Waived: Taylor Pyatt - Claimed By Pitt 1/2

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Unless some type of move is made to replace the cap space he had, this is nothing but a negative as we handed a rival team, a team 20 points better than us, some depth while hurting our own.

Please they have 13 capable forwards and can still call up Lindberg , hrvik, fast, asham, powe, Kristo. Take the cap space and extra roster spot and run. We realize Pitts had one of the last waiver priorities so almost every team passed on the guy

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With the 28th pick of the waiver draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins are proud to select Nelson Pyatt.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah. Must really suck to win a cup, have two generational talents on your roster, and be a contender every single season. Your bitterness is palpable. :laugh:

You clearly can't understand the misery that was required to get those 2 generational talents. You speak as if it cost them nothing to win that cup. It cost sweet, delicious Pens fan tears. A half a decades worth. They were a team that was purposefully assembled not to win, and they were awfully good at it. In professional sports that is pathetic and is a big FU to the fans from management and ownership.

The Rangers have made the playoffs every year save for one since the lockout. They've been past the first round multiple times and made a deep ECF run during that time. They did it without tanking. Obviously the ultimate goal is the cup; but I'll take not tanking and making the playoffs at a 90% clip/seeing what happens over becoming the Oilers and Pittsburgh. **** their cup, honestly. It's tainted IMO and I'd say the same exact thing if the Rangers did it that way.

Then again I also feel that the draft system is a total joke. But like anything else it's money driven. The lack of parity means less money for these poor owners. So we need to give teams with terrible management, scouting and personnel top 3 overall picks. Total joke. Draft should be completely random, every year. Everyone gets the same shot at the #1 overall

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You clearly can't understand the misery that was required to get those 2 generational talents. You speak as if it cost them nothing to win that cup. It cost sweet, delicious Pens fan tears. A half a decades worth. They were a team that was purposefully assembled not to win, and they were awfully good at it. In professional sports that is pathetic and is a big FU to the fans from management and ownership.

The Rangers have made the playoffs every year save for one since the lockout. They've been past the first round multiple times and made a deep ECF run during that time. They did it without tanking. Obviously the ultimate goal is the cup; but I'll take not tanking and making the playoffs at a 90% clip/seeing what happens over becoming the Oilers and Pittsburgh. **** their cup, honestly. It's tainted IMO and I'd say the same exact thing if the Rangers did it that way.

Then again I also feel that the draft system is a total joke. But like anything else it's money driven. The lack of parity means less money for these poor owners. So we need to give teams with terrible management, scouting and personnel top 3 overall picks. Total joke. Draft should be completely random, every year. Everyone gets the same shot at the #1 overall

Yeah, I'd take half a decade over complete crap over 15 years of total mediocrity pretty easily. They sucked and turned it into something positive. We've sucked and our fans thumb their noses at the teams who actually win, and win every year. We've sucked, but at least we can say we spent the most money possible and still managed to do jack ****! Take that, Pens!

5 playoff series wins in 15 years! Suck it, Pittsburgh!

One trip beyond the 2nd round in 15 years! Keep crying, Pens fans!

You know who else has made the playoffs every year save for one since the lockout? The Penguins.

I'm sure they're really upset about that "tainted" cup. Then you have the gall to complain about money when this team has been built by money for decades? Clueless. :laugh:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, I'd take half a decade over complete crap over 15 years of total mediocrity pretty easily. They sucked and turned it into something positive. We've sucked and our fans thumb their noses at the teams who actually win, and win every year. We've sucked, but at least we can say we spent the most money possible and still managed to do jack ****! Take that, Pens!

5 playoff series wins in 15 years! Suck it, Pittsburgh!

One trip beyond the 2nd round in 15 years! Keep crying, Pens fans!

You know who else has made the playoffs every year save for one since the lockout? The Penguins.

I'm sure they're really upset about that "tainted" cup. Then you have the gall to complain about money when this team has been built by money for decades? Clueless. :laugh:

So I'm clueless because I believe an original 6 franchise with deep history and loyal fans should win the right way, FOR their fans? And that those same fans deserve better than to watch a minor league hockey team for a half a decade?

I don't know if "the land of no calls" is from around here but this is New York. Everyone in this city goes balls to the wall every day even if the results aren't what we expected. "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere." The city's hockey team should be no different. You're clueless for degrading an original 6 franchise and arguably the greatest city in the world by preferring a purpose driven, 5 year long suck fest over trying to ice the best team possible year after year

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
So I'm clueless because I believe an original 6 franchise with deep history and loyal fans should win the right way, FOR their fans? And that those same fans deserve better than to watch a minor league hockey team for a half a decade?

I don't know if "the land of no calls" is from around here but this is New York. Everyone in this city goes balls to the wall every day even if the results aren't what we expected. "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere." The city's hockey team should be no different. You're clueless for degrading an original 6 franchise and arguably the greatest city in the world by preferring a purpose driven, 5 year long suck fest over trying to ice the best team possible year after year

There is no winning the right way, there is only winning. I can't even fathom that someone would think a win would count less because it wasn't the way that they wanted.

It's also pretty asinine to suggest the Pens were purposely bad for five years, when there were a whole host of problems leading up to their awful 03-04 season.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

So the Rangers are doing it the right way by overpaying other teams accomplished free agents to stay out of the cellar? That's preferable to building through the draft? I would have happily tanked for a few years in return for 2 of the top 5 players in hockey that would make my team a perennial cup favorite. They'd also be our own homegrown players - not guys who've made their names elsewhere ala Brad Richards. Being bad and drafting high is the 'wrong way', well how about the compliance buy outs that have saved the Rangers by letting them buy out Redden, and most likely Richards after this year?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

There is no such thing as winning the "right way". Us trying for years and years to build teams around MONEY isn't somehow more noble than the Pens, Hawks, or anyone else using high drafting to their advantage.

Don't try and play the "this is New York" card. It doesn't mean anything to me. I grew up in NY and lived in the area for 20 years. I know how it is. Just because I live elsewhere now doesn't mean your stance is any less ridiculous.

The Pens sucked for 5 years and it's led to a cup and season after season of cup contention. We sucked for 7 years straight prior to the lockout, and we've accomplished nothing. What's worse is that the team was TRYING to win and COULDN'T do so. That's far more degrading than taking less time to build an elite franchise that can make a run year after year after year.

5 years of sucking for a couple of generational talents and a well built team that wins every year, or 7 years of sucking for one respectable season and several other early playoff exits after barely squeaking into the post season. Yeah, they're certainly the degraded ones. :help:

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

No, you're clueless because you think there's a "right way" to win.

I don't know if "the land of no calls" is from around here but this is New York. Everyone in this city goes balls to the wall every day even if the results aren't what we expected. "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere." The city's hockey team should be no different.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

You're clueless for degrading an original 6 franchise and arguably the greatest city in the world by preferring a purpose driven, 5 year long suck fest over trying to ice the best team possible year after year

Expecting an organization to have a long-term play is "degrading" it? I want to win. I want to be competitive year after year — not get stuck in this revolving door of mediocrity that you mistake for trying to "win FOR the fans." Especially when "trying to ice the best team possible year after year" hasn't paid off. The goal is to win.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Interesting seeing the phrase "purpose driven" used in a supposedly negative context. I also disagree that there is not one blueprint to success, but teams that are competitive for years at a time all have their own. Trying to 'win it all' every year might actually be the worst organizational strategy possible. Unless your true goal is just to make a lot of money. Although I can't help imagine the Rangers winning a Cup would not only be the best possible financial scenario for the franchise, but would benefit the entire league greatly.

Not like we need to worry about that happening though! LIRL.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
What you guys are advocating is like the Yankees going out and saying "alright, let's just be a cellar team for the next 5 years so we can maybe win a championship during the next 5"

Not gonna happen in NY in today's game, and rightfully so. Boston was able to build a cup contender without being the laughing stock of the league and degrading the original 6 sweater. Same with Detroit. The Rangers need to model themselves after those teams and not pathetic franchises like PIT and EDM

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Um... The NY Rangers organization is trying to win for the playoff revenues, not for the fans. I'm sure Glennie gets a nice little bonus for every year the team makes the post-season as well. Ain't nothing to do with the fans anywhere. A real rebuild would be preferable for most of the fans. In NY, the population of casual observers is so big that real hockey fans don't matter much. If Joe Schmo from Brooklyn, who is an expert on why the Jets are better than their record, why the Giants didn't deserve those Super Bowl wins, why Eli is overrated, why the Nets moved to Brooklyn but the Knicks will always be New Yawk's team, what Jay Z's motivation for getting into sports is, why Melo is actually better than 'Bron, 'cept when Melo plays like a bum, why Robbie Cano is the best hitter in the bigs and why the Mets will always be the sad little brother of the real ball club in NY sees that the Islanders have a better record than the Rangers on the front of Newsday, or hears on Boomer and Carton that the Rangers are third to last in the league, and the million other Joe Schmo's all hear the same, it doesn't matter what the real hockey fans who would endure a true rebuild want, it's never going to happen.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

What you guys are advocating is like the Yankees going out and saying "alright, let's just be a cellar team for the next 5 years so we can maybe win a championship during the next 5"

Not gonna happen in NY in today's game, and rightfully so. Boston was able to build a cup contender without being the laughing stock of the league and degrading the original 6 sweater. Same with Detroit. The Rangers need to model themselves after those teams and not pathetic franchises like PIT and EDM

The difference between Detroit/Boston is they're upper management actually has a plan. They have a blueprint they've been following and the results are obvious.

What's our blueprint? What's our plan?

Even if we do rebuild and trade guys like Callahan and Girardi, I just don't trust the direction our management is going to take. I don't trust Sather with cap space. I don't trust our managements drafting.

It's an endless cycle of misery, and there's no way out of it. Blood in, blood out. This franchise rivals my pathetic buffalo bills in some ways, but not quite as pathetic. Because they got lucky with a 7th rounder that clouded a lot of their flaws and weaknesses.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Yeah.. you might want to go back and look at the history of those teams. Every original six team has done a fair amount of disgracing of the sweater. The rub being most of those teams have more than one cup in 70 years to show for it.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah.. you might want to go back and look at the history of those teams. Every original six team has done a fair amount of disgracing of the sweater. The rub being most of those teams have more than one cup in 70 years to show for it.

Of course. When you're an original 6 team over almost 90 years you're bound to have terrible seasons. I'm talking about recently. Both DET and BOS have been good for a really long time and both had very nice runs last season. Neither has tanked ONCE let alone for 5 straight years since 2000

*Bob Richards*

Of course. When you're an original 6 team over almost 90 years you're bound to have terrible seasons. I'm talking about recently. Both DET and BOS have been good for a really long time and both had very nice runs last season. Neither has tanked ONCE let alone for 5 straight years since 2000

Dead Wings era. Look it up.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That guy Steve Yzerman who they took 4th overall was pretty good.

And by the time the Dead Wings era was over, Yzerman was no longer the absolutely dominant offensive force he once was. One player a organization does not make. I think bringing up Stevie Y does the opposite of the intended argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad