Speculation: Taylor Hall Contract

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Pennies on the dollar for players they had to trade away to meet the Cap because of number of higher priced players.
We're not the same as Chicago. They weren't moving a 3C who makes 6.5M or a backup goalie who makes 4.25M.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Wouldn't that make it harder for the Coyote's?? Which has been my point since this discussion started.
You're correct, without multiple departures likely at below market value we will have a difficult time resigning Hall.

I'm beginning to wonder if Chayka actually views Hall as a rental but did the fan base some lip service by saying he wouldn't make an offer until the off season.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
He will be 29 a month after next season starts. He may have 4 good years left if he is lucky. Very few players age well after 32 and are worth their big salaries. Less term and more per season is the way to go with aging speed players.

Reactions: Fixxer and Surfshop

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He will be 29 a month after next season starts. He may have 4 good years left if he is lucky. Very few players age well after 32 and are worth their big salaries. Less term and more per season is the way to go with aging speed players.

He will get seven on the open market and 8 is near mandatory for AZ to keep his AAV down. This is his last contract and he'll be looking for at least $80m. I bet that's the number his agent has in mind.

You take the 5 years of production and deal with the other 3 at a later time.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He will get seven on the open market and 8 is near mandatory for AZ to keep his AAV down. This is his last contract and he'll be looking for at least $80m. I bet that's the number his agent has in mind.

Hopefully by the time we reach year 5 the cap will have increased so much that a 10M cap hit won't be that bad.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Maybe the favorable tax situation and 8th year makes him more open to 75m rather than 80m?

rt

May 13, 2004
That's interesting. On the open-market, he'd get 70 for 7yrs. He's unlikely to sign another contract. And pretty likely to get bought out of the last year, either way. If he stays here and signs 70 for 8yrs, he's definitely not signing another contract and is again, pretty likely to get bought out of the last year or two.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan talked to Hall's agent, Darren Ferris, on Monday while in San Jose and he had this to say.....

From The Athletic (paywall) Re-signing with Arizona 'absolutely a possibility': A...

Ferris said he and Chayka are taking the same approach to the remainder of the regular season, and what the Coyotes hope will be a postseason run.

“John and I talked at length (Monday) night and it’s a fair assessment of the situation that they want to let him get in and let him get settled and see how it goes,” Ferris said. “Players have earned rights and they work hard to get to a certain point in their career and that’s probably one of the reasons (Devils GM) Ray (Shero) put him up for trade. He didn’t want to risk the possibility that he can’t sign him. He figured, ‘OK, well, my team’s going nowhere so I might as well do this trade. It would be a worse thing if the team didn’t make playoffs and they lost Hallsy in free agency.

“So now there’s a possibility for Arizona, and yes, it’s absolutely a possibility. It gives Arizona an opportunity that it probably would not have been afforded for him to consider in the future because you just don’t know where the mindset would be at the end of the year. Now you get a chance to have him in there, have him get an idea of what it’s like to be in Arizona, and I have the feeling with the way Hallsy approaches things that he will really like Arizona and the lifestyle there. He is going to see that, ‘This might be a place where I can play for a while."

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
I don't really get the feeling he's going to sign here. He seems unhappy, quiet, timid and out of sync. Doesnt help that the team is playing like absolute dog shit. I think he wants to be surrounded by stars, not be the main one, and Kessel sure as shit isn't a star anymore.

It will hopefully be a fun ride with him, but I don't anticipate he'll be a Coyote next year. Makes losing a 1st kinda painful but i would do the trade again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hall hasn't made the team better yet, but its still early, I think he will over time. we don't need to figure out today if we should sign him or if he wants to stay, plenty of time to determine that on both sides.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hall hasn't made the team better yet, but its still early, I think he will over time. we don't need to figure out today if we should sign him or if he wants to stay, plenty of time to determine that on both sides.
I agree, and I'm not sure I want Hall on a 8 yr. deal. Regardless, we have other vets that are dead weight on this team that have to be moved, and if that can happen, I may take a chance on Hall.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't really get the feeling he's going to sign here. He seems unhappy, quiet, timid and out of sync. Doesnt help that the team is playing like absolute dog ****. I think he wants to be surrounded by stars, not be the main one, and Kessel sure as **** isn't a star anymore.

It will hopefully be a fun ride with him, but I don't anticipate he'll be a Coyote next year. Makes losing a 1st kinda painful but i would do the trade again in a heartbeat.
Hall never smiles, like DVO in that sense. I don't think he signs either.

rt

May 13, 2004
If he’s a big part of making the team successful (like at least winning 3 playoff games but ideally at least 5) and he does well personally during that time, he’ll re-sign. If he’s not a major part of that type of success, he won’t.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Out of curiosity, how has he done for you guys so far? Has he met or has he been below your expectations as fans?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You're correct, without multiple departures likely at below market value we will have a difficult time resigning Hall.

I'm beginning to wonder if Chayka actually views Hall as a rental but did the fan base some lip service by saying he wouldn't make an offer until the off season.
Halls agent always tells his clients to become FA's. The fact Coyotes gave up little in return sure looks like a rental.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Halls agent always tells his clients to become FA's. The fact Coyotes gave up little in return sure looks like a rental.

The agent also said he goes with what makes his client happy.

Chayka already knew that and as he said... the team is more or less auditioning themselves to Hall.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’m also in favor of putting Kessel with Grabner and Richie. They’re both offensive black holes. Might as well put him on that line and hope he just generates his own offense

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I’m also in favor of putting Kessel with Grabner and Richie. They’re both offensive black holes. Might as well put him on that line and hope he just generates his own offense

Grabner-Ritchie take most defensive zone faceoffs so other lines don't need to. Not an option.

Reactions: RemoAZ

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The agent also said he goes with what makes his client happy.

Chayka already knew that and as he said... the team is more or less auditioning themselves to Hall.
Of course the agent says that. LOL.

The coyotes are banking on doing what the Sharks do, and it's good strategy. That's how Sharks got Kane and Karlsson.

I just have a feeling Hall wont sign here.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->