Taylor Hall(MVP) trade compared to other Major Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
MVP is an individual award. Happy for Hall.. Hes a stud but... In hindsight, the Oilers likely make the right move still as he would not have won MVP if he was on the Oilers.
He wouldn't have won mvp but there's no chance his numbers aren't at least 25-35 g 70pts per year on avg. With possible 90 point seasons in peak. He had a few rough seasons but I'm almost positive injuries played a major role in his demise more then anything

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
At a glance the trade might seem catastrophically bad. In reality, though, Larsson is a very good RHD (the only good RHD on the Oilers right now) on a good contract for a long time. You can switch Larsson for Hall and the Oilers are arguably a worse team than they are now. That doesn't mean the Oilers got equal value for Hall, because they definitely didn't. In a vacuum Hall is clearly the better player, but trades don't happen in a vacuum. I won't call it a good trade, but it's nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be.

Of course, the fact that the Larsson trade was nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be does nothing to exonerate Chiarelli for all his other missteps (which should have gotten him fired by now).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There has never been a worse or more disastrous trade in hockey or sports history than the worst day of my entire childhood: Ron Francis, Ulf Sammuelson and Grant Jennings for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski and Jeff Parker (who retired a month after the trade). That was really the day my Whalers died. No other trade ever did that type of damage.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Curious if a player in any sport/league has ever been traded and became an MVP within a couple of season of the trade.

Also what is the Hall for Larson trade in comparison to other sports.

For me its...

Steph Curry for Kyle Lowry
Drew Brees for Sam Bradford
Aaron Judge for Jose Bautista
Stojanov for markus naslund was way worse

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
and just when you thought giving away seguin for loui eriksson and reilly smith was the wild overreaction trade of the decade, here comes taylor to top tyler once again.

hey, what brain surgeon made that seguin trade anyway?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Taylor Hall last season with Oilers
26 goals 39 assists 65 points in 82 games

Taylor Hall first season with Devils
20 goals 33 assists 53 ponts in 72 games

Hall now won the MVP in his 2nd season with his new team. Anyone saying Oilers traded away a MVP are being stupid because they didn't trade away a MVP (he never won a MVP before being traded) they traded away someone who wasn't a MVP only had the potential to be one.

Any trade comparisons in other sports shouldn't list someone who already has won a MVP it should be someone who never won a MVP and won one sometime after being traded.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Most other leagues actually award the mvp trophy to the actual best player that season, so its hard to compare to other leagues mvp's

Not really.

LeBron James and Mike Trout are without question the two most dominant athletes in the four major sports this century and they have not won the MVP's every year. 50 years from now people will be amazed that Derrick Rose and Josh Donaldson won MVP's over them.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Hall for Larsson is a larceny, but regarding it as one of the biggest trades ever is...

Well...

Hyperbole. Don't you think?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Idk about all that but LOL@Oilers.

Traded a Hart player for a mediocre defensemen.

How long before McDavid asks for a trade too?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
1. Hall is not on the level of player your are comparing him too.
2. It was a huge steal, I think we should all keep laughing at the Oilers, what a joke
3. Good night, I have nothing left to say.

Hahaha ha ha ha hahaha!....

In anticipation of the exact same thread next year when Hall has another amazing season:
Hahaha ha ha ha ha ha a hahaha!!.....ha!...........................​

Congrats to Hall! He deserves it.
However; threads like this are hilarous/worthless. You go into the trade boards and the majority of posters look at the assets of really bad teams and offer junk for them:

1a) "Eberle sucks! He's soft! You guys want hamonic for him? Not a chance idiots, you'll need to add like poolparty and a second"

2) "Eichel is a locker room cancer, gm and coach"

3a) "Vegas is screwed, all they will have is a goalie...they took such junk players, LOL mcphee strikes again!!!"

Then these scenarios end up successful:

1b) "Eberle is such a stud on long Island...my god he's so dynamic. Why did they hate this guy". Now isles posters would want like 2 firsts for Eberle... haha, snow fleeced chia right??? Wish they kept that buffoon on, so they could suffer with us! *kidding, glad snow got punted, good for them*

3b) "omg, the expansion rules are broken. Bettman needs to fix this disgrace of a league... Florida got ripped off and now Vegas is ruining everyone, please make it stop!!!"....

Posters on this site use revisionist history and receny bias to correct all of the idiotic overstatements they made about players they never watched.

What they think
...Oh, I was way off base and assumed all Oilers/sens/avs/sabres/habs/coyotes players were trash and had a losing mentality???]...​
Why they say:
"hahaha what a steal, told you all along (insert player) was the best!"​

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Larsson was one of the best defensemen(players) at the World Champs and is a really good player. Realistically he should be one of the best defensive ds in the league in the coming five years. But you need to make the playoffs to fully reap the rewards of a player like him, in the regular season a star forward will win out every time. Game 7 in the playoffs, it won't have to look quite as silly anymore. Larsson definitely has the game to be a Vlasic.

I think the big disappointment with Larsson lies in how he never elevated his offensive game, and probably won't to any notable level.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Larsson was one of the best defensemen(players) at the World Champs and is a really good player. Realistically he should be one of the best defensive ds in the league in the coming five years. But you need to make the playoffs to fully reap the rewards of a player like him, in the regular season a star forward will win out every time. Game 7 in the playoffs, it won't have to look quite as silly anymore.

The notion that some players wait until Game 7 in the playoffs to play to their full ability is nonsense, and if it was true it would not be to their credit.

There's also zero indication Larsson "should be one of the best defensive Ds in the league in the coming fine years."

He is what he is, which is a competent second-pairing defenceman with no offensive production. Any other framing of his talents is misleading.

On topic, the Oilers made a horrible trade at the time and it remained equally bad through Cam Talbot's Vezina-level season and Taylor Hall's Hart-level season. External factors like the Oilers' one playoff appearance and the public acknowledgement of Hall's performance don't affect the trade retroactively. It was bad enough when it was made.

UncleOscar

Feb 12, 2010
Austin, TX
Took more than a couple of seasons but Frank Robinson was a pretty big blunder by the Reds. Triple Crown, MVP, World Series MVP IN ‘66.

Came here to say this one. Traded for "defense" (pitcher Milt Pappas) because he was "too old" at 30. Won MVP the next season and helped the Orioles to two WS (could've/should've been even more).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->