Speculation: Tavares or Carlson, why not both?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Convinced is a pretty strong word. What made you convinced he stays on the Island ?

Because everyone who knows Tavares well seems to say he's a class act and a loyal person - I don't think he packs up and leaves New York.

Perhaps "convinced" is too strong a word, but I'd be very very surprised if he left.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There are "lots" of potential UFA Dmen available in 2019/20. Maybe a secondary guy like Ellis would be a good fit for the Leafs. Leafs to get to he next level can't really trade their way to a Cup or overpay for top UFAs. Need Dermot, Borgman, Liljegren to be good NHLers. Zaitsev to regain his rookie form.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think the Leafs will go after Tavares for one reason, Stamkos. They were "players" for his services last off season. Their long term cap situation has not dramatically changed between last summer and this summer. there is no reason to think they wont go after him.

Stamkos is a center, Tavares is a center Tavares will address multiple areas, he will replace JVR's 30+ goals each year, give strength down the middle, bring that leadership that Shanny and Babcock covets.

We may not get him but we will be in the hunt for him.

Reactions: Critical and Albi34

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think the Leafs will go after Tavares for one reason, Stamkos. They were "players" for his services last off season. Their long term cap situation has not dramatically changed between last summer and this summer. there is no reason to think they wont go after him.

Stamkos is a center, Tavares is a center Tavares will address multiple areas, he will replace JVR's 30+ goals each year, give strength down the middle, bring that leadership that Shanny and Babcock covets.

I was thinking our team were already looking like a potential Pittsburgh model but if we sign Tavares we're really going down that road. Matthews, Tavares could hopefully be our own version of Crosby, Malkin. Most of the cap space invested in a couple of all stars ,potentially filled out with younger promising players, Rielly could be our Letang and we'll have to hope for the best with the rest of the group.

Would be interesting and I've been warming up to the idea of investing in a guy like Tavares. I've wanted to put more into defense but maybe Dubas can find some low budget options.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

They went after Stamkos 2 summers ago.

Matthews had never played a game.. neither did Marner. McDavids 12.5M contract and Eichels $10M didnt exist. Both broke through the ceiling barrier for players of this age/ilk.

Back then they probably figured Matthew's could be $7-8M (more along Scheiefele/MacKinnon lines) and Marner/Nylander quite a bit less. Heck they didnt even know if Marner would make the team let alone be a $7M+ player!

Things have changed dramatically since then.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Dermott Carlson
Rielly Tanev
Borgman/Rosen/Hainsey Zaitsev

If they could move Zaitsev for value and there was no chance of Tavares this works for me, but Zaits is not on a bottom pairing deal and it seems likely he cannot be the defensive side of a pairing. I kind of think they have to see what he has this next year. If he steps forward he re-establishes himself as a top 4 guy to keep or deal, but Carlson is long gone by then and you are hoping for Doughty.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Tavares would be a dream come true, to be honest. I am trying to temper my expectations, but of the top 10 players I want on the Leafs, Tavares is one (Stamkos was too).

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
They went after Stamkos 2 summers ago.

Matthews had never played a game.. neither did Marner. McDavids 12.5M contract and Eichels $10M didnt exist. Both broke through the ceiling barrier for players of this age/ilk.

Back then they probably figured Matthew's could be $7-8M (more along Scheiefele/MacKinnon lines) and Marner/Nylander quite a bit less. Heck they didnt even know if Marner would make the team let alone be a $7M+ player!

Things have changed dramatically since then.

I don't necessarily think it's guaranteed we pay Matthews 10+ or Marner 7+.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they could move Zaitsev for value and there was no chance of Tavares this works for me, but Zaits is not on a bottom pairing deal and it seems likely he cannot be the defensive side of a pairing. I kind of think they have to see what he has this next year. If he steps forward he re-establishes himself as a top 4 guy to keep or deal, but Carlson is long gone by then and you are hoping for Doughty.

We can fit him under the cap for next year, and he's a better option than Carrick. I'd keep him for a year, and hope that his game recovers, and then move him for a better return. Plus, he can be a stop gap, and hope that Lily is ready for the following season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If they sign Tavares they’ll be able to move Nylander
If they sign Carlson they’ll be able to move Gardiner
I would not move Gardiner just so we can sign Carlson. Seems silly to do this. We get Hainsey out of here as he was a hot mess and then Babcock can not over play him again.

We need a top 4 Dman at a good cap hit and not blow the wad on a Dman who will be over paid and not worth their contract there by handcuffing us when we need the cap space forcing us to move out a needed player because we overpaid.

Gardiner I would resign now while he feels his value is low. 6 years at 6m per.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would not move Gardiner just so we can sign Carlson. Seems silly to do this. We get Hainsey out of here as he was a hot mess and then Babcock can not over play him again.

We need a top 4 Dman at a good cap hit and not blow the wad on a Dman who will be over paid and not worth their contract there by handcuffing us when we need the cap space forcing us to move out a needed player because we overpaid.

Gardiner I would resign now while he feels his value is low. 6 years at 6m per.

They’re not signing Tavares anyway and I doubt they would sign Carlson either. I’m not convinced that he’s he answer to top 1 or 2 D.

Gardiner for 6 years would be a tough pill to swallow, but on the other hand I don’t know if it’s him or the defensive style the Leafs play. Perhaps in a new scheme with a new role he’d be worth 6 over 6.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't necessarily think it's guaranteed we pay Matthews 10+ or Marner 7+.
Mathews will be 10.5m and Marner will want to wait until next year unless then make the offer 8m per and if he waits until next year he will seek a similar deal to Mathews as he will likely have put up a massive year as him and Mathews will be playing together as the Mathews meet saw to that.

horner

May 22, 2007
Sign Carlson 7 mil
Trade Gardiner - he will cost about the same 6 mil

Sign Tavares

Tavares and Mathews
We really won't need a 4 th line center lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->