Tavares vs. Crosby

Blues077

Jun 7, 2006
I'm not saying one is better than the other. Its too early in their careers right now. But you put Ovechkin on the Penquins right now and Crosby on the Caps. Who out scores who? Ovechkin, 60 + goals on that team. Crosby does have alot more talent to work with. As great as Crosby is, I think he and Ovechkin are closer than most people think.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Ovechkin and Crosby might be closer then people think talent and skill wise and are obviously different types of players. Playmaker and a goal scorer.

What keeps them apart at the moment and in my mind puts Crosby way ahead at this time is their off season training and overall preparation for the season.

Once Ovechkin gets used to north america and realizes he needs to put more time in on the offseason who knows?

Comparing Tavares to either at the moment is silly, he is still 2 years away and his progression could skyrocket or stall. By the time Tavares enters the league, Crosby could have 500+ points and Ovechkin 400+.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin and Crosby might be closer then people think talent and skill wise and are obviously different types of players. Playmaker and a goal scorer.

What keeps them apart at the moment and in my mind puts Crosby way ahead at this time is their off season training and overall preparation for the season.

Once Ovechkin gets used to north america and realizes he needs to put more time in on the offseason who knows?

Comparing Tavares to either at the moment is silly, he is still 2 years away and his progression could skyrocket or stall. By the time Tavares enters the league, Crosby could have 500+ points and Ovechkin 400+.

Thanks to everybody for staying on topic.

I was looking for opinions on their sixteen-year-old seasons only. Which one was better?

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
I was looking for opinions on their sixteen-year-old seasons only.

Why? Comparing one year in the development of a career means well, nothing really.

But, since age apparently matters over all else:

People need to remember that Ovechkin is significantly older than Crosby, and this additional developmental time should be taken into consideration. That said, Crosby is the more complete player IMO. We will see with Tavares.

On thing is for certain: All the talk about about a dilution of talent in the league should be fixed over the next couple drafts.:yo:

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
I'm not saying one is better than the other. Its too early in their careers right now. But you put Ovechkin on the Penquins right now and Crosby on the Caps. Who out scores who? Ovechkin, 60 + goals on that team. Crosby does have alot more talent to work with. As great as Crosby is, I think he and Ovechkin are closer than most people think.

people like you are still around??

do you know who crosbys linemates where the entirety of his first two seasons???

colby armstrong, andy hilbert

then

march recchi, ryan malone.

please stop this ridiculous argument.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
people like you are still around??

do you know who crosbys linemates where the entirety of his first two seasons???

colby armstrong, andy hilbert

then

march recchi, ryan malone.

please stop this ridiculous argument.

Hilarious.:biglaugh:

I think the arguement you made goes to you, as Ovechkin's centre for the past 2 seasons was a natural winger for almost his entire career, Dainius Zubrus.

His other linemate was Chris Clarke, who was an average NHL'er who scored 10-15 goals, until Ovechkin came.

And also, did you forget Malkin also played as linemates with Crosby?

And how about the offensive defensemen in Whitney and Gonchar? Who do the Caps have?

And as I remember correctly Andy Hilbert is currently an Islander.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I just want to say that producing 3 generational talents in a span of 5 years is incredible, and it only increases the chances for the NHL to be as popular as basketball, or baseball or even soccor or football for that matter, in USA and Europe.

ajjg123*

Hilarious.:biglaugh:

I think the arguement you made goes to you, as Ovechkin's centre for the past 2 seasons was a natural winger for almost his entire career, Dainius Zubrus.

His other linemate was Chris Clarke, who was an average NHL'er who scored 10-15 goals, until Ovechkin came.

And also, did you forget Malkin also played as linemates with Crosby?

And how about the offensive defensemen in Whitney and Gonchar? Who do the Caps have?

And as I remember correctly Andy Hilbert is currently an Islander.

LoL Malkin is only on Crosbys line in late game situations. I think the played one or two games together on the same line

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Yes, and how many points did Malkin and Crosby put up together in how many minutes?

they actually do not play that well together. if you watched you would know. therrien mixes lines constantly

alexander oveckhin and evgeni malkin are NOT, i repeat NOT generational talents. do not stretch the term thin.

its been proven that great players score regardless of the strength of their teammates. hence- ovechkin would not have had a scoring title if he played with pittsburgh this year, and he will likely never have a scoring title- because he is such a shoot first player.

ps i would take zubrus and clark over recchi and malone anyday. and while were playing the "good player on team that means it must have upped my point total game" what about alexander semin?

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
they actually do not play that well together. if you watched you would know. therrien mixes lines constantly

alexander oveckhin and evgeni malkin are NOT, i repeat NOT generational talents. do not stretch the term thin.

its been proven that great players score regardless of the strength of their teammates. hence- ovechkin would not have had a scoring title if he played with pittsburgh this year, and he will likely never have a scoring title- because he is such a shoot first player.

ps i would take zubrus and clark over recchi and malone anyday. and while were playing the "good player on team that means it must have upped my point total game" what about alexander semin?

Then please define me generational talent?
Many hockey analysts have said that Crosby and Ovechkin are generational talent, and another one is also coming up, in Tavares.

These guys are special players, hence generational.

I wont read BS from a Pens fan without no background info. to back him/herself up.

Many hockey players also have said it, too.:teach:

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Your probably the only one who would do this, not a single freakin thing in the universe would do that.

Semin is a 2nd Liner, just like Malkin, the coach wants offense to be spread around.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Your probably the only one who would do this, not a single freakin thing in the universe would do that.

Semin is a 2nd Liner, just like Malkin, the coach wants offense to be spread around.

I think you'd have to be mentally challenged to somehow make a case for taking a 39 year old Mark Recchi and Ryan Malone who I just don't have an adjective to describe (how bout slug, no-talent 3rd/4th liner?) over Zubrus and Chris Clarke.
Now stop turning this thread into a damn Crosby/Ovechkin thread AGAIN. This isn't about Ovechkin, so take your act somewhere else. How bout the Crosby Ovechkin THREAD?

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think you'd have to be mentally challged to somehow make a case for taking a 39 year old Mark Recchi and Ryan Malone who I just don't have an adjective to describe (how bout slug, no-talent 3rd/4th liner?) over Zubrus and Chris Clarke.
Now stop turning this thread into a damn Crosby/Ovechkin thread AGAIN. This isn't about Ovechkin, so take your act somewhere else. How bout the Crosby Ovechkin THREAD?

OK, (illness problems)..........................

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
i would consider evgeni and alex exceptional players. players of this calibre come arounf every 3-5 years. multiple all stars. top 10 to 15 in scoring consistently.

a generational talent wins a scoring title in his 2nd year. they come around every 15-20 years.

these are very different and very separate. it doesnt matter that you like ovechkin more. he was projected as a very strong player- and he is. but crosby is on a different level.

now- tavares is a prospect on the same level of ovechkin and evgeni right now. we will see how he develops in junior. he has 2 more years...and a very good attitude in terms of wanting to get better.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
i would consider evgeni and alex exceptional players. players of this calibre come arounf every 3-5 years. multiple all stars. top 10 to 15 in scoring consistently.

a generational talent wins a scoring title in his 2nd year. they come around every 15-20 years.

these are very different and very separate. it doesnt matter that you like ovechkin more. he was projected as a very strong player- and he is. but crosby is on a different level.

now- tavares is a prospect on the same level of ovechkin and evgeni right now. we will see how he develops in junior. he has 2 more years...and a very good attitude in terms of wanting to get better.

Agreed... Generational means once a Generation... not twice or three times... right now Crosby is easily playing at the highest level, so he represents the generation as that generational player.

As for the goof above, I don't really know what you're implying with "(illness problems)"??

ThatOneGuy*

Title needs to be changed to Tavares vs Brendl... until Tavares proves otherwise.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

So at the strike of midnight 15-20 years later a man's swimmer makes a hockey star. I don't think so. I don't think you can gage it like that. Was Lemieux and Gretzky 15-20 years apart? No way of judging that. I'm sorry but that is a load of crap.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
So at the strike of midnight 15-20 years later a man's swimmer makes a hockey star. I don't think so. I don't think you can gage it like that. Was Lemieux and Gretzky 15-20 years apart? No way of judging that. I'm sorry but that is a load of crap.

listen i dont make this stuff up.

you cant just pick a player you like and call him a generational player. crosby is a talent that the league hasnt seen since mario lemieux.

THIS IS A FACT.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

listen i dont make this stuff up.

you cant just pick a player you like and call him a generational player. crosby is a talent that the league hasnt seen since mario lemieux.

THIS IS A FACT.

That's fine. I wasn't attacking that. I was attacking your system where you say 'every 15-20 years a group of swimmers creates Gretzky II'

You have no way of judging that. There could be a group of 2000 point players that get drafted in 15 years. You. Have. No. Idea.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
That's fine. I wasn't attacking that. I was attacking your system where you say 'every 15-20 years a group of swimmers creates Gretzky II'

You have no way of judging that. There could be a group of 2000 point players that get drafted in 15 years. You. Have. No. Idea.

of course you can judge it. the same way you can judge a prospects potential. eric lindros was the last player deemed "generational." and he was. his skill set, in his body- is unreal. but he is human- so unfortunately injuires stopped his career short.

no one has ever said it is exactly 15-20 years. what that implies is that these are the surefire prospects that dont come around often. the highest level of player that destroys his competition at every stage of his hockey career.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Wow you still are not getting the point. You can't predict when stars come and go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->