Confirmed with Link: [TB/ARI] G Louis Domingue for G Michael Leighton and R Tye McGinn

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Budaj to Vegas? Is Domingue better than Leighton? Domingue's numbers are pretty terrible but then again look at that team in front of him.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Arizona has been bad but Domingue hasn't looked good either. He will be in the AHL, and like JFleegs said, he just has more upside, more potential. Budaj is still the backup. I guess this was a move they felt is a low risk - medium reward if Domingue can step in as an emergency back up or future back up to Vasy should things go wrong for Budaj or his time is up here.

Solid move.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He hasn't been very good the last two seasons. I would not feel comfortable having him be the backup. This move doesn't make sense to me really. Leighton wasn't playing well but Domingue was getting shelled this year and he's now demoted to the minors so not sure how he responds. Goalie for goalie I like it but don't like giving up McGinn, he's been a good veteran since he got to Syracuse. I guess this gets Gallant into the lineup to add some toughness to the team, or maybe McNeil with Walcott playing some forward.

Forgot to mention that Domingue is making 1.1 to be in the minors while Condra 1.5 that's a lot of cash for two players. The Crunch better turn it around cause it'll be a waste of money otherwise.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Three players who needed new starts. Leighton has been nothing but a bust for the Crunch. McGinn is a force when healthy but that is a huge when. Domingue was pretty much tossed aside by the Coyotes in favor of other goalies. Biggest issue for Syracuse is McGinn was the ONLY player with size who was not afraid to get his nose dirty up front. Without him, the Crunch forwards are far smaller and a lot less physical. That is the next issue that needs to be addressed, PLEASE.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Three players who needed new starts. Leighton has been nothing but a bust for the Crunch. McGinn is a force when healthy but that is a huge when. Domingue was pretty much tossed aside by the Coyotes in favor of other goalies. Biggest issue for Syracuse is McGinn was the ONLY player with size who was not afraid to get his nose dirty up front. Without him, the Crunch forwards are far smaller and a lot less physical. That is the next issue that needs to be addressed, PLEASE.

Sounds like we need to bring back Brian Hart.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Leighton has sucked hard and is what ... almost 40 (looked - he is 36). Maybe he didn't show the "take him under my wing" leadership that was expected of him when we signed him and his performance has been atrocious. With McGinn ... he didn't sign until extremely late. Mid August if I'm not mistaken. Was probably looking for NHL gigs and didn't want to be back in the AHL, maybe thought he wasn't gonna get his shot with us and asked for a trade to the Western conference where his type of player is more needed as opposed to the Eastern speed game.

McGinn is not a big loss for Syracuse ... we want to play the speed game and McGinn just doesn't fit in well. The PFs we look for are in the Vladdy, Palat, and Callahan mold. We don't look for hulking players at all. And McGinn can't fight ... he is not an instigator. Yeah he brings maybe some intimidation factor because he has a large frame to him but realistically he is not a fighter at all.

Crunch are rotating rookies in and out of lineup ... we've seen Yan, Stephens, Joseph, Volkov scratched. This gives them a bit more play time and a natural roster spot with McGinn out of the lineup.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

We don't play the size game. Syracuse fans want to play the old game ... of rough and tough beat 'em up. You will be continually disappointed ... we don't need size. We need tough players with speed. Last year Crunch went to the finals with the speed game. No need for what you are asking for ... we need the rookies to get used to the speed of the game at this level. It will happen in the next 10 to 15 games. Masin sucked hard for first 20 or so games then settled in as he got used to the new level of skill / speed / size. The rooks will settle in here in the next 10 games and with Condra + Verghaeghae back ... you should see the team turn it around a bit.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
In Syracuse, we are still looking for the tough players with speed. I stood by Erne for a very long time but now see him as someone who may never live up to the hype. In Syracuse, we are ok with losing as long as the players appear to be making an effort. As for the rough and tumble style, Grand Rapids showed that with the right players you can be smooth and tough as they physically dominated the Finals again against the Crunch. But hey, who really cares if Syracuse wins or loses as long as Tampa Bay stays in first place overall? I mean, as some of you remind us so often, we are just the farm team.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Tambellini or Gallant?
Gourde or Paradis?
Thomas or Dodero?
Masin or Mormina?
Cirelli or Nielsen?

I shouldn't have to go much further to make my point. Grand Rapids won because they were a better team and we were missing our Captain and arguably best player - Condra. Every team on the way to the finals would have beat us in a fight. Grand Rapids just happened to have the better and healthier team. Nobody reminded you that Syracuse is "just the farm team" ... it is a chip you carry on shoulder on your own.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Good move with sneaky upside.

Don't underestimate Domingue. He wasn't good this season but good enough earlier. Terrific movement and skills. Catches right which is always a plus. Was treated badly by a bad team. Being Smith's backup is a mission impossible..especially for young goalie. Domingue only got the starts Smith didn't want (2nd nights of back to backs @ contenders) but had to play every single game when Smith was out (which happened quite often) due to a lack of goaltending depth in the organization. I thought he always did a very good job when stepping in for Smith...sometimes for months.

While he has the tools to be a starter in the NHL, Domingue has always been a bit weak on the mental side. Sometimes lets in goals in bunches or just isn't tracking the puck properly. I'd still say that he's a better goalie than Budaj and I'm glad he finally got to leave Arizona. He's a great team guy and would have never complained but I'm sure he's more than happy to join the Lightning organization.

Let Domingue get some confidence with the Crunch and then, depending on how Budaj does, maybe a few looks with the Lightning to see what Domingue is capable of when playing behind a good team.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
In Syracuse, we are still looking for the tough players with speed. I stood by Erne for a very long time but now see him as someone who may never live up to the hype. In Syracuse, we are ok with losing as long as the players appear to be making an effort. As for the rough and tumble style, Grand Rapids showed that with the right players you can be smooth and tough as they physically dominated the Finals again against the Crunch. But hey, who really cares if Syracuse wins or loses as long as Tampa Bay stays in first place overall? I mean, as some of you remind us so often, we are just the farm team.

Wha? So - I don't know what this issue is but... okay. No one wants Syracuse to suck - obviously Tampa Bay's performance is (infinitely) more important, but we want our farm team to be good too. I think there is quality talent down there, but it's young. And next season you'll likely get more young talent - hopefully we can find quality veterans, but damn you're carrying a chip on your shoulder.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I've watched quite a bit of Domingue with Arizona in the past few years. He has some potential. He may never reach it but I have a lot more confidence in our goalie coaches than in Arizona's. If he's just a Crunch goalie then I'm happy with that. If he improves into something better then that's a bonus.

Also it should be noted that he's the goalie whose confidence was nearly destroyed by Patrick Roy in juniors. Who knows how much that shit set him back and affected him in his career.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Should be noted he stopped 36 of 39 in a win against us last season. Maybe we liked what we saw in that game.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Wow, that came kinda out of nowhere. This isn't the last move to be made this season. The org just made room for another contract. The probably have dozens of players outside of the org on their radar to improve the product in Syracuse. I understand McGinn was a fan favorite but Syracuse goaltending needed to be addressed and they did it. Leighton has close to no value so they had to throw in something interesting.

You make it sound like it's a requirement to be successful in the A to play the physical and gritty game. The same statements have been made about the Lightning in the past and for years. Right now, we're arguably one of the softest teams in the NHL but look at the standings. Give them time to do the transformation and build a team based on skill and speed in Syracuse in accordance to what we did in Tampa. This is the direction management wants its teams to go. Patience, brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad