Taylor Hall wins Hart Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What site are you looking at? Hockey reference has the 09 team at 238 goals and this years team at 243.

Hall only had 2 20+ goal scorers with Palms at 24 and Nico at 20. Parise had 4 on his team with Elias at 37, Langs at 29 and Gionta and Zajac at 20.

The narrative isn't false to say that Hall carried this team on his back, because he did and the stats back it up. Parise had way more help than Hall did.

That 09 team was way better than this one, finished with 106 points and won the division and should have never lost in the first round until they **** the bed in game 7 in the worst moment in the history of the Prudential Center and one of the worst in the teams history.
Hockey DB Devils main page

New Jersey Devils hockey team statistics and history at hockeydb.com

We also had a lot of depth scoring this year and injured players that performed well when in the lineup but only played partial seasons like Palmieri on 62 games, like Zajac only 63 games, like Johansson 29 games and 14 points, like Gibbons 59 games...we got scoring from everyone this season.
10 players had 10 or more goals and Severson had 9.

The 2009 team had 8 10 or more goal scores and then it drops to 7... because fewer players in 2009 were doing a bulk of the scoring.

The 2009 team was better mostly because of experience from battle tested winners but not overall skill.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

We also had a lot of depth scoring this year and injured players that performed well when in the lineup but only played partial seasons like Palmieri on 62 games, like Zajac only 63 games, like Johansson 29 games and 14 points, like Gibbons 59 games...we got scoring from everyone this season.

The 2009 team had 8 10 or more goal scores and then it drops to 7... because fewer players in 2009 were doing a bulk of the scoring.

The 2009 team was better mostly because of experience from battle tested winners but not overall skill.
This is why I disagree when people say the Devils need more "depth scoring". They really need production from the 2nd line, which I don't consider a "depth" line. They're EXPECTED to score.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Hockey DB has it listed wrong, it's 243 on here the NHL website too.

Hall played 6 less games than Parise too or he would have easily put up a bunch more points.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one cause I think the 09 team was way better than this one. We didn't even get into goaltending which was way better that year even with Marty getting hurt.

I was just happy to be in the playoffs this year cause none of us expected to go far. That 09 team could have and should have at least gotten to the second round if not another round after that. That ending still pisses me off.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hockey DB has it listed wrong, it's 243 on here the NHL website too.

Hall played 6 less games than Parise too or he would have easily put up a bunch more points.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one cause I think the 09 team was way better than this one. We didn't even get into goaltending which was way better that year even with Marty getting hurt.

I was just happy to be in the playoffs this year cause none of us expected to go far. That 09 team could have and should have at least gotten to the second round if not another round after that. That ending still pisses me off.
In 2009 Coaching was better, defensive structure was better, goaltending was better, overall system was better...the team still saw themselves as winners.

But I would argue that it's easier to put up 90 points playing in a Hynes system than a Sutter system. From a pure scoring perspective the 2018 team was much more conducive to putting up numbers in my opinion.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
In 2009 Coaching was better, defensive structure was better, goaltending was better, overall system was better...the team still saw themselves as winners.

Coaching was not better.

But I would argue that it's easier to put up 90 points playing in a Hynes system than a Sutter system. From a pure scoring perspective the 2018 team was much more conducive to putting up numbers in my opinion.

Good coaches try to work with the players they have, emphasizing their strengths. Parise's strength was in playing a dump-and-chase game and Sutter not only played that, he also gave him two great linemates for playing that way. Hall's strength is entering the zone with possession and making the right play.

The two forwards Hall played the most with were rookies. Parise played with two solid players both of whom were play drivers away from him. I like Nico a lot and he and Hall hooked up on a lot of nice plays but I think Nico and Bratt were driving Hall slightly backwards - certainly they were doing so relative to the average 1st liner.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we lost that carolina series because of terrible coaching. no excuse for madden to lead the devils in ice time in a game 7, with pandolfo and shanahan having just as much as parise and more than langenbrunner and zajac, and elias less than all of them , decided to start line matching at the worst time and i have no doubt that cost us the series. have hated sutter since then

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
cool let's sh*t on scott o neil over some dumb made up controversy comment. that the sesh you want to start?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
we lost that carolina series because of terrible coaching. no excuse for madden to lead the devils in ice time in a game 7, with pandolfo and shanahan having just as much as parise and more than langenbrunner and zajac, and elias less than all of them , decided to start line matching at the worst time and i have no doubt that cost us the series. have hated sutter since then

Cool, let's go way off topic in this thread. Off Topic Al

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
TSN was talking about how unhappy McDavid looked when Hall won, so it wasn't just us that noticed it lol. They said the same thing some of us thought. like OMG, Chiarelli is terrible and traded him away.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah i don't think he was unhappy that hall won so much as pissed off at oilers management, as far as i can tell they're still good friends and he must be happy for him, but big big lol at oilers management

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
DgL2XqqX4AEj_kl.jpg

is it just me or is that trophy ugly?

Reactions: Patrik26

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
also do the players keep the trophy for the summer like the cup? or is it a little time if any with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad