Speculation: TB/NYR - Another Deadline Deal??

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Really? I mean you're getting Skjei as well while dumping Callahan. If anything it seems like it's rougher for the Rags as it's Skjei+Kreider for Sergachev and a cap dump.

Sergachev has a ton of value with us. More than people seem to realize. Half our fanbase didn't want to include him in a deal for Karlsson, and it appears Yzerman was on board with them. (Personally, I would have pulled that trigger, but just using the example to illustrate a point--we see him as a huge part of our future on D.)

I also don't think we're at all interested in dumping Callahan right now. That's for the off-season, when we need the money. He's actually still a contributing member of the team so long as we keep him healthy (by resting him a lot), and I don't see us paying a premium to get worse for this year's playoffs. Losing him does make us worse, and we won't need the cap space until next year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We already have four RD that we’ve been rotating to get everyone playing time. That isn’t an area of need for us.

I only see Stralman, Girardi and Cernak on CapFriendly. Rutta and Foote in the minors. Who's the 4th?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think if Foote, Radish level prospects are off the table, and the value of that pick becoming a guaranteed 1st can not be figured, I'm not sure much can happen besides something either very minor or something way more complex that likely does not make any sense.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I can't see anything at the deadline happening between the two but i imagine at the draft the rangers will take on Cally to help with tampas cap struggles.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to Zuc. I think there's bigger fish TB can chase this season though.

If they're not gonna add grit, I want home run swings or nothing.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sergachev is playing the right side this year.

Ah, okay. I thought I had read that you guys were looking for a depth dman. Thought you were looking for a righty, but if Sergachev is playing the right side, then maybe you need a lefty. We've got plenty of those too, but probably none that you'd want :P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ah, okay. I thought I had read that you guys were looking for a depth dman. Thought you were looking for a righty, but if Sergachev is playing the right side, then maybe you need a lefty. We've got plenty of those too, but probably none that you'd want :P

It seems we are. I think we want a depth guy who would be an improvement on Girardi, or somebody who might stick around next year, in which case Girardi or Coburn would probably be part of the deal.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Really? I mean you're getting Skjei as well while dumping Callahan. If anything it seems like it's rougher for the Rags as it's Skjei+Kreider for Sergachev and a cap dump.

We aren’t trading a young blue chip defenseman with another year left on his ELC. Serg has played top four minutes for us this season and will almost certainly be in our top four next season; he isn’t for sale.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

We’ll ideally want a cheap bottom pairing defenseman for next season, but we don’t need one now.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Claesson

Contrary to most opinions, if I were looking for a bottom pair D who could play both sides, who had a low cap hit and even still an RFA at seasons end, I'd be interested in him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think if Foote, Radish level prospects are off the table, and the value of that pick becoming a guaranteed 1st can not be figured, I'm not sure much can happen besides something either very minor or something way more complex that likely does not make any sense.

Given the situation we have coming up with our D, I can't see us parting with Foote. He's quite likely to be on our team next year out of necessity, even if he's not quite ready.

Raddysh, I think, because of our logjam at forward, could be made available. But we might save him for the off-season, in case that's the kind of price we have to pay to get Cally off the books. I don't think we WANT to, and I'm not sure we would, but we might want to have the option available.

Reactions: Off Sides

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It seems we are. I think we want a depth guy who would be an improvement on Girardi, or somebody who might stick around next year, in which case Girardi or Coburn would probably be part of the deal.

Yeah, that could be possible. Problem is we don’t know how much money we’ll have for a depth defenseman next season until we know how much Point will cost and what if anything we’ll be able to do with Callahan, so there would be some risk involved unless the guy we’re getting is cheap and good enough to easily flip if necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Keeping the conversation civil (our fanbases should be familiar enough with each other to do this, and usually we're able to), I'm just curious: SHOULD NY deal Kreider at this year's deadline? Not even to TB, but just in general, is this the time? I'm thinking mainly about Karlsson, and how, in hindsight, it seems like Ottawa handcuffed themselves by not dealing him when he still had two playoff runs left on his contract, which would have gotten them, presumably, a much better return.

Again, not even talking about TB, just in general, I'm curious to know if NY fans think Kreider should be available or if they see him as part of the retool/rebuild.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Given the situation we have coming up with our D, I can't see us parting with Foote. He's quite likely to be on our team next year out of necessity, even if he's not quite ready.

Raddysh, I think, because of our logjam at forward, could be made available. But we might save him for the off-season, in case that's the kind of price we have to pay to get Cally off the books. I don't think we WANT to, and I'm not sure we would, but we might want to have the option available.

I would keep Raddysh off the table only because we’re short on both prospects with legitimate top six potential and natural RW prospects, and Raddysh represents both. Of course if our staff gives up on him reaching his potential then he would be available regardless, but as long as we think he might get there I’d hold onto him unless the return is something that benefits us beyond shedding Callahan’s contract. We can do that much more cheaply IMO.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Keeping the conversation civil (our fanbases should be familiar enough with each other to do this, and usually we're able to), I'm just curious: SHOULD NY deal Kreider at this year's deadline? Not even to TB, but just in general, is this the time? I'm thinking mainly about Karlsson, and how, in hindsight, it seems like Ottawa handcuffed themselves by not dealing him when he still had two playoff runs left on his contract, which would have gotten them, presumably, a much better return.

Again, not even talking about TB, just in general, I'm curious to know if NY fans think Kreider should be available or if they see him as part of the retool/rebuild.

I think they should move him, others disagree.

I don't think there is an easy solution.

On one hand he is worth his remaining term, these playoffs, next regular season, next playoffs. To me that spells out two rental like returns plus something for that regular season at that cap hit all rolled into one. Yet I don't think any team offers that or that the Rangers would accept it. So it's a strange place where even if they received what his remaining term left was worth in a vacuum, no one including the Rangers are likely to want that sort of return.

But I'm still thinking it's better to look for something like that than to wait. Anyway if you read the Rangers board you'll see all the debates, we just had one today.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would keep Raddysh off the table only because we’re short on both prospects with legitimate top six potential and natural RW prospects, and Raddysh represents both. Of course if our staff gives up on him reaching his potential then he would be available regardless, but as long as we think he might get there I’d hold onto him unless the return is something that benefits us beyond shedding Callahan’s contract. We can do that much more cheaply IMO.

Agreed, but I do think we need safety nets for worst case scenarios. Like: Montreal (or whoever) swoops in and makes a $12m offer sheet on Point. I think we still match. Doing so requires clearing Callahan's full salary, and teams know it, and we're gonna have to pay a good prospect to do it. I think in a case like that, or something similar, we'd pay Raddysh, and we probably want to keep him around so teams don't start demanding Foote.

I think that scenario is unlikely, but it's not SO unlikely that we shouldn't have some kind of contingency plan in place. Like, a way to get Cally off the books if it's the difference between keeping and losing Point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think they should move him, others disagree.

I don't think there is an easy solution.

On one hand he is worth his remaining term, these playoffs, next regular season, next playoffs. To me that spells out two rental like returns plus something for that regular season at that cap hit all rolled into one. Yet I don't think any team offers that or that the Rangers would accept it. So it's a strange place where even if they received what his remaining term left was worth in a vacuum, no one including the Rangers are likely to want that sort of return.

But I'm still thinking it's better to look for something like that than to wait. Anyway if you read the Rangers board you'll see all the debates, we just had one today.

Yeah, that's why I asked. He's at that perfect age, cap hit, and term to put him into a weird sort of limbo where the correct path forward isn't crystal clear. Maybe it's a case where you set your price (high), and if nobody meets it, you shrug and move on?

I don't know what kind of faith you have in your scouting staff, but he could get a quantity over quality package that would help jumpstart the rebuild. I don't think he can return you a centerpiece, considering Karlsson couldn't, but he could probably get a better package than Karlsson.

Honestly I think I'd rather have him in TB than Yanni Gourde, and I'm a huge Gourde fan. But if we could somehow acquire him, I think I'd be okay with dealing Gourde in the off-season to make space for next year. Unless Kreider is a massive failure in the playoffs.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
My thinking is that given our cap situation and the organizational philosophy that any trade has to make us better not just in the current season but going forward as well, pretty much all our young ELC players and top prospects are off the table unless we’re bringing back someone of similar ability, cost, and term. We simply can’t afford to get older and more expensive and we won’t make it through the next few years of cap crunch by trading away our cost-controlled youth, especially after the McDonagh trade weakened our organizational depth.

On the other hand what I could see us doing is trading one of our ~$5M complementary players for a better or at least different player with fewer years left on his deal - the idea being that we would upgrade or at least mix things up in the short term while gaining cap flexibility in the longer term. It would have to be for the right piece as we would both be losing a good player and foregoing the futures we might have otherwise gotten for him, but such a move would at least check the boxes of improving us both immediately and in the long run and it would do so without harming us capwise.

IMO the two most likely pieces to be used in such a trade would be Miller and Gourde. Obviously Miller back to NY seems unlikely, but perhaps something around Kreider and Gourde could be interesting. It would mean giving up term and a guy who we know fits into our team and who we just signed to an extension, so there would obviously be a lot of risk on our side. But in the short term we would gain some much needed size up front and in the longer term we would have more flexibility capwise as we could either seek to resign Kreider in a couple years or let him walk to pay our RFAs. Not saying it’s something we would do and I haven’t put a lot of thought into analyzing this trade; I’m just saying that if we were to go after Kreider that it would have to be somebody like Miller or Gourde going back and not somebody like Sergachev.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To Rangers : Callahan + 2nd round pick .

To Tampa: 5th round pick or a B prospect

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not sure Gourde is the player the Rangers would or should have in mind.

I think they'd mostly be looking for prospects and picks. They'd probably be willing in my estimation, to take back cap hits that teams did not want along with to make the prospects and picks happen, yet I'm not sure they are going to take on any older players that go beyond the Spooner, Namestnikov, types where it's part of some larger deal where they also get back the Howden, Hajek, types, along with picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad