Proposal: TB-WPG, TB-DET

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
TB trades: Killorn/Gourde, Joseph, and a 2020 3rd
WPG trades: Vesalainen

Tampa moves out Killorn or Gourde for cap space and gets a prospect who can fill in the bottom 9 right away

Winnipeg gets a top 6 forward , a young 3rd line winger and a pick

TB trades: Johnson, 2020 4th
DET trades: WSH 2020 2nd

Tampa clears more cap and moves up in the draft, Johnson waives to get more ice time and play under Yzerman again

Detroit gets a 2nd line center to fill in as a veteran presence who can still produce, and moves back 60ish spots in the draft

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Gourde will not waive for Winnipeg, and Killorn is a good player, but we dont need more wingers

Reactions: hn777

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm one of the few Wings fans who would do that deal, and proposed something similar on our board earlier in the year.

I think Yzerman needs to show core guys that he will get them help and Johnson is a solid veteran F who can play C/W in the top 6/9 until his contract expires.

He comes a little rich but that's why he is so affordable in a trade.

The team can still try Fabbri as a 2C and put Johnson on his RW if they want. Makes Zadina earn a top 6 role. If Fabbri fails at C then Johnson can take over.

I also fully believe his numbers will spike back up in Detroit due simply to TOI and usage. He would be on PP1 and probably among the leaders in ES TOI for Fs on the team, behind only Larkin and maybe Mantha?

I don't think he would be a ~70 point player again, but somewhere between 50-60 points for most of the rest of his contract is more than fair based on his cap hit.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Barring a trade of a current winger, there’s no need for more wingers on the Jets. Jets need to allocate their available cap space to a 2C and maybe one top 4 D.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I came in ready to dislike the Johnson deal, but I don't hate it. While I'd prefer to use the Wings cap space to take on bad contracts. Johnson would be an interesting buy low candidate and he'd fit in as the 2C behind Larkin and as of now he isn't blocking any of our prospects.

I wouldn't hate the deal, but it also wouldn't be one of the first ones I make. The question I have is what value would he have should the Wings decide to trade him again? Would a 55 point Johnson be worth anything of interest to other teams if the Wings retained 50%?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
As a Wings fan no thanks. Tyler Johnson is a winger now and that is where he fits best. He is not going to be the guy to anchor a 2nd line in Detroit to advance our shit team.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I came in ready to dislike the Johnson deal, but I don't hate it. While I'd prefer to use the Wings cap space to take on bad contracts. Johnson would be an interesting buy low candidate and he'd fit in as the 2C behind Larkin and as of now he isn't blocking any of our prospects.

I wouldn't hate the deal, but it also wouldn't be one of the first ones I make. The question I have is what value would he have should the Wings decide to trade him again? Would a 55 point Johnson be worth anything of interest to other teams if the Wings retained 50%?
i think if you traded him to Seattle (hometown team) after the expansion draft, you could probably fetch a decent prospect or decent pick for him depending on how well he does

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Detroit is awful

We take cap dumps for picks and prospects, not give them up.
Johnson isnt really a cap dump, hes a decent 2nd line center who got stuck behind Point, Stamkos, and Cirelli so he moved to the wing. he can kill penalties and brings a veteran presence to a group of young guys. can still produce 20 goals a year with the right amount of ice time and could probably put up 50+ points

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't mind Johnson in Detroit, but I don't think we'd have to part with a 2nd because in theory we are the team doing you a favor. I would take Johnson for a 6th rounder or something.

I guess we'll help you guys out with your cap crunch and take Cirelli off your hands :sarcasm:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Detroit is awful

We take cap dumps for picks and prospects, not give them up.

I'd tend to agree, but in this case I think it would be made with the expectation of trading Johnson down the line. Assuming it costs what the OP suggested, perhaps its more like a 3rd or 4th, the Wings fall about 60 spots to make the trade. It wouldn't shock me to see him being dealt for a lot more in a year or two.

Assuming that Johnson produces with his increased TOI he should be an attractive TD piece for a contending team. On a normal TD I'd think the Wings could get a 2nd+3rd, similar to the Nyquist or Johansson deals. We also saw what players on cheap contracts can go for this TD and I wonder what Johnson with 40-50% retained could get on the open market. Johnsson at 2.5M for 2 or 3 seasons would be an interesting piece for a ton of contenders that are looking for added scoring.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
DET doesn't "need" to take on cap casualties & dumps. TBL & ~20+ other teams Need To dump their casualties & caps. After accounting for internal caps (~20+ teams) per SN (they had a list last week), + the teams already w/o cap space + current internal cap teams = ~5-7 teams that can & possibly will take on casualties & dumps. That's a handful of teams vs. ~25...

TJ + 2nd for 7th + minor leaguer (cheap warm body). I could care less if the Wings got TJ. No bias here, as TBL are my 3rd favorite team.

That is more in line with the cap squeeze, lots of nervous GM's right now. Cap space is a finite amount, unlike USD, you can't just print more & put it in circulation.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's safe to say that regardless of the destination, Lightning players are going to do everything they can to exercise their full or modified no trade/movement clauses to remain right where they are in Tampa. It's a low-tax state, a warm-weather city, and the team is ultra competitive every year.

This proposal has players with trade protection, and the destination is Winnipeg. What are the odds that every NHL player with some trade protection in his contract has Winnipeg on the list? It's got to be fairly high.

Per Cap Friendly, players with full NTC or NMC protection include Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Hedman, McDonough and Coburn. Partial NTC for Killorn.

(Source: Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps)

Reactions: BStinson

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Killorn by himself returns more than Vesalainen. Tampa Bay isn't going to have to add.
He might return a prospect like Vesalainen from a different team but there’s no chance Winnipeg would do Ves for Killorn. And Killorn isn’t likely to waive to WPG so it’s kinda moot anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad