Value of: Tavares' UFA Rights at the Draft

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
No, it definately is a possibility.

Or maybe i'm wrong
No only way he can get an 8th year is if the Islanders signed him to it prior to official free agency. You have to be on a teams roster from the prior trade deadline to get the 8th year. Any UFA team or if he were traded unsigned to a team the max is 7 years.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
If Tavares wants 8 years and have 3-4 teams he is interested in signing with, there will be a bidding war between those 4 teams for his right. I say it could go as far as a 2019 1st. And as a Habs fan, i would easily do it.

thank God you are not our GM.....you would get us in more trouble then MB already has!!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
No only way he can get an 8th year is if the Islanders signed him to it prior to official free agency. You have to be on a teams roster from the prior trade deadline to get the 8th year. Any UFA team or if he were traded unsigned to a team the max is 7 years.
Huh. I didn't know that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think NYI would get anything juicy. If they're even at the point where they're looking to trade his UFA rights, it'll be a disaster.

Moving him for a couple of conditional picks would be a double slap in the face to Islanders fans. From a PR standpoint, it may be best for NYI to do everything they can to sign him, even if that means ultimately letting him walk for nothing.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Wrong.

If Tavares wants 8 years and have 3-4 teams he is interested in signing with, there will be a bidding war between those 4 teams for his right. I say it could go as far as a 2019 1st. And as a Habs fan, i would easily do it.

Not sure if another team other than the islanders can give him 8 years.

Regardless, do you really think Tavares will want his future team to give up a good asset (like a 1st rounder) just so he can get an extra year on his deal?

Reactions: Benstheman

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
WPG 1st from STL for JT’s rights?

If he doesn’t sign, STL gets NYI 2nd in 2020

I could see Doug offering that. He's looking to use that pick as currency in a trade anyway so why not use it to land the biggest fish.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don't think NYI would get anything juicy. If they're even at the point where they're looking to trade his UFA rights, it'll be a disaster.

Moving him for a couple of conditional picks would be a double slap in the face to Islanders fans. From a PR standpoint, it may be best for NYI to do everything they can to sign him, even if that means ultimately letting him walk for nothing.
Completely disagree. It would be a PR disaster if JT leaves no matter what the return is. It's not like getting a conditional 2nd would make the PR situation significantly better or worse...it would be really bad regardless. May as well get something for his rights if he decides to leave IMO.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
IF the scenario is trade and sign or sign and trade then the deal will involve MORE than just a first coming back to the Isles.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
IF the scenario is trade and sign or sign and trade then the deal will involve MORE than just a first coming back to the Isles.

Not necessarily. If he’s not going to resign with the Isles then he either signs with the team of his choice for seven years or does a sign and trade to the team of his choice for eight years. The Isles have zero leverage in terms of being able to keep him from going or even in determining where he goes, so it simply comes down to how much that team is willing to pay for an eighth year versus how little the Isles are willing to accept to give it to them.

And how much do you think a team is going to be willing to pay for the season when Tavares will be 35yo? Will he even still be worth the AAV of his next deal at that point, or might they possibly be better off simply signing him for seven years and then giving him what would almost certainly be a cheaper extension if they want to keep him around at that time? I don’t see a team overpaying just to give him that eighth year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I'm running the Leafs, I wouldn't waste time on a sign and trade or trade for his UFA rights: I basically don't want to sign Tavares at 8 years anyway and would be content to pitch him for a max. of 7 if he hit the open market.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Ok thanks. I didn't know that.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Not sure if another team other than the islanders can give him 8 years.

Regardless, do you really think Tavares will want his future team to give up a good asset (like a 1st rounder) just so he can get an extra year on his deal?

For the former sentence, you are right. But the idea would obviously be in a sign and trade scenario, where Islanders don't want to lose JT for nothing and the other team wants him for 8 years. They would ask JT where he wants to sign is next contract and everyone is happy.

For the latter, considering the move is awin now mode move for the team acquiring him, i don't think the player care very much for the assets going the other way, unless it is an important actual core player.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Gotta think that both the Isles and JT's party want a decision to be met by June 15th.

The Isles have dealt with things to date as if they're confident that JT will be re-signing. All logic begs to differ, but Tavares has never seemed to be the type who'd leave the team completely hanging and just go on the free market without giving Snow and co. an opportunity to make something of the situation.

In any case, I suspect that if Tavares can't be signed by June 15th, the Isles will get at least a conditional 1st rounder this or next summer for his negotiation rights - and likely from a team that Brisson feels is a good spot for Tavares to continue his career.

Reactions: IODCPiper

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
A first round pick with no conditions. A third (18/19/20) and a fifth (18/19/20) with conditions that he signs with the team that made the trade. If you're trading 2020 draft choices, you're also giving a fourth and seven round pick

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
My 2 cents is if Snow played his cards right he might be able to get a lottery protected 2019 first round pick for a team who is making that extra push offering an 8th year
Lmao your two cents is fake, he isnt getting a 1st back for his rights lmfao

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Thing about all this speculation is for all we know he has already made up his mind, does not care about an 8th year, and would not want to hurt his new club by costing them an asset.

The Habs trading for his rights seems very risky, STL and SJ have reasonable positions I guess but this is one of those cases where he probably already knows where he wants to go and so there is no point in trading for his rights, you'll either get him or you won't.

Reactions: Byrral

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad