Rumor: Taylor Hall???

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I just looked at his stats. I wanted him when Philly traded him years ago. Not now. Rather just keep Stepan. He's 34 coming off an injury and underwhelming seasons. No thanks.

The offer with the Kings was for Goligoski.

Confirms for me that they aren't in love with him personality wise.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Goligoski swap with Cartee might not be completely terrible depending on what else came with Carter.

Three years of Carter are cheaper than two years of Goligoski. Cap hit is about the same. He's still valuable as a bottom six center with intangibles. I'd prefer Eakins or someone a little higher quality, but if LA is willing to pay a little to get out from Carter 's contract early, I'd listen.

Goligoski is actually earning his money, though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Goligoski is actually earning his money, though.

Maybe. But cutting 3-4M in salary the next couple years, and getting a name-recognition big C who can still play a defensive role and is loaded with intangibles isn't completely unattractive either. Especially if they think LD is a position of strength organizationally while C is decided not (or hasn't been, anyway).

If it came with a small sweetener, I'd be intrigued.

Worth noting that everyone on the Kings except Anze and Brown had Coyotes-like offensive numbers last year, and he's been .8 ppg for a long time. If you think he can bounce back to the .5 range, it's a unique buy-low opportunity for a middle-six C. Even at last year's level he replaces Panik's production with a much better motor and room presence. Plus he's probably still marketable.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Do good things come to those who wait? — The Fourth Period

From the “there’s no such thing as an untradeable contract” department, it’s believed that during the time when the Arizona Coyotes were discussing the acquisition of Phil Kessel, they presented an offer for Jeff Carter.
Unlike the prospective Edmonton deal, this one was for the over-30 set, a trade that featured one of the Coyotes veteran defenseman, with my guess being Alex Goligoski (the eldest at 33) as the return. It would have been a give and get scenario – Los Angeles shortens up a contract commitment and salary cap hit with two seasons remaining on Goligoski’s deal (Carter has three) while the Coyotes stood to save cash ($9.8 million v. $7 million owed on the deals), but with the Kings right defense depth chart at capacity, the Move Carter program continues.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's what I'm thinking. Goligoski for Carter and a pick. Maybe angle for some retention to balance out the fact we're taking on an extra year of over-market cap.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Would go for Carter at a reasonable price.

I think that the NJD are trying to stir up interest and price for Hall by dropping this rumo(u)r to Ecklund.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's a winger. He's always been a winger. He hasn't played center since he was sixteen years old.
I know. I meant to say we need a C at the level of Hall's talent.

Reactions: rt

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not really interested in moving Goligoski unless it's to create cap space for a direct upgrade. Carter is meh.

Goligoski was one of our most used pieces on the PK last year. That could already be perilous with the loss of Scott Allen. Now minus Goligoski? Who's going to absorb those minutes? I think Chychrun is ready for top 4 minutes but I don't want to thrust him into that role either. Not with his history.

Reactions: Sinurgy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really interested in moving Goligoski unless it's to create cap space for a direct upgrade. Carter is meh.

Goligoski was one of our most used pieces on the PK last year. That could already be perilous with the loss of Scott Allen. Now minus Goligoski? Who's going to absorb those minutes? I think Chychrun is ready for top 4 minutes but I don't want to thrust him into that role either. Not with his history.
I agree. If Chick is ready for top 4, slide Gogo to RD.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Not interested in a Goligoski/Carter trade at all. We have enough centers. Stepan, Soderberg, Dvorak, Richardson, Schmaltz if needed and possibly Hayton.

We have depthon D right now too, but trade Goligoski and we're an injury away from potential problems. Goose can play both sides and eat a lot of minutes.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Yeah I think people have become a little too flippant around here in regards to Goligoski. He's a very useful top 4 defenseman and IMO an important piece to any hopes of a return to the post season in 2019-2020. Obviously he's not untouchable or anything but like you said, if they're going to move him it needs to be for a notable upgrade, not someone like Jeff Carter.

Reactions: Jakey53

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The Coyotes don't have a year to wait (and neither does Chayka), that's why this might happen. Let me explain...

Next year, Keller will come off his ELC and there isn't any salary dropping off (besides Ribs $2m), so the roster will be more or less as it is now, with probably one piece gone. Hino is due for a raise as well. It will be difficult to secure a net better roster than you have now. Which leads into...

If you were completely and utterly dispassionate about how old players are and simply were plugging them in based on their production v their salary, you'd start with someone like Kessel. The cost to acquire was low because Kessel controlled his fate and likes Tocchet. He's older, but he produces. From there, you'd actually run into Taylor Hall pretty quickly. Hall has no NTC or NMC, but he's a PPG+ player only making $6m that his current team has no hopes of keeping. If the player is more or less explicit about his intention to test the open market, his value in trade begins to go way below what his roster value is. NJ isn't super keen to keep him on as a hired gun, but the Coyotes - a team needing to maximize their playoff chances for the coming season - would actually be really, really keen to acquire a $6m PPG+ elite player.

It actually makes perfect sense for AZ when you think about it. It all comes down to the rental price.

They don't want to lose Hall for nothing. GMs are very wary of taking a valuable UFA into their final year, especially if they are underpaid relative to what other players are earning. You can't trade him at the deadline if you are in a playoff position or close to it. He walks in the summer.

Trade him now and you keep some of that value moving forward. This is more or less exactly why Chucky was traded.

This post should be a sticky on the trade board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->