Speculation: Tavares or Carlson, why not both?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
apparently i don't give a damn nor share your opinion about our D or your non existent way to improve it.

I appreciate that there is a vocal group of a few posters fixated on Tavares, star struck or something... you, ToneDog, etc... but if you are watching the games, it should be obvious where our deficiencies are, and that is primarily on D.

Don Cherry " Here's the Leafs right here, they terrific and fast forwards, a dynamite and not very good defense" Ron "That's a great summation."

What helps the Leafs more?

1. *
    #1 RHD, such as Doughty/Weber/Karlsson

57 vote(s)
    98.3%
  2. #1 C addition, such as Tavares

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
This Leafs team needs D... maybe even two new ones...

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Do you think we will draft accordingly? Or just get the BPA.

Accordingly - Knowledge of knowing whether we will sign a C or D this coming July 1st.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Do you think we will draft accordingly? Or just get the BPA.

Accordingly - Knowledge of knowing whether we will sign a C or D this coming July 1st.

I'd think BPA considering what # our pick should end up being. Could have made a case for slotting Liljegren into the NHL right away given team need, and that didn't happen. This year's 1st would also likely be in tough to make the team out of camp.

Reactions: Dzonna

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I appreciate that there is a vocal group of a few posters fixated on Tavares, star struck or something... you, ToneDog, etc... but if you are watching the games, it should be obvious where our deficiencies are, and that is primarily on D.

Don Cherry " Here's the Leafs right here, they terrific and fast forwards, a dynamite and not very good defense" Ron "That's a great summation."

What helps the Leafs more?

1. *
    #1 RHD, such as Doughty/Weber/Karlsson

57 vote(s)
    98.3%
  2. #1 C addition, such as Tavares

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
This Leafs team needs D... maybe even two new ones...

No question this team needs D. Once the UFAs walk they will also have a holes in their top 9. There is no rule that says you cannot sign JT and acquire a dman or two., That is what I have been saying we should do.

As for Doughty/Weber/Karlsson. No guarantee Doughty becomes available. No interest in Weber and his anchor of a contract and I think Karlsson will want to be the highest paid dman. He might be worth it if he did not play like Jake in his own end.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't get why people want Carlson. Great player, does exactly what Rielly and Gardiner do. We need a Tanev, not another 50 point dman whos average defensively.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't get why people want Carlson. Great player, does exactly what Rielly and Gardiner do. We need a Tanev, not another 50 point dman whos average defensively.

There's always going to be an element of risk in the type of contract he's likely to get, but a RD, that's generally been good for a full season, that can play on the PK in addition to producing offensively, that's potentially available via free agency, hopefully brings a good amount of reward to diminish or balance any downside.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
RHD. Big minute player.

Leafs biggest need: RHD big minute player

Isn't that the need for MOST teams ?

upload_2018-5-11_7-29-25.png

Carlson will be a King's ransom.
The overpay will be huge if he changes teams.

I think this playoffs answers this question.

D or C ?

D.

D and C is LOL.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Signing Carlson makes Gardiner expendable, which I think has some merit. Carlson is better overall than Gardiner, and while he'll likely cost more on his new deal than Gardiner will on his new deal in a year, he at least plays the correct side of the ice for us.

Pure defensive players are not how the new NHL works. What you need are guys who can efficiently move a puck, break out quickly and accurately, skate, and at least average or ideally better in their own zone.

member 300185

The problems with Tanev is exactly why the Leafs should stay away. To high AAV and has an injury history. Why would we want to give up anything for a guy like that? And, I dont think he is that good.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The problems with Tanev is exactly why the Leafs should stay away. To high AAV and has an injury history. Why would we want to give up anything for a guy like that? And, I dont think he is that good.
The only problem with Tanev is his injury issues. And I'm not pretending that isn't a red flag but if he could somehow play 82 a year he'd be incredibly valuable and worth a lot more than he currently is. It's a gamble, I'll admit it. And I'm not sure why you don't think he's very good. Is it because he doesn't put up points? Because that's not what we need. We need a shot suppressor in the top 4 and he's one of the best in that area. He and Rielly on a pairing would be elite.

Reactions: Kurtz and NovaLeaf

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs have been down the Tanev road before with Lupul and Colaiacovo. Expecting these guys to suddenly be healthy is a fool's errand. They are what the are... made of glass, and for that reason, cannot be counted on as anything more than a support piece for a greater core. In other words... if a guy like Tanev plays... great, your team is that much better. But you can't count on him. You need the depth to offset his absence and the Leafs don't have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: stakesishigh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad