Speculation: Taylor Hall Benched, New Jersey last in the East - do they need a shake-up?

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Jersey has the cap space to resign Hall even at $10M. I am a little surprised that this has not already been done. He did say that his primary consideration would be winning. But even so player tend to stay put if the money is on the table and he seem tp like the NY area.

It hasn't been done yet, because it's not allowed to be done yet.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Jersey has the cap space to resign Hall even at $10M. I am a little surprised that this has not already been done. He did say that his primary consideration would be winning. But even so player tend to stay put if the money is on the table and he seem tp like the NY area.

It hasn't been done, because negotiations can't start until July 1, 2019.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
One of the main reasons Shero was fired is because he kept Bylsma around too long; maybe we are seeing this in New Jersey too?

Nah. Hynes has done well here. Bylsma was working with a Cup team, not what Hynes started with and currently has. To replace a coach, you have to have a reason - or think another coach would be doing 'better' - whatever that definition is. Hynes job wasn't necessarily to win, in the sense of win or nothing - it was more to come in, put in a new structure, a new personality, help a young team grow up, and progress. If the Devils don't progress, than you can fire him.

Reactions: Smitty426

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
One of the main reasons Shero was fired is because he kept Bylsma around too long; maybe we are seeing this in New Jersey too?

if you think that the situations in Pittsburgh and New JErsey are even remotely similar during Shero's tenures, you aren't paying attention.

I don't really care one way or another about Hynes, but lets not compare the situations please.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You get assets, you try to pick the BPA in the draft, you do your homework, try to get lucky, be patient and take the opps when they come your way.

I can't complain too much about what Ray has done. This team had nothing, zero, nada when he took over. Not too mention was pretty much near bankruptcy when he took over. They've had to clean up a lot on the ice, as much as off the ice. And if you don't think one affects the other, you're mistaken.

I see Butcher being mentioned above as being "meh" or "just ok"----he's 23, pretty much played every game - had 44 points last year and is slowed a tad this year (but so has the team) - but he's 23 - 120 GP already and is almost at .5 PPG. Kid is on the way to be a solid top-4 D, which is great. I don't see the point in comparing to Pionk, Butcher serves the Devils very well in what they need right now.

Severson, Butcher, Vatanen, Ty Smith (almost made the team this year, now killing it in WHL this year - probably play NHL before season is over) leading the way into 2019-2020 --- still have really good D prospects in Reilly Walsh, Jeremy Davies, etc. Andy Greene still has a year left on his contract, and despite what some may say, the guy is generally smart/solid. If anything with Smith coming on, hopefully he can be the 'Dad' back there and have his TOI come down a tad to preserve him.

Nico is just fantastic. He just turned 20 last night, already so solid defensively, strong on the puck for this size, has fit in so well with what this team is and wants to be. He is that Datsyuk type of guy, and his offense will only get better.

Aside from Nico, the 2017 draft is shaping up to be interesting as well. Jesper Boqvist, Fabian Zetterlund, Aaron Talvitie, Walsh all look to possibly push for spots in '19-20/20-21. Boqvist/Talvitie next year, the others maybe the following. Joey Anderson is already on the team, but it's guys like Boqvist that have bigger O upsides.

Every year it's a progression, and it's not linear. This year maybe non-playoff but if you're telling me at the end of it, we got a good pick coming up, we found a potential future #1 in Blackwood, Severson came into his own, Joey Anderson became a player, and the rest of the kids got experience - you take it and move forward.
Smith won't play in the NHL before the season is over, except as an emergency call-up for a game or two. Otherwise, the rules don't allow that.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Smith won't play in the NHL before the season is over, except as an emergency call-up for a game or two. Otherwise, the rules don't allow that.
Yea they do. If his WHL season ends before the Devils season does. We've seen this with other players.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
You guys have excuses for everything haha

I never derailed the thread. My original post in the thread was Hall should go nowhere and I'm rooting for NJD to be better than they've been because I don't want to see them near the draft lottery. Your NJD fan brethren took it off the rails from there.
Where in my post did i make an excuse..... saying it wasn’t Shero was a fact :laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Guaranteed Hall hits free agency in two years. Wouldn't surprise me to see him sign on with a guaranteed contender like Tampa.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Guaranteed Hall hits free agency in two years. Wouldn't surprise me to see him sign on with a guaranteed contender like Tampa.
Tampa has a huge cap crunch coming. They won’t be in the market for big ticket UFA’s for years.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I won't quote all of the responses on my post, so I'll just pick this last one and respond in general. I'll give you one of your specific responses... NYR don't have any elites in the pipeline. I agree. Neither do the Devils, though. Nico is nice, but not elite either. Past him, it's pretty ****ty. Actually, past the 1st line in general... the team is pretty ****ty.

When NJ didn't make the playoffs for 5 seasons in a row (and 6 out of 7) and I might gloat a bit about them missing the playoffs again (and again) I was told by Devils fans, every one of those seasons, it's because they were rebuilding.

When I said LL was ruining the team by not selling veterans and buying to try and make the 8th spot, I "knew nothing about the Devils and should worry about my own team." Now it's all Lou's fault... like I said.

Shero's first big picks were Zacha and McLeod... to the one that mentioned how tremendous Shero's drafting has been. Same guy thinks ROW is better than points and standings. But at the same time, NJ is supposed to be "rising" while NYR were always supposed to be bad this season. When does that whole "rising" thing start?

Other guy says Bratt, Wood, Butcher and Zacha are the building blocks of the future and "at least they produce." lol Good luck with that. I'll take NYR prospects and young players over that group any day. I'm open to a bet that Chytil will produce more next season, at age 20, than any of those mentioned. I'm feeling pretty good that Kravtsov will also be better than any of those great NJ building blocks.

Again... Nico is nice but the rest? Butcher is no better than Pionk... and that's not very good and not even someone I'd bring into the discussion. Bratt is Hagelin 2.0... gonna be a decent NHL player. Zacha is trash... I think any sensible NJD fan would agree there. Wood is a nice bottom 6 type... I'll give you that. I wouldn't kick him off my team with his speed and grit but wouldn't be depending on him to be a big cup competitive piece of the puzzle. It's pretty hard to get excited about the potential of anyone else in the system after Ty Smith and maybe Joey Anderson.

I doubt we will all agree on any of it, but I'm pretty confident that the NYR will be the better team in the next 3-5 years. You NJ fans better start praying Hall resigns, because if he leaves it's going to be a complete **** show in a couple seasons.

Devils fan here who despises everything remotely connected to the Rangers.

If you think Hischier is not elite or at least does not have a high probability of becoming elite you have a drastically different view of player personnel than the majority of hockey. That's a hard comment to even respond to.

When the Devils were not making the playoffs for 5 seasons in a row, the majority of that time they were NOT rebuilding, and thats the point. They were in purgatory - not good enough to compete and not bad enough to reload (get high picks, sell assets for future capital etc). Thats what got them into this mess as you correctly alluded to. Now they are rebuilding and after a early surge last year have taken a disturbing yet predictable step backwards this year.

You are 100% correct that Zacha and McLeod have crippled this organization. You can't rebuild while blowing two prime picks like this in back to back years. You just can't. it's great to make hay with Bratt in Rd 6 but you need to hit on your 1's and THEN find a Bratt to really get there.

Taking Andersson at 7 is not far off from looking like the same kind of blunder however... but the Rangers can and will use money to compensate for that screwup. Thats the difference.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Come home Taylor. We would arguably have the deepest LW if he did. Move Frolik (4.3Mil) and Stone (3.5Mil) + 11Mil in cap space thats 18.8Mil to sign Tkachuk and be able to fit Hall. :nod::sarcasm:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Taylor Hall will look great in a spoked B uniform. He'll sign with the Bruins, his childhood (and mother's) team, as a UFA. :naughty:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Taylor Hall is a smart player and probably has pulse on what's going on in the league more than most players. He's speaking honestly about NJ's situation, which is that they need more talent in order to be competitive. Hopefully that starts tonight with the draft lottery, but beyond that expect Shero to be active in free agency and the trade market this offseason as the Devils have a ton of cap space, owners that are willing to spend, no really "terrible" contracts on hand currently and 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds that could be used in trades (similar to deals he's made for Palmieri or Johannson). I don't think Shero is going to deviate from his plan of building a contender for short term success next season in hopes of keeping Hall, so any deals would still have to make sense long-term for the franchise.

That being said, I really think that Taylor enjoys playing in NJ and likes Shero and Hynes. This is a major decision and he'll take his time with it - talk to family and friends and see how the Devils team looks by mid-July after the free agency period. I would actually be rather surprised at this point if Hall signed an extension on July 1st. There's certainly a possibility that Hall could go into next season without an extension and see how things go with a team that figures to have quite a few changes, but I think he will likely make a decision prior to then. Whereas Lou let a lot of good players walk from the Devils for nothing in their free agency years (Niedermayer, Parise, Gomez, Holik, Ralaski, Martin, Mogilny, Gionta, Clarkson...very nearly Elias, just to name a few) I don't see any way that happens with Shero. If Hall is still not extending by next year's trade deadline I believe he will be dealt regardless of where the Devils are in the standings. Ultimately though, I don't think it comes down to that as I believe he signs an extension this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad