Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It definitely sucks a little Tavares wouldn’t meet with the Blues. Imagine being a die hard Islanders fan. It’s very likely they watch a franchise elite center walk and get absolutely nothing in return. That’s a tough pill to swallow.

Reactions: Dbrownss

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
It definitely sucks a little Tavares wouldn’t meet with the Blues. Imagine being a die hard Islanders fan. It’s very likely they watch a franchise elite center walk and get absolutely nothing in return. That’s a tough pill to swallow.
their own fault though.

Reactions: SteveR85

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Those Islanders fans have got four consecutive Cups with a Dynasty in their franchise history. The one thing I don't do with an Isles fan is pity them. Envy, maybe. Admire surely, but not pity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Blues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yup... I don't really feel bad for any fanbase. I can relate to some of them, but... I have enough to deal with from my own team. f*** the rest.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
their own fault though.

This should be interesting. So how exactly is it the Islanders' fans fault they lost Tavares?

Those Islanders fans have got four consecutive Cups with a Dynasty in their franchise history. The one thing I don't do with an Isles fan is pity them. Envy, maybe. Admire surely, but not pity.

And if they weren't born back then, they are a millennial so f*** them on general principle, right?? </heavy sarcasm> Around half the country's population isn't old enough to remember back then. Losing Tavares sucks for an Isles fan. Something that happened three and a half decades ago doesn't change that.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Oh I don’t feel bad for any fan base. Being a Blues fan is moving from calamity to calamity. Everyone else can blow it out their ass.

This is just a general disclaimer.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I know he won’t, but I’ll be a big fan if he drags this out through the week and injects a little chaos into he system. Also would be funny to hear all the insiders complain about not getting to relax in their cottages 7-2 and beyond.

Reactions: RoarBacon

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This should be interesting. So how exactly is it the Islanders' fans fault they lost Tavares?

And if they weren't born back then, they are a millennial so **** them on general principle, right?? </heavy sarcasm> Around half the country's population isn't old enough to remember back then. Losing Tavares sucks for an Isles fan. Something that happened three and a half decades ago doesn't change that.

So it's better to be a Blues fan, a team that's been to the Finals their first three years, had Glenn Hall legendarily stand on his head, ice teams with the likes of Hull, Oates, Shanahan, Demitra, Turgeon, Chopper, Pronger with some of the best coaching that money could buy... and never win a Cup?

Your logic astounds me.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So it's better to be a Blues fan, a team that's been to the Finals their first three years, had Glenn Hall legendarily stand on his head, ice teams with the likes of Hull, Oates, Shanahan, Demitra, Turgeon, Chopper, Pronger with some of the best coaching that money could buy... and never win a Cup?

Your logic astounds me.

Where did I say that? Its better to have some empathy. You can understand someone else's position and empathize with it without qualitatively comparing it to your own.

Last edited:

FrontYardSpecial

Jan 22, 2014
honestly think your team is the best fit for him

too bad

Would love JT on the Blues but there's always next time.

In 7 years when his next contract is up, he can sign in STL for a year or 2, then retire and get promoted to a front office gig.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I feel bad for Islander fans, Detroit fans, and particularly for Ottawa fans. I do not mean this in a condescending way, I am just trying to put myself in their shoes. I have also had great conversations with fans from all three teams. Sometimes a different experience can lead to a wider, more encompassing perspective on the "State of the Union" of your favourite team. The sub-forums can be a bit insular, even though I call this one home.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I feel bad for Islander fans, Detroit fans, and particularly for Ottawa fans. I do not mean this in a condescending way, I am just trying to put myself in their shoes. I have also had great conversations with fans from all three teams. Sometimes a different experience can lead to a wider, more encompassing perspective on the "State of the Union" of your favourite team. The sub-forums can be a bit insular, even though I call this one home.
Detroit?

Uhhh...

Yeah, no. I don't even hate them anymore but I can't think of one single reason to feel bad for them. They're fine.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Guess that 8th year didn't mean all that much to Tavares after all.

Why would it? JT is a smart guy. He could basically agree to a 9-year deal today with any team he wanted, so long as he's willing to sign the 8-year portion of that contract on Jan. 1. The chances of him suffering a catastrophic, career-ending injury between July 1 and Dec. 31, are small enough to warrant taking a 1-year deal for $15M today, and follow that up with an $96M/8-year deal in 6-months.

You're basically giving the team a probation period, and if you don't like how year one goes, you pack up shop and do it all over again next year...having just collected the largest salary in NHL-history. It's a no-brainer...if you're among the league's elite. I'm hopeful Army made a similar pitch.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's going to be interesting to see what the Maple Leafs make available if they get Tavares, which seems likely.

It won't be Kadri.

Do we think Nylander could move to C?

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
How they can keep Marner and Nylander now?

By paying them the money that would have gone to their defense. Toronto trying to load the offense so much that D and G don't matter. Can't help but feel like Tavares is a very nice square peg bought for the round hole.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
How they can keep Marner and Nylander now?

7 years x 11mill.$ for Tavares
They probably can't keep both in the long term.

What this does is allows them to dangle Nylander as a trade chip for a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->