Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Cory Conacher (1 year 575k)

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Now all we need is for Cory to suddenly turn into a legitimate top-six forward and Yzerman's plan to royally piss off Ottawa fans will be complete. :D

Seriously, I love this signing: if he works out he's a Marchessault replacement for $200k less; if not he has zero impact on our cap situation. Much better than improving our depth scoring by signing an overpaid UFA on a multi-year deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Thanks, I didn't know contracts were cap-exempt under $950k.

Not cap exempt at an NHL level, but if he is sent to the minors, TB gets up to 950k of cap relief. So in essence, it is the exact same as a two way deal once the season starts as far as Tampa's cap is concerned.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Now all we need is for Cory to suddenly turn into a legitimate top-six forward and Yzerman's plan to royally piss off Ottawa fans will be complete. :D

Seriously, I love this signing: if he works out he's a Marchessault replacement for $200k less; if not he has zero impact on our cap situation. Much better than improving our depth scoring by signing an overpaid UFA on a multi-year deal.

I am an Ottawa fan and I hope Conacher is an awesome signing. Great guy, pretty good player. I will cheer for him to be good as an Ottawa fan.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Wouldn't shock me if bishop isn't on the team come fall which makes this hilarious

I'd be pretty surprised. Unless Dallas decides to part with Honka there's really not much out there at this point that would be worth hurting our Cup chances for next season over. Unless the return is substantial I'd much rather chase a championship with Bish. And even if Yzerman is intent on getting some sort of a return for Bishop he'd probably get some better offers during the season as teams become desperate.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It would be cool to see him get back to his good play in TB again. He played hard for Cooper back in the day, maybe he can again.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
My prediction: He gets 20 games, gets waived, and goes unclaimed. (Full disclosure: I didn't like the Bishop trade and I didn't think much of him during his days in Ottawa.)

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Im very excited about this pickup. At the worst, he's waived and has no long term ill effect. At the best, he turns his career around with us. I could absolutely see him finding a place on our third line pretty quick. Even as a chippy fourth liner with scoring potential would make him worth bringing back.

I really hope he works out. We all loved him in Tampa and I hated that he didnt work out in the NHL.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Him and Johnson had excellent chemistry back in Norfolk/Syracuse. Maybe they could put him on the line with the Triplets and move one of Palat/Kucherov on the Drouin/Stamkos line.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

This is a tweet from when the trade was initially made.

I understand the skepticism at the time, just because of how frickin awful the Lindback trade winded up being.

The sad part is that in all reality, he wound up giving up less value for Bishop than that POS Lindback.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Who did Ottawa end up drafting with that 4th rounder?

Tobias Lindberg.

Lindberg's value went up in his +1 year. That added value was leveraged in a trade with Toronto when Ottawa effectively acquired Phaneuf for Lindberg and a 2nd.

At times, Lindberg didn't meet expectations in Binghamton, but he still had 22 points in 34 games as a rookie. It seems like there is a good chance Lindberg will at the very least be an NHLer.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Tobias Lindberg.

Lindberg's value went up in his +1 year. That added value was leveraged in a trade with Toronto when Ottawa effectively acquired Phaneuf for Lindberg and a 2nd.

At times, Lindberg didn't meet expectations in Binghamton, but he still had 22 points in 34 games as a rookie. It seems like there is a good chance Lindberg will at the very least be an NHLer.

I think he will be. I thought he had some good changes to his game last season that don't always show on the stats. Toronto should have a guy that will do well I think. Maybe not this year, but next year is when I'd expect him to be a legitimate roster contender. I think he plays about 30 games this year, depending on injury. JMO.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Im very excited about this pickup. At the worst, he's waived and has no long term ill effect. At the best, he turns his career around with us. I could absolutely see him finding a place on our third line pretty quick. Even as a chippy fourth liner with scoring potential would make him worth bringing back.

I really hope he works out. We all loved him in Tampa and I hated that he didnt work out in the NHL.

He might actually work well with Namestnikov or Filppula. Hope he finds his scoring touch, he has more skill then Condra, Brown and Paquette for sure.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Why do people care if he got a 1-way deal? Its not their money thats being spent if he gets sent to the AHL and it will have zero effect on the Lightning's cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->