Taylor Leier

haf

Mar 3, 2008
So i live in Portland and go to Winterhawks games reasonably frequently.
Gotta say that Taylor stands out every game as the most mature forward in every game I have seen.
Light years better than last year. His point totals may never be in the upper echelon, but he is speedy, reliable, creative and smart. He has just dominated the games I have seen in all three zones. He isn't quite heavy enough for the big stage yet possibly, but from what I have seen, that is all that is preventing him from doing it.

Just been really impressed with him and wanted to pass it along.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I guess he is coming along better than most people anticipated. I like that he plays a complete game.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Big fan of Taylor Leier and his game. A very reliable and smart hockey player that you can play on any line and he'll fit in quite well. He reminds me quite a bit of Matt Read in that aspect. Very happy he's signed to a contract and that he's a big part of the future.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
More skill and creativity please...less hackers who shoot wide and who skate all over the ice not accomplishing much....

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Pretty much this. This team needs a legit prospect on the wing who can shoot the puck and has 30+ goal potential.

I'm a Stars fan, so I definitely feel this. :laugh: Can someone please finish!?

Leier has a good shot but would be more of complementary player to a skilled center. But, he would be an excellent complementary player. He has a good shot and is a good passer. More of an all around player. Still, 50-60 pts is not an out of reach ceiling for that guy at all.

He might not be a first line sniper, but he sure looks much more valuable than the HF write-up led me to believe.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
More skill and creativity please...less hackers who shoot wide and who skate all over the ice not accomplishing much....

Pretty much this. This team needs a legit prospect on the wing who can shoot the puck and has 30+ goal potential.

Yeah, there were tons of legit prospects with skill and creativity capable of putting up 30+ goals a year left in the 4th round when they picked Leier. Only on here do you see people complaining that a late 4th rounder isn't going to be a top line winger.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, there were tons of legit prospects with skill and creativity capable of putting up 30+ goals a year left in the 4th round when they picked Leier. Only on here do you see people complaining that a late 4th rounder isn't going to be a top line winger.

:laugh:

Foreal, if he turns into a decent bottom 6 player I'll chalk that up as a win.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

I think you are missing my point and sarcasm. I'm liking what I'm hearing about Leier and I want more of it...not Harnell and Simmonds type players. It wasn't a criticism if that is what you inferred?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think you are missing my point and sarcasm. I'm liking what I'm hearing about Leier and I want more of it...not Harnell and Simmonds type players. It wasn't a criticism if that is what you inferred?

I didnt really think it sounded like a criticism of Leier. It sounded like more of a criticism of the Flyers for drafting/signing/trading for grinders instead of a skilled players. I don't necessarily disagree with the thought, I just felt it was out of place in a thread about a 4th rounder. It could very well be a statement made in a year or two in a Scott Laughton or Sam Morin thread, considering their high draft positions, if they turn into a 3rd line grinder and a #4/5 defensive defenseman. I just look at 4th rounders and think, if they earn a spot in the NHL,regardless of their role, it's good drafting.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I didnt really think it sounded like a criticism of Leier. It sounded like more of a criticism of the Flyers for drafting/signing/trading for grinders instead of a skilled players. I don't necessarily disagree with the thought, I just felt it was out of place in a thread about a 4th rounder. It could very well be a statement made in a year or two in a Scott Laughton or Sam Morin thread if they turn into a 3rd line grinder and a #4/5 defensive defenseman. I just look at 4th rounders and think, if they earn a spot in the NHL,regardless of their role, it's good drafting.

It had nothing to do with drafting and everthing to do with how the team is presently constituted. Again you inferred incorrectly. It was a general comment about needing some creativity, however it is acquired... and it is nice to hear that Leier is showing some of it...

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
So i live in Portland and go to Winterhawks games reasonably frequently.
Gotta say that Taylor stands out every game as the most mature forward in every game I have seen.
Light years better than last year. His point totals may never be in the upper echelon, but he is speedy, reliable, creative and smart. He has just dominated the games I have seen in all three zones. He isn't quite heavy enough for the big stage yet possibly, but from what I have seen, that is all that is preventing him from doing it.

Just been really impressed with him and wanted to pass it along.

Thanks for the report. If you do not mind,give us updates when you want.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Because clearly that's what I meant by my post. I was simply pointing out that fact. I wasn't complaining about leier or where we picked him. at best, leier is another Matt read. I was just suggesting that we already have a substantial amount if comparable players, and that this organization is sorely lacking a top line wing prospect.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm excited about this kid. Watched him at the rookie camp this summer - his skating and stick handling abilities were very apparent. He looked to be more on par with Laughton, cousins, etc than some of our other late rounders.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The more I look at this teams apparent needs and love of forwards, I'm starting to wonder if they had a Top 3 pick, would've they have done the same and go for the stud offensive players.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
This guy doesn't get enough credit or discussion around here but he's firmly taken his place as one of our top forward prospects and is certainly the most promising winger in our system. Not a very big feat in our prospect pool but not to detract from his game at all. My favorite of our forward prospects at this point.

First caught him last season while they were airing games from the Memorial Cup before seeing Thrower take him into next week coming over the offensive blueline off the boards (which he seemingly recovered from despite missing the few games remaining). He was in a secondary scoring role on a very deep and talented Winterhawks roster but it was clear that he belonged anywhere in the lineup. Finished with 27g and 35a in 64gp and I believe he was wearing an 'A' aswell. Caught him in our rookie game against the Caps where he turned up as a standout, scoring the only goal of the game in a shutout win.

This year I was lucky enough to come across HockeyStreams.com where for 70 bucks you get access to all CHL coverage, NHL and AHL coverage, and even UFC events and a couple of other random things like that. All great quality and no blackouts. It puts all other related products to complete and utter shame.

Anyways, just some insight for those who aren't familiar with his play and development:

Coming into this season, he was given the 'C' as the leader of what has proven to be another top notch Winterhawks club despite losing talent like Rattie and Jones. I've taken the liberty of catching around 10 games so far this season and have been blown away by Leier's 200-ft game (If I can find the time outside Flyers games, it'll be to catch him). While he doesn't carry the statline (quite) of teammates Bjorkstrand and Petan, he lead the club in goals until missing the last few games (22 through 31) and is the undeniable straw that stirs the beautiful cocktail that is the Winterhawk's front end. His assists totals arent much (21) but from watching I can firmly attribute this to the fact that he's usually the last forward out of the zone because he's usually always the guy making a nice play from the defensive end boards, whether it's a nice takeaway behind the goal line and moving it up, or being in perfect position for nearly one-toucher breakout passes from their dmen and upto one of their more explosive guys like Petan and Bjorkstrand --- This leaves him trailing into the offensive zone where he cruises in undetected into perfect position and finds himself finishing a great deal of plays. He's got nice placement on his finishing with a pretty dece shot, but it's his pure IQ that allows him to continuously land in prime open scoring positions. He possess a nice stride with good speed. Also, he is the most threatening and reliable penalty-killer on the squad, which eats into is scoring minutes a little bit. He also had a nice shorty for team WHL where he was a standout.

Taylor comes in with a slightly undersized frame at 5'11-177Lbs, and is 19 for another few months. Not much to say about it now because his size in particular doesn't exactly work for or against him. So he's got above average shooting and speed, is a solid playmaker, slightly undersized but what takes him to the next level is that his hockey IQ is simply well well above most players---again this is his greatest asset. He just gets it.

It's great to see that he's being so heavily looked at for Team Canada this year and it's truly a testament to his versatility and reliability. It would be a smart move to have him along.

Last season I mentioned it being a huge mistake by Canada when they passed over Laughton and other 2-way players to pack a roster full of scoring---really not sure what lead them to take that direction but they predictably failed to hit the podium and brass came out recently admitting to their mistake in changing what has always made Canada successful. This is what leads me to believe Leier plays a bigger role this year than generally anticipated still.

I don't what else to add....I think this kids a real diamond in the rough for the organization and being a LW i see him usurping our other top prospects being Centers at this point. He'll end up useable on any line in the same way Read is although I wouldn't directly compare the two.

Let's hope he stays nice and healthy-- Pretty sure he has the rest covered.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
How crazy is the 2012 draft looking???

Laughton, Leier, Gostisbehere, and Stolarz. If they all make the cut, that's a center, a winger, a defenseman and a goalie - all in one draft. When's the last time that happened?!

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
This guy doesn't get enough credit or discussion around here but he's firmly taken his place as one of our top forward prospects and is certainly the most promising winger in our system. Not a very big feat in our prospect pool but not to detract from his game at all. My favorite of our forward prospects at this point.

First caught him last season while they were airing games from the Memorial Cup before seeing Thrower take him into next week coming over the offensive blueline off the boards (which he seemingly recovered from despite missing the few games remaining). He was in a secondary scoring role on a very deep and talented Winterhawks roster but it was clear that he belonged anywhere in the lineup. Finished with 27g and 35a in 64gp and I believe he was wearing an 'A' aswell. Caught him in our rookie game against the Caps where he turned up as a standout, scoring the only goal of the game in a shutout win.

This year I was lucky enough to come across HockeyStreams.com where for 70 bucks you get access to all CHL coverage, NHL and AHL coverage, and even UFC events and a couple of other random things like that. All great quality and no blackouts. It puts all other related products to complete and utter shame.

Anyways, just some insight for those who aren't familiar with his play and development:

Coming into this season, he was given the 'C' as the leader of what has proven to be another top notch Winterhawks club despite losing talent like Rattie and Jones. I've taken the liberty of catching around 10 games so far this season and have been blown away by Leier's 200-ft game (If I can find the time outside Flyers games, it'll be to catch him). While he doesn't carry the statline (quite) of teammates Bjorkstrand and Petan, he lead the club in goals until missing the last few games (22 through 31) and is the undeniable straw that stirs the beautiful cocktail that is the Winterhawk's front end. His assists totals arent much (21) but from watching I can firmly attribute this to the fact that he's usually the last forward out of the zone because he's usually always the guy making a nice play from the defensive end boards, whether it's a nice takeaway behind the goal line and moving it up, or being in perfect position for nearly one-toucher breakout passes from their dmen and upto one of their more explosive guys like Petan and Bjorkstrand --- This leaves him trailing into the offensive zone where he cruises in undetected into perfect position and finds himself finishing a great deal of plays. He's got nice placement on his finishing with a pretty dece shot, but it's his pure IQ that allows him to continuously land in prime open scoring positions. He possess a nice stride with good speed. Also, he is the most threatening and reliable penalty-killer on the squad, which eats into is scoring minutes a little bit. He also had a nice shorty for team WHL where he was a standout.

Taylor comes in with a slightly undersized frame at 5'11-177Lbs, and is 19 for another few months. Not much to say about it now because his size in particular doesn't exactly work for or against him. So he's got above average shooting and speed, is a solid playmaker, slightly undersized but what takes him to the next level is that his hockey IQ is simply well well above most players---again this is his greatest asset. He just gets it.

It's great to see that he's being so heavily looked at for Team Canada this year and it's truly a testament to his versatility and reliability. It would be a smart move to have him along.

Last season I mentioned it being a huge mistake by Canada when they passed over Laughton and other 2-way players to pack a roster full of scoring---really not sure what lead them to take that direction but they predictably failed to hit the podium and brass came out recently admitting to their mistake in changing what has always made Canada successful. This is what leads me to believe Leier plays a bigger role this year than generally anticipated still.

I don't what else to add....I think this kids a real diamond in the rough for the organization and being a LW i see him usurping our other top prospects being Centers at this point. He'll end up useable on any line in the same way Read is although I wouldn't directly compare the two.

Let's hope he stays nice and healthy-- Pretty sure he has the rest covered.

Thanks for the report. You have me excited for this kid's future. It would be awesome for this organization to have finally struck gold in the late rounds. I will have to try and catch a few games of his if I can.

I know this can be hard to do, and it's probably done too much regarding prospects, but who does he remind you of or compare to? Or does he not remind you of anyone in particular?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How crazy is the 2012 draft looking???

Laughton, Leier, Gostisbehere, and Stolarz. If they all make the cut, that's a center, a winger, a defenseman and a goalie - all in one draft. When's the last time that happened?!

Let's wait until they play more than 5 games in the NHL.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Thanks for the report. You have me excited for this kid's future. It would be awesome for this organization to have finally struck gold in the late rounds. I will have to try and catch a few games of his if I can.

I know this can be hard to do, and it's probably done too much regarding prospects, but who does he remind you of or compare to? Or does he not remind you of anyone in particular?

Ya it's always tough to call out some NHL comparisons and sticking to wingers.... A while back the first name that popped into my head was Jussi Jokinen wit the mix of scoring and overall good defensive instict. Another poster quickly pointed out Jere Lehtinen which I thought was a much better comparison. After seeing the guy play a decent amount my favorite and obviously highest end comparions would be none other than Patrick Sharp.... i know i know but seriously that's what the kid reminds me of out there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Let's wait until they play more than 5 games in the NHL.

That's why "If they all make the cut" was part of the post you quoted. It's just nice to be legitimately stoked for some decent prospects for a change, and the underlined fact that four high-end prospects came out of the same draft year is commendable.

Landing Leier in the 4th round also belies the notion of using a 3rd round pick on a goo ... I mean, a hard-nosed energy guy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That's why "If they all make the cut" was part of the post you quoted. It's just nice to be legitimately stoked for some decent prospects for a change, and the underlined fact that four high-end prospects came out of the same draft year is commendable.

Landing Leier in the 4th round also belies the notion of using a 3rd round pick on a goo ... I mean, a hard-nosed energy guy.

I get that optimism is great. I'm excited but that draft is only 18 months old. A lot can still happen. Everyone gets excited about their teams prospects and always look at the glass half full, especially us Flyers' fans who have not had a decent crop of prospects in nearly a decade. I'm just saying let's pump the brakes a bit.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
It could very well be a statement made in a year or two in a Scott Laughton or Sam Morin thread, considering their high draft positions, if they turn into a 3rd line grinder and a #4/5 defensive defenseman.

Which would also be stupid.
If Laughton becomes an elite #3rd line center who'll grind and shot down the opposition I'd be more than satisfied.
Also Morin has #1 upside, but if he turns into a #4 defender I'd be ok with it.

Why is everyone expecting 1st round picks to develop into 1st line fowards or 1st pairing defenders?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Which would also be stupid.
If Laughton becomes an elite #3rd line center who'll grind and shot down the opposition I'd be more than satisfied.
Also Morin has #1 upside, but if he turns into a #4 defender I'd be ok with it.

Why is everyone expecting 1st round picks to develop into 1st line fowards or 1st pairing defenders?

Yeh, if Laughton and Leier are 'just' good 3rd liners that is pretty damn good, and if Hagg, Morin and Ghost are all good enough to play in the NHL, especially anywhere in the top 4 that is great as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad