELC with the Lightning (3 years, $896.667k AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting timing. But i guess there's really no "wrong time" to get business like that squared away.

He's one of those guys who feels like a pretty safe bet to at least be a player. Potentially sooner, rather than later even. Even if that's as a chippy, gritty 4th line energy guy, if the ceiling isn't there. I think he's got more skill than he was credited with by a lot of people at the draft though.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting timing. But i guess there's really no "wrong time" to get business like that squared away.

He's one of those guys who feels like a pretty safe bet to at least be a player. Potentially sooner, rather than later even. Even if that's as a chippy, gritty 4th line energy guy, if the ceiling isn't there. I think he's got more skill than he was credited with by a lot of people at the draft though.

That pretty much defines Tampa’s drafting over the last several years. No shortage of guys in the system who will be able to play lesser roles in the league, but also no truly high-potential talents. The Bolts can fill their lower line vacancies but need somebody to surprise to the upside to actually make a significant impact in a top-6/top-4 role.

Reactions: Outl4w

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That pretty much defines Tampa’s drafting over the last several years. No shortage of guys in the system who will be able to play lesser roles in the league, but also no truly high-potential talents. The Bolts can fill their lower line vacancies but need somebody to surprise to the upside to actually make a significant impact in a top-6/top-4 role.

Yeah. Back when they were really rolling, it seemed like they were sniping some gems out of nowhere to become impact players. Guys like Point, Gourde, Palat, et al. More recently, it's felt like they're drafting more to just keep the pipeline flowing with depth players on dirt cheap deals. Also important to their strategy, but as some of the core players start getting older...they're gonna have to find a way to replace some of that impact. :dunno:

I think Gauthier was great value where they got him in the draft though. Kinda hard to turn that down, just because the absolute "ceiling" might not be sky high there.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
They’re gonna have to down the Hagel road and start trading assets(Stamkos) for young high end assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad