Taylor Hall the Draft Lottery God

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers won Hall, RNH, Yak, and McD

NJ won Larsson, Hischer, and Hughes/Kakko

That’s not the same amount
I don't think you understand how the lottery works. Edmonton did not win RNH, they retained the #1 spot because NJ won the lottery and the rules at the time were that they could only move up to #4 from their current spot.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oilers had their name picked 4 times in the lottery. Doesn’t matter if you have the highest odds or the lowest odds. It’s still a lottery and not a sure thing.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
D3vy2sWXsAIgCHp.jpg:large

Hahah

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers had their name picked 4 times in the lottery. Doesn’t matter if you have the highest odds or the lowest odds. It’s still a lottery and not a sure thing.
Their name was not picked when they won RNH. That's what you're not understanding. They just finished dead last and because NJ won the lottery from #8 and could only move up 4 spots they retained the pick. If anyone from 2-5 won the lottery then Edmonton would not have picked #1 in 2011, hence they did not win the lottery.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
should be a ****ing rule that you're only allowed to have 1OV every 10 years it's getting annoying.

Not all 1st overalls are equal.

If your team won the draft lottery only to get Yakupov, and then you were cursed to never draft another 1st overall for another decade, you might be kinda pissed.

Most of Halls 1st overall picks have the caveat of being "poor 1st overalls" outside of McDavid.

Yakupov, Hirschier, Nugent-Hopkins haven't exactly been elite franchise-altering talents. Not sure where Hughes fits in here, but I'm guessing he's going to be closer to Dylan Larkin than he is to Patrick Kane.

Reactions: Panda Bear

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

If your team won the draft lottery only to get Yakupov, and then you were cursed to never draft another 1st overall for another decade, you might be kinda pissed.

Most of Halls 1st overall picks have the caveat of being "poor 1st overalls" outside of McDavid.

Yakupov, Hirschier, Nugent-Hopkins haven't exactly been elite franchise-altering talents. Not sure where Hughes fits in here, but I'm guessing he's going to be closer to Dylan Larkin than he is to Patrick Kane.

thats where your Scouts come into play and who says these guys wouldn't be better elsewhere in a better situation?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The common theme in those 3 drafts were that the 1st OA was not the best player in the draft. Projecting of course in Hischier's case, but I can't see any way that he ends up better than Pettersson.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
thats where your Scouts come into play and who says these guys wouldn't be better elsewhere in a better situation?
Because they all fell into weaker draft years.

Are you suggesting teams should go off-the-board with the 1st overall pick?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Because they all fell into weaker draft years.

Are you suggesting teams should go off-the-board with the 1st overall pick?

I mean Drafting isn't a science. where did i say Off-board, everyone has a different opinion on players. Kotkaniemi was considered a reach by alot. Alot of scouts had him at 3 and alot at 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->