Tavares+Marner or Point+Stamkos

Which duo moving forward

• Total voters

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I like point and tried to get him with my fantasy teams, but he is in no way a top 10 C. which of these guys is he better than? i didnt even include seguin, the caps dupo, barzal, eichel etc

Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Mackinnon
Matthews
Tavares
Kopitar
Stamkos
Schiefele
Barkov
All of them besides the first 5, though you may have forgotten a combination of Bergeron/Couturier/Barzal on this tier

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Leafs duo pretty easily. Tavares and Stamkos are a wash, but Marner is very likely going to have a way more impressive career than Point when all is said and done.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Point has gotten 2:25 pp toi for his career, Marner is at 2:17
Point has gotten 14:53 ES. Marner 14:16

say what you want about "inflated" but marner has done more with less ice time

point has the edge defensively, but to say point is equal on offense is kinda ignorant.
Let’s take a look at last season shall we

Point: 2.32 p/60, 1.855 p1/60,
Marner: 1.93 p/60, 1.437 p1/60

You were right about them not being equal on offense. Point is better.

(Edit: these are 5v5 numbers)

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares-Marner if you want points. Stamkos-Point if you want better two way game. Tavares-Marner has that Panarin-Kane torch the league potential and they're likely going to be together for years to come.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Point didn’t PP1 hardly at all before this year while marner inflated his numbers on a hot leafs PP down the stretch last year.

Im not going to argue one over the other, but this is a terrible argument for Point over Marner.

Marner was on what was supposed to be the 2nd PP unit with Bozak, JVR, and Komarov were the most common forwards in his group. Just because he elevated this group and killed it on the powerplay last year is no reason to paint it as a negative for Marner.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sigh. Acting like Point is hot ****. Leafs Duo. Toss in that beast Kuch, and we can talk.
Point isn’t that far behind Kuch at this point. He’s far better defensively and much more consistent. Kucherov is a bit tough to rate but I have him as a top 3 winger because he managed to be an elite producer last season despite phoning it in for months down the stretch. Point could pass him as soon as this season though, if Kuch can’t find his consistency or his dominant stretches and point continues to develop into one of the most well-rounded centers in hockey.

Reactions: Luminiferous

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Why are so many people obsessed with making comparisons with the Leafs?

That aside, I'd say the Tampa duo. Tavares vs. Stamkos is a draw, and I think Point is a more defensively responsible player, whilst having similar offensive upside.
People want to compare to the best, that's why.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Point blows Marner out of the water, not even fair to compare them.

Tavares is probably equal if not a little better than Stamkos.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Always thought that Point and Willy were very comparable players.

Marner I would liken to Kucherov.

Stamkos to Tavares

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
All of them besides the first 5, though you may have forgotten a combination of Bergeron/Couturier/Barzal on this tier
Barkov and Schielfe are a tier above point, I would still take Tavares, getzlaf, kopitat over him as well. The guy is good but your overeating him.

Add in guys like eichel, Stamkos, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, barzal etc. And your looking at a 21-25th best center in the league

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Always thought that Point and Willy were very comparable players.

Marner I would liken to Kucherov.

Stamkos to Tavares
Agreed. The only thing separating Kuch from Marner right now is the 31 more points Kuch had with his 100 points to Marners 69. Otherwise they’re almost the same.

Reactions: LarKing

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Agreed. The only thing separating Kuch from Marner right now is the 31 more points Kuch had with his 100 points to Marners 69. Otherwise they’re almost the same.

how many years did it take Kucherov to hit 69?

Mar 26, 2010
Oh come on you’re one of the most notorious Leaf homers on here. If you want to call out others then take a long look in the mirror first.
I am a Leaf homer because I don’t agree that every player on the Leafs is garage or sucks like you say. Come on man.

I call it how it is. I give credit to other players around the league that deserve it as well.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I am a Leaf homer because I don’t agree that every player on the Leafs is garage or sucks like you say. Come on man.

I call it how it is. I give credit to other players around the league that deserve too.
You’re a Leafs homer. Because you go over the top about the Leafs in every post and give zero credit to opposing players who deserve it. Like I said you’re in no position to criticize anyone unless you clean up your act.

Mar 26, 2010
You’re a Leafs homer. Because you go over the top about the Leafs in every post and give zero credit to opposing players who deserve it. Like I said you’re in no position to criticize anyone unless you clean up your act.
Clean my act up. Have a look in the mirror.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad