Value of: Taylor Hall contract extension today

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'm not even sure what he could end up getting. If he repeats last seasons performance it will be a big number. As of right now the Devils have 53.8 mil in cap space for the 20-21 season. But still have yet to sign Wood.

There's no cap crunch problem. He's going to get a big payday for sure.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Because as I said, state income tax is not the only factor affecting your take home pay or how much your money is worth on a state to state basis.

You're absolutely correct......

I lived in Calgary working as a consultant for 15 years, then started a company and moved to Houston 10 years ago.

The whole "no tax" is a load of shit. All you need to do is buy a house down here to realize that they are going to get you one way or the other.

Property taxes in Houston, if you chose to live in a nice area, are 10x what they are in Calgary. I currently pay about $32k a year.

I paid myself the exact same salary as I was making as a consultant living in Calgary. My take home by time everything was all said and done......about the same.

And let's not pretend that these guys are paying financial consultants a boat load of money to ensure they are getting the most out of their pay checks.

Now if you want to talk about the benefits of the weather......sure I'll entertain that all day long!

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
What's the point of this thread? Hall can't even start negotiating until July. This season will definitely factor into what his next contract will be.

Who cares what anybody thinks he should get right now. He can't sign right now.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
I wouldn't pay him close to what Seguin just got. He's been a 60 point player for 3 whole years before this, that's not a great track record for a guy who people would apparently give 10+ million.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
People are starting to put way too much thought into state income tax on contracts on this website.

I agree

99% of the people on this site do not have the money to pay of a high end tax lawyers and accountants. I have dealt with enough of the 1%, here in the UK and US to realize that when you make a certain amount of money, there are ways upon ways to get around some taxes.

Here is an example I gave a few years ago.

Player X played for a Canadian team, but lived in the US, where he spent about 75% of the calendar year physically being that With how complex contracts can be, it was figured out that due to how the business structure of the team was, he was paid via the US branch of the owners organisation and paid only minimal Canadian taxes.

I am no expert on taxes, but for about 12 years I had to file taxes with, Canada, US, UK and Australia every year--even I figured out a few loop holes that were completely legal.

when most of us look at taxes we look it from a working jo's perspective and not from a business perspective.

Many players are incorporated businesses and have far more flexibility and creativity on how they do their taxes

uncleblazer

Jan 12, 2018
a lot of people carry about state income. to say no one cares about it is stupid. the more money you make, the higher discount you get and players know that. the discount is probably why seguin signed for less than 10 million. it's probably part of why kucherov and stammer signed for less than 20 million combined
I'd argue that it has less to do with taxes in those scenarios more to do with core groups of those teams wanting to stay put and be competitive without losing their opportunity at a cup. If those teams weren't competitive I'd guess there would be no discount from anyone just for taxes sake. Also from what I read AKL never said no one cares just that HF over exaggerates its importance to players.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'll wait till the end of this season to decide, but from where things are looking right now anywhere from 9-11M for 6-8 years.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'd argue that it has less to do with taxes in those scenarios more to do with core groups of those teams wanting to stay put and be competitive without losing their opportunity at a cup. If those teams weren't competitive I'd guess there would be no discount from anyone just for taxes sake. Also from what I read AKL never said no one cares just that HF over exaggerates its importance to players.
Seguin signed a deal where he makes less than 10 million for the next 8 seasons after this one on a team that hasn't had much success during his tenure. That's a prime example that goes against the point of your post. However I see the validity in your post and accept it as legit.

The quote I was replying to had AKL posting this as his second sentence: "No one cares about state income tax which usually varies by 2-3% per state", so no, AKL did say "no one cares about tax".

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
So last four seasons he has one nice season and he's suddenly worth 10m a year?

Edit: And how the f*** are JT and Seguin his comparables?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
THe difference in signing in Canada compared to California is that players get paid in American money converted to Canadian. Tavares gets paid 20 million Canadian in bonuses I believe.
Yeah. McDavid is getting roughly 16 Million gross per year right now CDN

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
In what way? When your in a low income tax state it’s better for the team because players will sign cheaper.

Are they? Kuch signed to a sweetheart 9.5 million aav deal...

Factor in Stamkos' 8.5m aav deal, and Hedman's 7.8m... uhh... you sure you believe state tax has no factor whatsoever?

When it comes to millions of dollars over a multi year deal I think HF evaluates state income tax a reasonable amount.

Whatever they gain in state taxes over 41 games (~2-3%) they pretty much lose in property taxes and other taxes/expenses.

Players want to play in Tampa because it's a great place to live as a millionaire and they have a good team. If you're a star quality of life (how comfy is it where you live, is your family there, how do you feel coming to the rink when it's a huge part of your life) is more important than squeezing an extra few hundred K off a 7 digit contract. Now for a scrub for whom every penny counts and who could be out of the league in a couple years and would be at a huge economical disadvantage the rest of his life it would be different.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
What's the point of this thread? Hall can't even start negotiating until July. This season will definitely factor into what his next contract will be.

Just curious what people generally think he's worth right now after a solid season. Now, if he does have a 60 point season this year it'll be interesting to see the drop in %. If any.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

What this guy said.

Hall's got two years left. You are only allowed to extend players with one year left or less.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
So last four seasons he has one nice season and he's suddenly worth 10m a year?

Edit: And how the **** are JT and Seguin his comparables?

I chose JT and Seguin because they both had solid ppg seasons, both are approximately the same age and both signed contracts recently.

Who would you use to compare with Taylor Hall right now?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That extension is two years from now. Hall would be turning 29 in November of that season. Paying him 10+ AAV for 7/8 years of his back nine would be brutal. I wouldn't go more than 5 or 6 years.

29 isn't really anything when talking about the 7/8 year deals. Assuming he keeps doing at least his career averages for the next couple years, he's going to control the situation, as any free agent of that level does. To get Hall at 29, you're going to have to pay him when he's 35 or 36. It's the price of doing business around the league.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Lol at the bad takes from a Ranger and Flyers fan. You're right, Tavares and Seguin aren't his comprables. He actually broke the 90 point in his career, unlike them and won a Hart.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
People are starting to put way too much thought into state income tax on contracts on this website.

well if they were paid like a regular everyday salaried employee, then it would matter, but they aren't and for the life of me I don't get why people can't figure this out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->