Taylor Hall(MVP) trade compared to other Major Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Were you asking this question when the Oilers made the Playoffs last season? No. Were you a huge Hall fan when he played in Edmonton? No.

People constantly ripped Hall when he was an Oiler, now they act as if he has always been this great

Was i asking the question when ;

Hall got traded: yes

Lucic was signed : yes

Eberle got taded: yes

Traded for Reinhart instead of drafting Barzal: Yes

Failed to support the Mcdavid: yes

Reactions: pucky

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The Donaldson trade's not a bad example. Though Larsson's far better than Lawrie.

People are underrated Larsson at this point. The guy's proped up Klefbom and Nurse in b2b years, all while playing top competition and normally walking away from the matchup on top. In short he's been a defensive pillar for Edmonton, a hell of a lot more that a "#4".

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Donaldson trade's not a bad example. Though Larsson's far better than Lawrie.

People are underrated Larsson at this point. The guy's proped up Klefbom and Nurse in b2b years, all while playing top competition and normally walking away from the matchup on top. In short he's been a defensive pillar for Edmonton, a hell of a lot more that a "#4".

Adam Larsson can be as good as Larsson can be, but he will still only be as good as Halls jockstrap. Sorry. This is the NHL MVP.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011

ehhh i mean i don't hate Larsson but i don't think he's underrated either. He is what he is. A solid 3/4 d man any team would love to have as a 3/4 d man. He's not a 1/2 d man like the Oilers needed when they traded for him the offence just isn't there.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

A chiarelli supporter !

Dont expose yourself or Oiler nation will burn you at the stake

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
MVP is an individual award. Happy for Hall.. Hes a stud but... In hindsight, the Oilers likely make the right move still as he would not have won MVP if he was on the Oilers.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
He was a free agent. He wasnt traded.

Although Portland drafting Yakupov like Bust in Greg Oden at 1 instead of Durant was infamous

-No, Bill Russel takes the cake with that one. Two unknown players to get Russel, now an 11 time NBA champion and the greatest NBA champion that ever lived in the NBA draft selection process. St. Louis gets the big whif in basketball besides Kobe Bryant.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Why are ppl comparing a D man to a forward anyways. Here's the deal... Both are good players... Both needed a change of scenery.. Hall gets accolades because hes a scorer.. Larsson doesnt cuz he is a defensive d man.

To get a good player u have to give one up.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
-No, Bill Russel takes the cake with that one. Two unknown players to get Russel, now an 11 time NBA champion and the greatest NBA champion that ever lived in the NBA draft selection process. St. Louis gets the big whif in basketball besides Kobe Bryant.

What ?

What about Michael Jordan being drafted 3rd.overall?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
ehhh i mean i don't hate Larsson but i don't think he's underrated either. He is what he is. A solid 3/4 d man any team would love to have as a 3/4 d man. He's not a 1/2 d man like the Oilers needed when they traded for him the offence just isn't there.
When you are playing 20 minutes a night against the best players on the other team, the most important thing is defense and Larsson excels in that area. He is absolutely a top pairing d-man. You can get other guys who can score.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Why are ppl comparing a D man to a forward anyways. Here's the deal... Both are good players... Both needed a change of scenery.. Hall gets accolades because hes a scorer.. Larsson doesnt cuz he is a defensive d man.

To get a good player u have to give one up.

This would be true if Larsson was a good #1-2 Dman which he is not. Clearly a #3. I mean you can play him as a #1-2 but you will get trashed.

Hall meanwhile has always been a top line winger.

I will take a top line winger over a 2nd.pairing Dman all day.

Not to mention were talking about a top 5 Winger in todays NHL, where i wouldnt even put Larsson im top 10 for best #3 Dman in league.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Lawrie wasn't the most important part of the trade though. It was Franklin Bareto. Hard to compare baseball trades which are built around propsects in High-A to Hockey.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Curious if a player in any sport/league has ever been traded and became an MVP within a couple of season of the trade.

Also what is the Hall for Larson trade in comparison to other sports.

For me its...

Steph Curry for Kyle Lowry
Drew Brees for Sam Bradford
Aaron Judge for Jose Bautista

Pretty good analogies but maybe Brees for Smith? LARSson is a good but not great player and more like a Captain Checksown type than Bradford?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
A comparison.. Lets see.. There is none cuz fact is... There is no other trades out there where a team traded an extra forward or qb who perhaps underachieved a bit.. Perhaps due to environment or perhaps cuz he was no longer the star of that team.. Who went on to win an individual award almost a year to the day he was traded.

Ppl dont trade MVPs.. The Oilers didnt either .

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
A comparison.. Lets see.. There is none cuz fact is... There is no other trades out there where a team traded an extra forward or qb who perhaps underachieved a bit.. Perhaps due to environment or perhaps cuz he was no longer the star of that team.. Who went on to win an individual award almost a year to the day he was traded.

Ppl dont trade MVPs.. The Oilers didnt either .

I agree w. This. The oilers didnt trade a current mvp, they traded a future mvp

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I agree w. This. The oilers didnt trade a current mvp, they traded a future mvp

MVP means very little tho. Its an individual award.. However without his mates on the ice, he doesn't do much. So really.. The idea of awards in an era where the ppl who voting for these likely show a huge bias to their hometown or local teams is just ridiculous.

Was Hall more important to his team than Mackinnon or Wheeler? Maybe but... Just cuz a bunch of guys who never played hockey voted that he is.. Doesn't mean hes better. He was most valuable to his team? Ok.. But that's all that award really is. DownGoesMcDavid.. It would be like u getting a vote.. U ain't voting for 97... Even if he was more valuable.. Why? Cuz Bias

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
MVP means very little tho. Its an individual award.. However without his mates on the ice, he doesn't do much. So really.. The idea of awards in an era where the ppl who voting for these likely show a huge bias to their hometown or local teams is just ridiculous.

Was Hall more important to his team than Mackinnon or Wheeler? Maybe but... Just cuz a bunch of guys who never played hockey voted that he is.. Doesn't mean hes better. He was most valuable to his team? Ok.. But that's all that award really is. DownGoesMcDavid.. It would be like u getting a vote.. U ain't voting for 97... Even if he was more valuable.. Why? Cuz Bias

Contractual bonuses for individual accoldaes such as mvp etc are literally implemented in player salaries today in sports.

So i disagree with you that being named MVP means nothing or has no value.

And you can talk bias all you want but having hall and mackinnon at 1 and 2 shows that the right MVp candidatrs were at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad