Tavares is winning faceoffs...hallelujah!

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Amongst all the negativity and chaos, let's pause for a moment of celebration at a rare but positive development - winning faceoffs! That was the only thing I took away from last night's game. Tavares wins a faceoff on the power play and they score a goal...imagine that. He wins another - sets up Vanek for a goal. He addressed and overcame the most obvious kink in his game of late. Why can't these other bozo's learn from example what it means to challenge yourself and improve your game?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Amongst all the negativity and chaos, let's pause for a moment of celebration at a rare but positive development - winning faceoffs! That was the only thing I took away from last night's game. Tavares wins a faceoff on the power play and they score a goal...imagine that. He wins another - sets up Vanek for a goal. He addressed and overcame the most obvious kink in his game of late. Why can't these other bozo's learn from example what it means to challenge yourself and improve your game?

I am happy to see him win some faceoffs.
But one game were he won some does not mean much IMO.
like you said Faceoffs are def a weak part of his game.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Really? Recognizing and addressing the problem means a great deal I think. Even if he only wins 50% going forward, that's still better than 10% or 20%. More importantly, he's showing why they put that "C" on his jersey.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Faceoffs are a huge problem for us, any improvement in this area is huge for us. It made a big difference in the first two periods before the collapse.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'd imagine that this will be Tavares' focus in the offseason. I won't be surprised if it becomes a strength for him in a couple of years.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
while u arent wrong about last night and the positive impact it would have on the team going forward, i am not taking ANY positives until we either win a game or strome scores a hat trick tonight

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
while u arent wrong about last night and the positive impact it would have on the team going forward, i am not taking ANY positives until we either win a game or strome scores a hat trick tonight

LOL. Strome is not going to play tonight.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
No, but I highly doubt it. He probably hasent even flown to CA yet. Ya never know though I guess. Desperate times.

although it "wouldn't be fair to him" the team is desperate for a spark offensively and I doubt they want to take the risk he cools off from his hot streak by press boxing him.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
although it "wouldn't be fair to him" the team is desperate for a spark offensively and I doubt they want to take the risk he cools off from his hot streak by press boxing him.

Look no further than the production of every line outside of the 1st. I don't see how you don't play Strome as soon as you possibly can.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
He's been much better over the course of our losing streak, so it isn't just one game. Of course, I second the "let's wait until we win a game before we start stroking each other over winning faceoffs" mentality.

My apologies in advance for the vulgarity.

Haha - Sorry PW, and I like your change. ;) (I added a space for you.)

:),
Mitch

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's good to see JT stronger in the FO circle lately. While people may not realize this, he's finished 50%+ every full season and was 49.something% last year. It was surprising to see how badly he's been in the early season, but it seems like things are normalizing again for him. I expect him to be around the 50% mark by seasons end.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
It's good to see JT stronger in the FO circle lately. While people may not realize this, he's finished 50%+ every full season and was 49.something% last year. It was surprising to see how badly he's been in the early season, but it seems like things are normalizing again for him. I expect him to be around the 50% mark by seasons end.

His best numbers were in the season we had Konopka and the season right after it; hard to think it's simply a coincidence. I do think it's an area JT will improve at over time on his own, but it would be wonderful to get a dominant faceoff guy in here to share the load somewhere in the lineup (and teach our other young centers at the same time.)

:),
Mitch

scott99

May 13, 2005
Fornabaio tweeted that Strome was still with BPT this morning for their game but is not playing. Didn't say what time he was leaving.

Yeah, I think they have to wait until the waiver process is complete with Bouchard before they can officially call up someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad