Tavares+Marner or Point+Stamkos

Which duo moving forward

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh I will. I’m still waiting to agree with you on Bozak being better than prime Kesler. Let’s just say I’m not counting on you being right here either.

Offensively, they were always near identical.

And since total offensive stats are the only thing that seems to matter to you, you must agree.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Offensively, they were always near identical.

And since total offensive stats are the only thing that seems to matter to you, you must agree.
Nope. I look at both offensive and defensive stats. I’ve said on a number of occasions that there’s more to hockey than offense.
Relying only on offence leads to absurd comparisons like Bozak and Kesler.
Anyone who watches hockey would agree with me.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nope. I look at both offensive and defensive stats. I’ve said on a number of occasions that there’s more to hockey than offense.
Relying only on offence leads to absurd comparisons like Bozak and Kesler.
Anyone who watches hockey would agree with me.

but you just compared marner and kucherov just one one offensive stat.

and which defensive stats? plus/minus?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
but you just compared marner and kucherov just one one offensive stat.

and which defensive stats? plus/minus?
When one player has over a 40% point advantage it’s not necessary to resort to other stats unless the other is a Selke level defensive player which clearly Marner is not even close to. Other stats are helpful when comparing players who are relatively close. Not when two players are so far apart.

But feel free to post what ever cherry picked stats support your player and help you to ignore the 40% difference in production last year.

Surprised the Leafs are doing so well having lost a star like Bozak. You would have thought he was irreplaceable.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
When one player has over a 40% point advantage it’s not necessary to resort to other stats unless the other is a Selke level defensive player which clearly Marner is not even close to. Other stats are helpful when comparing players who are relatively close. Not when two players are so far apart.

But feel free to post what ever cherry picked stats support your player.

Interesting contention.

It seems like you believe that single-season scoring totals are the only thing that matters in a player comparison, and that we are not able to discuss any change to that perfect stat until the end of the subsequent full season.

Good luck with that.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Interesting contention.

It seems like you believe that single-season scoring totals are the only thing that matters in a player comparison, and that we are not able to discuss any change to that perfect stat until the end of the subsequent full season.

Good luck with that.
Interesting observation.
Cherry picking stats like the 2018 calendar year and ignoring a larger sample size seems strange for a guy who has always argued that three year point totals are the most accurate stat. I guess the 47 game calendar year metric is only used when it favours the Leafs player.
Good luck with that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Interesting observation.
Cherry picking stats like the 2018 calendar year and ignoring a larger sample size seems strange for a guy who has always argued that three year point totals are the most accurate stat. I guess the 47 game calendar year metric is only used when it favours the Leafs player.
Good luck with that.

You pointed out that Kucherov scored more points between OCT 2017 and APR 2018, an 82gm sample.

And I pointed out that Marner has a better ppg from JAN 2018 to OCT 2018, a 60gm sample.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You pointed out that Kucherov scored more points between OCT 2017 and APR 2018, an 82gm sample.

And I pointed out that Marner has a better ppg from JAN 2018 to OCT 2018, a 60gm sample.
Yes. You cherry picked a smaller sample size to favour your player. If it makes you feel better then take last season including the playoffs plus the beginning of this season instead of cherry picking.
That gives you an even larger sample size which you seem to prefer whenever it favours the Leafs player. Do you want me to dig up some of your old posts where you’ve stated that?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yes. You cherry picked a smaller sample size to favour your player. If it makes you feel better then take last season including the playoffs plus the beginning of this season instead of cherry picking.

I guess I did.

I'm sure I will be proven embarassingly wrong in this comparison.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Marner and Tavares have, what, one playoff series victory between them? And it was to Florida?

Yeah because they've both played on inferior teams their whole careers, kind of tough to say anything about Marner after last year's playoffs too...Stamkos has, what, 7 shots, 0 points and a -6 in 6 game 7's?

Mar 26, 2010
The Toronto rebuild didn't suddenly inherit the Islanders playoff track record, but nice try.
No kidding. Toronto is about to make its own playoff record. I guarantee this.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sweet lord this thread went off the rails quickly. I voted for Leafs duo here, just love the way Marner plays, but it's close.

Recency bias is a factor as TBL has looked like crap and TOR is smokin hot for sure.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Marner and Tavares have, what, one playoff series victory between them? And it was to Florida?

Why do you continue to resort to how many playoff series the leafs have won? Matthews and Marner have been in the league for 2 years. They have made it to the playoffs both years and proceeded to lose in hard fought 6 and 7 games series to the first place and 4th place teams in the league. Tavares is now joining the best team he’s ever been a part of. But I guess that’s the only way you have left to attack the leafs. Oh well, that will change soon

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You’re a Leafs homer. Because you go over the top about the Leafs in every post and give zero credit to opposing players who deserve it. Like I said you’re in no position to criticize anyone unless you clean up your act.

LOL. All you do is take the exact opposite stance in every Leaf related thread. No different than what you claim AT ALL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->