Speculation: Taylor Hall's value leading up to the deadline

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
thats not quite accurate, the acquiring team would also need to have been sitting on at LEAST $4 mil of cap space all season to fit in half of a season of Hall at 50%.

If a team was sitting at only $2MM in cap space all season, they still cant afford half a season of Hall at 50% for just half a season. The same way Halls cap hit gets pro rated by how many games he plays, the teams cap space is also calculated by how much they used on a daily basis all season.
This is false - the acquiring team only pays for the games/days he plays for them. If the Sabres retained half, he would have $4 million left if half the season was left to play. That means retaining 50% Makes that number $2 million. If a team has 2,000,000+ a Space, he would fit under the cap.And their Space is their cap Space - the prorated part is not true. Teams have done this for years having $1 million worth of Space that’s actually able to take on a two or $3 million player at the trade deadline.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If we are looking good at the deadline, Pens will happily send a 2nd for Hall at 50%. We have so many players on LTIR that I think we will have the cap flexibility.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I think he has a very high value at 50%.

I think a 1st, prospect and young roster player might cut it. I mean if I was Tampa, Toronto or Winnipeg I'd get right on it. I just think his issue is he's on a very bad team limiting his production. Buffalo having a fire sale is the right thing to do.

You need about $1.1 M in cap room. And Sabres can take expiring junk back. They paid a $1 M bonus which lowers actual dollars. Managed right, they can get a late first. But management in Buffalo (Terry and Kim) are dumb. Plus, I get Hall refuses to waive the NMC.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Everyone here saying he’s not going to get a first, I disagree, i believe there will be a bidding war for his services and he gets a 1st +z

The argument for Hall not getting a first has nothing to do with how many teams are interested. It has everything to do with Hall's NMC and his ability to pick the one or two teams he is willing to go to.

Maybe Hall, as a pending UFA, would be a real swell guy and tell Buffalo "I will go to whatever team gives you the best return". In that case a bidding war matters. However I think it is a lot more likely that he has his own interests in mind and would force a trade to a real contender. There is a ton of money on the line for him.

Reactions: DaveG

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This is false - the acquiring team only pays for the games/days he plays for them. If the Sabres retained half, he would have $4 million left if half the season was left to play. That means retaining 50% Makes that number $2 million. If a team has 2,000,000+ a Space, he would fit under the cap.And their Space is their cap Space - the prorated part is not true. Teams have done this for years having $1 million worth of Space that’s actually able to take on a two or $3 million player at the trade deadline.
you're echoing what I was saying, the team needs to be sitting on at least $2MM of space for the ENTIRE season to afford Hall at %50 for half a season. not just being $2 mil under the cap ceiling at the time of the trade

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The argument for Hall not getting a first has nothing to do with how many teams are interested. It has everything to do with Hall's NMC and his ability to pick the one or two teams he is willing to go to.

Maybe Hall, as a pending UFA, would be a real swell guy and tell Buffalo "I will go to whatever team gives you the best return". In that case a bidding war matters. However I think it is a lot more likely that he has his own interests in mind and would force a trade to a real contender. There is a ton of money on the line for him.
I’m sure he’d be fine just getting out of Buffalo

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Hall is still a name, and Hockey Guys love names. I'd have to imagine he gets at least the Toffoli return (2nd + solid prospect). The narrative will also start to turn if/when he pops in a few goals.

you're echoing what I was saying, the team needs to be sitting on at least $2MM of space for the ENTIRE season to afford Hall at %50 for half a season. not just being $2 mil under the cap ceiling at the time of the trade

Buffalo could also take back a NHL player to help the salary work.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Edmonton can part from 1st round pick if The Real Deal is going to another direction and Buffalo is retaining some salary.
I don't think he is bringing first just straight up.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I probably don't speak for most contending teams but as a Bruins fan I dont touch him. He had a chance to sign with a lot of contenders this offseason and chose not too, so instead of getting him for free (cap space), they're going to give up assets? Nah he missed his chance, hope he re-signs.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I probably don't speak for most contending teams but as a Bruins fan I dont touch him. He had a chance to sign with a lot of contenders this offseason and chose not too, so instead of getting him for free (cap space), they're going to give up assets? Nah he missed his chance, hope he re-signs.
while I dont kind of agree with the F-him he's not worth giving up assets for, I am on the side of he made his bed, now he has to lay in it in terms of either feeling compelled to re-sign in the dumpster fire that is buffalo now (essentially wasting his prime years remaining on a team that wont contend), or sign an even less lucrative contract he could have gotten in either NJ, Arizona, or any of the other teams that were offering him longer and more money than Buffalo

signing a 1 year deal in Buffalo was an incredibly stupid move and called out as such when the ink was still wet

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Hall is also a rental. Doesn't care would team picking him up gives up in futures. He'll get his say but there are enough teams that will be interested and bet they can make it to finals or semis which makes him 28,29,30,31 pick -- and to be honest the hit on those picks is not that much. A late second is an easy give for Hall on your team in playoffs.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Who would give that, career worst year on a disgusting cap hit this year. Even at 50% retention I don't see anyone doing that.
Cap hit ??? By deadline day ? He will be a valuable rental on an expiring contract.. 1rst plus easy

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's been traded a few times at the deadline. Have any of those teams actually ended up with the first overall pick? I think he only works as a charm, if you have him on the roster from the beginning of the season. It takes a little longer for him to work his magic, and completely curse a team. He's doing a fine job in Buffalo now with that.
What are you taking about? He's literally never been traded at or even all that close to the deadline. Edmonton to Jersey was in June and Jersey to Arizona was in December.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad