taxi squad

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
So with the taxi squad being set, Avalanche Sets Taxi Squad as Active Roster Reduced to 21, how exactly does this work? I think they are able to be swapped at will during the season? I assume they don't have to be segregated away from the team? They can practice with the team?

It also mentions Byram assigned to the Eagles, will they be able to keep him there if they don't want to put him on the NHL roster? Or is it that as soon as the WHL starts up they have to promote him to the NHL?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Thanks for sharing. It does not make much sense to me based on prior comments from Bednar about Byram, but perhaps someone else can explain it.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So with the taxi squad being set, Avalanche Sets Taxi Squad as Active Roster Reduced to 21, how exactly does this work? I think they are able to be swapped at will during the season? I assume they don't have to be segregated away from the team? They can practice with the team?

It also mentions Byram assigned to the Eagles, will they be able to keep him there if they don't want to put him on the NHL roster? Or is it that as soon as the WHL starts up they have to promote him to the NHL?

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I actually don't mind if Byram DOES go to the AHL, if he doesn't make the NHL roster for a good amount of games.

I would prefer he go to the AHL then sit and I really don't want him going to the WHL.

I am just surprised that they COULD send him to the AHL, is it just because the WHL hasn't officially started up yet?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the AHL thing is just a paper transaction since he's in quarantine. He can't be on the NHL active or taxi roster because he's in isolation, so they're just stashing him with the team until he's out and ready to join.

Reactions: Richard Doll

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Is Sherwood injured which is why we have him up or is he now the Dries/Tynan/Megna of 2021; the AHL we don't want to suit up before the kids?

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I actually don't mind if Byram DOES go to the AHL, if he doesn't make the NHL roster for a good amount of games.

I would prefer he go to the AHL then sit and I really don't want him going to the WHL.

I am just surprised that they COULD send him to the AHL, is it just because the WHL hasn't officially started up yet?

The AHL doesn't even start until February 5th.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Right, Sakic and Bednar have made it very clear their plan for Byram. Sakic even announced he’ll be on the ice Saturday, it’s just a paper move. Since he’s not cleared to play in the NHL he can’t be on either roster plus this saves them 3 days worth of cap. I think he will go on the taxi squad when cleared and they’ll activate him once ready to put him in the lineup.

In general he can be on the AHL roster until the WHL has games which at this point there’s no plan and they are saying late Feb. I am very much against Byram in the AHL for many reasons I’ve shouted and it’s not going to be anything but a glorified scrimmage league this year but we’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

The taxi squad is going to work like an in-house AHL. Bednar said they will practice and travel with the team. If anyone is needed they’ll be activated by 3pm on game day. How we will know there’s been a transaction remains to be seen. The Avs will carry as little as possible on the NHL roster, either 20 or 21 with a full 6 available on the taxi squad. Everyone has cleared waivers or are on two way waiver exempt contracts and will be able to move up and down freely.

When they either want to change up the taxi squad or backfill when there’s injuries/covid the new guys may be subject to 7 day quarantine (Eagles travel everywhere via commercial air so not sure they can get away with none or limited but we’ll see) so for all intents and purposes anyone in the AHL are a few steps away. The taxi squad will see the action.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Right, Sakic and Bednar have made it very clear their plan for Byram. Sakic even announced he’ll be on the ice Saturday, it’s just a paper move. Since he’s not cleared to play in the NHL he can’t be on either roster plus this saves them 3 days worth of cap. I think he will go on the taxi squad when cleared and they’ll activate him once ready to put him in the lineup.

In general he can be on the AHL roster until the WHL has games which at this point there’s no plan and they are saying late Feb. I am very much against Byram in the AHL for many reasons I’ve shouted and it’s not going to be anything but a glorified scrimmage league this year but we’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

The taxi squad is going to work like an in-house AHL. Bednar said they will practice and travel with the team. If anyone is needed they’ll be activated by 3pm on game day. How we will know there’s been a transaction remains to be seen. The Avs will carry as little as possible on the NHL roster, either 20 or 21 with a full 6 available on the taxi squad. Everyone has cleared waivers or are on two way waiver exempt contracts and will be able to move up and down freely.

When they either want to change up the taxi squad or backfill when there’s injuries/covid the new guys may be subject to 7 day quarantine (Eagles travel everywhere via commercial air so not sure they can get away with none or limited but we’ll see) so for all intents and purposes anyone in the AHL are a few steps away. The taxi squad will see the action.

I would prefer him not in the AHL as well, I just prefer it over the WHL or sitting.

Ideally he gets a solid number of games in the NHL.

Thanks for clearing some of that up!

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->