Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
By paying them the money that would have gone to their defense. Toronto trying to load the offense so much that D and G don't matter. Can't help but feel like Tavares is a very nice square peg bought for the round hole.

If the square peg is John Tavares, I'd be pounding that peg into a round hole until the hole decided it wanted to change it's shape.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

With an $11 million aav, John Tavares left millions on the table to sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Some say $13 mil offered by others.

Tavares contract breakdown: Year 1, $650k salary, $15.25M sb; Year 2, $910k salary, $15.25M sb; Year 3, $910k salary, $11.09M sb; Year 4, $910k salary, $8.44M sb; Years 5-7, $910k salary, $7.04M sb in each of those years

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
After seeing that salary breakdown, I don't see Blues being able to pay his salary with the same structure.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
After seeing that salary breakdown, I don't see Blues being able to pay his salary with the same structure.

meh...if they can afford $11M/yr over the course of the year, I'm sure they could front-load that payment into the start of it via a signing bonus. Just have to move ownership's assets around...not like we've got Melnyk owning the club.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
close the thread

Why not just let it die on its own? Some people may want to discuss the implications of him not even talking to us if and when new information comes to light. I'll never understand people's desire to see threads closed when there are still people who want to discuss it. Its not like this board has so many active threads we need to worry about useful ones getting pushed off the front page. If people want to still talk Tavares, they can. If people don't want to read it, they can not click on it, as always.

Reactions: Celtic Note

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I guess the structure has to do with a potential lockout, but having almost all of his money taxed in Canada is going to cost him $$$ as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So SJ offered 13m and he still went to Toronto for less. So glad he didn't go there.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I feel bad for Islanders fans. It probably feels like it did when Pujols left the Cardinals. I don't blame them if they're angry. But the thing that would anger me the most is that they missed the playoffs and could have traded him for something and got nothing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I feel bad for Islanders fans. It probably feels like it did when Pujols left the Cardinals. I don't blame them if they're angry. But the thing that would anger me the most is that they missed the playoffs and could have traded him for something and got nothing.
They were committed. Hopefully this Is a lesson learned for high end players. If Petro doesn't re'up when it's his time, I'd hope DA explores the market. Could wind up being another Shattenkirk though

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
It's probably a lot worse. The Cards still had a stacked team, and even immediately signed a big FA bat to replace AP (Beltran). They went to the NLCS the first season without Pujols and the WS the next year. The Islanders aren't gonna be making a run like that any time soon.

Reactions: 67Blues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I mean everyone was acting like Lou was gonna be the savior and he hasn't done jack shit aside from sign a few bottom 6 forwards. Their team will suck.

Which, that part I'm glad to see. I've never been a fan of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->