Speculation: Taylor Hall trade/contract talk (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I don't think I'd take a goalie back as value. That would obviously subtract from the rest of the deal by getting a temporary starting goalie back like Raanta. There are always opportunities to acquire that kind of stop gap player in the offseason, whether it be a NHL free agent or top European goalie. I wouldn't be opposed to a top notch goalie prospect in return, however, like Oettinger or Primeau.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I would suspect Timmins is Shero’s target in all of this (assuming Byram isn’t happening, which it most likely isn’t) even with Newhook being the better prospect based on team need.

This. I'm betting if this trade happens Timmins is your big piece coming back. I'm also guessing Sakic isn't doing this unless he feels pretty good about his chances of extending Hall, you just don't trade Timmins otherwise. It's honestly a win/win trade, you guys would fall in love with Timmins so fast.

Avs fans are very use to Sakic being the king of patience and not buying big midseason, but the Avs are finally turning a corner and looking to compete for a cup now. Giving up Timmins isn't going to break Colorado. Especially knowing Byram is right around the corner to joining the Avs.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I would suspect Timmins is Shero’s target in all of this (assuming Byram isn’t happening, which it most likely isn’t) even with Newhook being the better prospect based on team need.
I agree, if it is Timmins then I expect Shero has also given Sakic permission to talk extension with Hall. If Sakic gets the extension then I would guess the trade would look similar to the Stone trade.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I'm sorry, but if a Hall extension with Colorado is negotiated prior to the deal, it's Byram who's coming back. One for one.

Players like Jost/Timmins and a first with an assortment of other picks (conditional first) is the starting point for Hall simply as a rental. I'd be open to Newhook straight up with a conditional first if Hall re-signs there. But I'd expect Byram if the Avs can negotiate and finalize a deal prior to the trade.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree, if it is Timmins then I expect Shero has also given Sakic permission to talk extension with Hall. If Sakic gets the extension then I would guess the trade would look similar to the Stone trade.

I have no doubt Shero will give Sakic that permission. It’s no skin off his back.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Mikhail sergachev was traded for Drouin who is a 50 point player. I understand Drouin was young at the time, but if you’re Colorado and you get the chance to add an elite LW without touching your roster (byram) you do it

It is not a comparable situation. As you mentioned, Drouin was young (had recently turned 22 years of age) and Montreal had years of control with him left before UFA status. We have seen no trades involving a recent top-5 NHL draft pick traded for a pending UFA player, at least in the last couple of decades.

Reactions: deflowd

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have no doubt Shero will give Sakic that permission. It’s no skin off his back.

So long as they have a handshake on a rental deal. I’m not letting them talk if Sakic doesn’t give Shero some idea of what he is going to offer. Presumably Shero knows what Hall’s ask would be to even open a discussion.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If Byram is not on the table by Colorado, then I trade Hall to Arizona.

I think if we are trading Hall for a package of 4 assets, then Arizona probably beats Colorado because Raanta would have to be as part of the package. They have to include him for cap reasons and we need a new no.1 goalie.

Timmons, an AHL defenseman, should not be the centerpiece in Colorado's package deal. Especially given the injury history he has had

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

He can give him permission, but I'm not sure it'll matter. I think the likelihood of Hall extending with anybody before free agency is pretty slim at this point. The guy has been in the league almost a decade and has played for bad teams for almost all of that time. Why commit for essentially the rest of your career to a team when you can wait a few months and have multiple teams to choose from?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
He can give him permission, but I'm not sure it'll matter. I think the likelihood of Hall extending with anybody before free agency is pretty slim at this point. The guy has been in the league almost a decade and has played for bad teams for almost all of that time. Why commit for essentially the rest of your career to a team when you can wait a few months and have multiple teams to choose from?

For one, a career ending injury can have him lose 80 million dollars plus. Also the Avs are a great team, not much risk signing there.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
For one, a career ending injury can have him lose 80 million dollars plus. Also the Avs are a great team, not much risk signing there.

I think this is overstated. Those type of injuries are exceedingly rare and I wonder how often athletes are really factoring that into any decision making. Though it does make me wonder if Hall is carrying insurance on his career. I know I would be.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I think this is overstated. Those type of injuries are exceedingly rare and I wonder how often athletes are really factoring that into any decision making. Though it does make me wonder if Hall is carrying insurance on his career. I know I would be.

It's not just career ending though, any injury could lower his value.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He probably knows where he'd want to go at this point and hearing from whatever teams he'd sign with won't be an issue as Shero can just let his agents talk to whomever. I think if he wants to win as much as he says he does, Colorado is the place to go. There aren't going to be a ton of teams that can afford him with their current line ups and any that want to sign him can be given permission to negotiate now if it would help facilitate it.

Reactions: Iracundia

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
It's not just career ending though, any injury could lower his value.

If this think is getting real close we might not actually see Hall play another game for the Devs. I wouldn't risk getting him injured if something is real close.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
is all this smoke about hall to COL real or are people just speculating bc some nonreputable idiots on twitter said it's happening before the end of the road trip
A few notable insiders are indeed saying that Colorado is very interested and a deal can take place before the Christmas roster freeze.

Random idea: trade Hall and bring back Kovy at 50% retained with a pick. See if he wants to have a redemption arc and teach some kids.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: glenwo2

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
A few notable insiders are indeed saying that Colorado is very interested and a deal can take place before the Christmas roster freeze.
excitement

i like what the chiclets guys said, that there should be some conditional stuff if hall re-signs with colorado. but if he re-signs it'd probably be their 2021 1st rd pick, and maybe they can throw in a conditional 1st if they make playoffs this year and hall scores ______ pts, or something.

Reactions: NjDevsRR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad