Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Cory Conacher (1 year 575k)

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
No risk, likely no reward.

I wouldn't die from shock if he proved to be moderately useful for a time either.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I never knew HF cared so much about Jeff Vinik potentially spending the ~$300k difference between a one way and two way deal in the AHL.

Exactly. It has almost no implications on TB cap because they get up to 950k cap relief for burying a contract.

A 2 way likely wasn't an option. They had to offer something competitive to what Conacher could make in Europe.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's because people might be afraid that being on a one way contract might mean there's a better chance the player will be given longer rope or kept in the NHL, rather than banished to the minors.

I'm not sure if Tampa has had a lot players one cheap one way contracts and stuck them in the minors lately, but they certainly aren't a cheap/budget organization.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
As an AHL vet that scores at a superb clip at every level except the NHL, you're looking at a two-way contract with an AHL salary of 475k. Is this really a big deal or surprising? It can all be buried anyway...

Heck with how he's been scoring, I bet he could get a 600k-800k contract from some of the top European teams.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
As a fan of the sens I can't help but chuckle at this. I'm all for a comeback story, but it's hard to stomach the Bishop trade as is,.. surely it can't get worse!?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,we took a chance on trading for Bishop as he had no nhl experience.We then traded the soon to be UFA with 27 games of nhl experience .In the end we traded a 2nd rounder and ended up with Conacher and a 4th ,the trade only looks bad when you only see one side of the coin

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Like someone else said: no risk and probably no reward. He'll replace Marchassault and that'll probably be his biggest contribution. 5-10 points at the end of the year and he can be on his way.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds expectations. Popular player when he was here and folks were surprised when we dealt him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds expectations. Popular player when he was here and folks were surprised when we dealt him.

It's interesting that some TB fans remember him fondly. He was absolutely terrible with the Isles, he got to play 10+ games on Tavares' wing and he was brutal. He was always chasing the puck like a dog fetching a bone and he literally 'took out' Tavares about half a dozen times by crashing into him in the offensive zone. I was in awe of the complete lack of hockey IQ and instincts that he exhibited.

The best thing about him was his nickname... Coma Chef - a result of an autocorrect fail.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
tumblr_nky040rB511svy70xo1_500.gif

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's interesting that some TB fans remember him fondly. He was absolutely terrible with the Isles, he got to play 10+ games on Tavares' wing and he was brutal. He was always chasing the puck like a dog fetching a bone and he literally 'took out' Tavares about half a dozen times by crashing into him in the offensive zone. I was in awe of the complete lack of hockey IQ and instincts that he exhibited.

The best thing about him was his nickname... Coma Chef - a result of an autocorrect fail.

Probably why he's trying his luck in TB where he made a name for himself. If he can't do it here chances are he won't be able to at all.

Damifino

Dec 23, 2013
FL Keys
Stick my neck out and predict he is on the roster next year as a depth/4th liner energy contribution. @<600k total win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->