Tavares

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Was driving the other day listening to 97.1 and the guy hosting said that he had heard from several sources, that when the Islanders played the Wings the last game of the season...the Wings brass gave him a personal tour of Little Caesar's Arena. Could be something to think about. Wings will have to move out some salary. Would you guys want him?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I would imagine that someone like JT would ask for 7M+, freeing up that much is not gonna be easy with out current situation.
Assuming Nyquist waives his NTC, we could trade him, maybe AA as well. I would think it would be pretty easy to find the cap needed for JT.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I would imagine that someone like JT would ask for 7M+, freeing up that much is not gonna be easy with out current situation.

Time to start trading back from 6th!

What a dumb idea this would be. I guess it would maximize their chance at mediocrity and help keep fans interested. The Isles roster has more talent than Detroit, and they still finished well out of the playoffs, what difference is Tavares going to make for the Wings' Cup chances? Stick to bottoming out the next couple years then look at making some big FA signings with all the cap space they'll have at that point

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Does Detroit have an extra 10 million plus laying around after we sign our RFAs. There is your answer on Tavares playing in Detroit.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
^^ Pretty much.

If tavares signs for under 9 Million it would be a sweet heart deal.

We do not have the right age of team
we do not have the money
tavares wouldn't even want to come here (bad team)

the only reason he would sign in Detroit, is if we offered him 11-12Mil. Which is a stupid stupid idea. I expect he signs for 9.5-10Mil on a contender.

Reactions: njx9 and jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I mean, you always try to land elite talent. It would be stupid to not at least look into bringing him here. Now, you don't bet the farm for it like they did for Suter when they were still Cup contenders, but when you poopoo a shot at a truly elite NHL player because "what difference would he make?", you're going too far.

Frankly, you are rebuilding to try to get elite talent. For me, if you can land an elite talent who is NHL proven and isn't mid 30s? That's just as good. By the time we are expecting to be any good, if the prospects are truly elite? They'll be getting paid as much as Tavares would be.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
^^ Pretty much.

If tavares signs for under 9 Million it would be a sweet heart deal.

We do not have the right age of team
we do not have the money
tavares wouldn't even want to come here (bad team)

the only reason he would sign in Detroit, is if we offered him 11-12Mil. Which is a stupid stupid idea. I expect he signs for 9.5-10Mil on a contender.
Yeah.

Maybe if we'd won the lottery and been able to draft Dahlin to upgrade our defense right away with a young, cheap player, then going after JT makes sense.

But we didn't. Signing JT makes us maybe a bubble team. Not even an actual playoff team, just one that might make it. What is the point of locking up another guy on a big money, long term contract that'll hit a lot of after prime years just for that?

Kudos to the Wing's brass for giving him the tour. Costs us nothing to treat him well like that and only keeps options open in the off chance we'd won the draft sweepstakes. I'm glad they're keeping their options open using tools besides the immediately obvious. Just don't actually sign him now that we know where we're picking.

Reactions: NickH8

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I mean, you always try to land elite talent. It would be stupid to not at least look into bringing him here. Now, you don't bet the farm for it like they did for Suter when they were still Cup contenders, but when you poopoo a shot at a truly elite NHL player because "what difference would he make?", you're going too far.

Frankly, you are rebuilding to try to get elite talent. For me, if you can land an elite talent who is NHL proven and isn't mid 30s? That's just as good. By the time we are expecting to be any good, if the prospects are truly elite? They'll be getting paid as much as Tavares would be.

Well if the question is:

"would you like tavares on your team on a 5 year 8mil per year deal?"

then yes, of course we sign him.
Hes a #1 elite franchise C. (and we have a hole for that)...

I just don't see how our team can pull off even a fair deal to sign tavares.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Well if the question is:

"would you like tavares on your team on a 5 year 8mil per year deal?"

then yes, of course we sign him.
Hes a #1 elite franchise C. (and we have a hole for that)...

I just don't see how our team can pull off even a fair deal to sign tavares.

Right. I'm in the same boat on that. I just think you do everything you can within reason to bring him in. If his price goes too high (which it probably will), you walk away from the table. But you keep asking the question. Go in, eyes open, know that you probably will be outbid, but put the sale out there. And who is to say.. maybe if you give Mantha a legit 1C, let Larkin feast on 2C duties and even give the 3C role to Zetterberg so AA has a legitimate playmaking C who can set him up and all of a sudden that offense looks a lot better. Getting the top line guy pushes everyone down into the roles where they probably should be.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I fully believe Holland could make ~$9-11M in space for him (which is the reasonable landing spot for his next deal IMO)

Trade Nyquist, trade AA, etc. a couple of moves and you're okay to sign Larkin, Mantha, Tavares.

But we'd be right up against the cap again and no sign of life on the blueline for the next few years still.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I really feel like if Tavares, Doughty, or Karlsson hit UFA (I still really doubt that they do), each of them will have 30 teams putting in offers saying "What is the highest offer you got? We will match that and find away to move the money around to make it happen if you choose to come here."

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It's fun to think about, I guess, but there's no reason in the world he would come here. The team's going to be a loser for pretty much the rest of his prime. He'll get the same money from a team that is already competing, or is closer to competing.

Sure, I guess. Try to sign him. But I doubt he has any more interest than Stamkos had.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Move Athanasiou, don't re-sign Green, buy out DeKeyser or Nielsen.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's fun to think about, I guess, but there's no reason in the world he would come here. The team's going to be a loser for pretty much the rest of his prime. He'll get the same money from a team that is already competing, or is closer to competing.

Sure, I guess. Try to sign him. But I doubt he has any more interest than Stamkos had.

Rebuilds happen a lot faster post-cap world, so within the 5 years or so if we play our cards right, we could have a contender. With that said, there are other teams that have much better building blocks than we do.

If I was Tavares, Toronto would probably be very high on my list given that he's from Mississauga, they even have a few UFA's this summer that they can let walk to make the space for him.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Tavares @ 9 mil vs Dekeyser and Ericsson @ 9 mil

Obviously won't be easy to move those two but I think you can sign Tavares first and then worry about how to get rid of your trash second. Also I highly doubt he signs here but would make the team a lot more watchable next season

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I don’t see the point. He’d make our team better resulting in a lower pick... by a little at least.

I would love him here in Detroit, but realistically we’re no better than the Isles and imo slows down our progression. I’m not for tanking or heavily relying on drafting high, but I don’t see him significantly improving our team.

I don’t see him making us a playoff team but he’d improve our team enough to make us draft lower

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don’t see the point. He’d make our team better resulting in a lower pick... by a little at least.

I would love him here in Detroit, but realistically we’re no better than the Isles and imo slows down our progression. I’m not for tanking or heavily relying on drafting high, but I don’t see him significantly improving our team.

I don’t see him making us a playoff team but he’d improve our team enough to make us draft lower
We may be close to a playoff team without JT next season.

Note* close meaning drafting around 10-11 range

Note* I said "may"

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

****, with the way the lottery has gone, maybe we are better off just barely missing the playoffs. ****ing Dallas, Carolina, Philadelphia, etc.

Reactions: KJoe88

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
No, he’s too old to be of any use once we are actually good....

It would just be delaying the process assuming KH wants to do this correctly. Big assumption there though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad