Rumor: Taylor Hall???

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There’s a reason why there’s a prefix for Eklund in the free agency board.

It’s so anyone with the tiniest amount of common sense can ignore it.... OR those who enjoy watching a train wreck can grab their popcorn and enjoy the show.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Devils traded for veteran Subban. Plan on having young Hughes on centre. You would think the Devils want to tell their players and fans they are trying to make the playoffs. Now closer to TDL and the Devils are out of it, Hall might be traded then.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just wait a year and sign him.

The Coyotes don't have a year to wait (and neither does Chayka), that's why this might happen. Let me explain...

Next year, Keller will come off his ELC and there isn't any salary dropping off (besides Ribs $2m), so the roster will be more or less as it is now, with probably one piece gone. Hino is due for a raise as well. It will be difficult to secure a net better roster than you have now. Which leads into...

If you were completely and utterly dispassionate about how old players are and simply were plugging them in based on their production v their salary, you'd start with someone like Kessel. The cost to acquire was low because Kessel controlled his fate and likes Tocchet. He's older, but he produces. From there, you'd actually run into Taylor Hall pretty quickly. Hall has no NTC or NMC, but he's a PPG+ player only making $6m that his current team has no hopes of keeping. If the player is more or less explicit about his intention to test the open market, his value in trade begins to go way below what his roster value is. NJ isn't super keen to keep him on as a hired gun, but the Coyotes - a team needing to maximize their playoff chances for the coming season - would actually be really, really keen to acquire a $6m PPG+ elite player.

It actually makes perfect sense for AZ when you think about it. It all comes down to the rental price.

Devils traded for veteran Subban. Plan on having young Hughes on centre. You would think the Devils want to tell their players and fans they are trying to make the playoffs. Now closer to TDL and the Devils are out of it, Hall might be traded then.

They don't want to lose Hall for nothing. GMs are very wary of taking a valuable UFA into their final year, especially if they are underpaid relative to what other players are earning. You can't trade him at the deadline if you are in a playoff position or close to it. He walks in the summer.

Trade him now and you keep some of that value moving forward. This is more or less exactly why Chucky was traded.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I haven't followed NJD-Hall closely, but I haven't heard anything suggesting he isn't interested in re-signing. Why would they move him unless one party or the other is set on turning the page?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I haven't followed NJD-Hall closely, but I haven't heard anything suggesting he isn't interested in re-signing. Why would they move him unless one party or the other is set on turning the page?

Hall has hinted at wanting to test the open market and isn't in a rush to sign an extension. NJ is treating him with kid gloves but if they get an offer they like it's hard to see them passing it up. Can't go into next season with him unsigned. Can't lose an asset of that level for absolutely nothing.

I'd pay Stepan, 1st, Pens 4th, plus anything JC doesn't want to keep on the roster or in the system (like Fischer) for an unsigned Hall.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Hall has hinted at wanting to test the open market and isn't in a rush to sign an extension. NJ is treating him with kid gloves but if they get an offer they like it's hard to see them passing it up. Can't go into next season with him unsigned. Can't lose an asset of that level for absolutely nothing.

I'd pay Stepan, 1st, Pens 4th, plus anything JC doesn't want to keep on the roster or in the system (like Fischer) for an unsigned Hall.

You're fine with moving that for one year of Hall? Not saying I wouldn't be, because that is essentially a TDL cost for a player of his caliber. Just not sure how much I would want to put into this single season knowing that Hall and Soderberg could walk.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He's a winger. He's always been a winger. He hasn't played center since he was sixteen years old.

Pretty sure Jakey is saying we need a center of Hall's caliber, not another top winger. However, having Hall and Kessel could be very good for the development of our young centers.

Dvo with one of the top 15 wingers in the league, Hayton with the other. Could be a great way to give both of those players shots of confidence and hope they never look back.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Trading young controlled assets has been Chayka's strategy, if he has one. So this rumor is believable. All the Maloney picks should be looking at homes in Jersey just in case.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You're fine with moving that for one year of Hall? Not saying I wouldn't be, because that is essentially a TDL cost for a player of his caliber. Just not sure how much I would want to put into this single season knowing that Hall and Soderberg could walk.

That pick is likely in the 20s. Stepan leaving creates flexibility next season, which is worth a lot.

I easily pay that for a top 15 player when healthy, especially given that the Coyotes roster will be worse the following season due to Keller needing to be paid. Shoot your shot this year for a late 1st? Easy choice. If you can do it without giving up stuff you love and covet like Keller/Dvo/Chychrun/recent picks it's an automatic yes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hasn't it been a few years since Jeff Carter was good?

Carter is only owed $7m in real dollars over the next 3 years, punching well above that in production. JC's MO now is to find guys that are undervalued to flesh out the roster. Dzingel might earn twice that in that same span, for example.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Carter is only owed $7m in real dollars over the next 3 years, punching well above that in production. JC's MO now is to find guys that are undervalued to flesh out the roster. Dzingel might earn twice that in that same span, for example.

I just looked at his stats. I wanted him when Philly traded him years ago. Not now. Rather just keep Stepan. He's 34 coming off an injury and underwhelming seasons. No thanks.

Reactions: MIG

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Goligoski swap with Carter might not be completely terrible depending on what else came with Carter.

Three years of Carter are cheaper than two years of Goligoski. Cap hit is about the same. He's still valuable as a bottom six center with intangibles. I'd prefer Eakins or someone a little higher quality, but if LA is willing to pay a little to get out from Carter 's contract early, I'd listen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->