Tavares: He has yet to Dominate, yet......

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
looks more like a 60 degree lob wedge. Dupuis has hands of stone, he costs Crosby a few assists each week. But I do love his hustle and tenacity on pucks, that whole line really!

I know Pens fans can't stand Bylsma, his line choices, and it's the same on a lot of boards (especially after losses)....but Sid gets largely underrated for how good he is because of his linemates as well. He's a one-man-show on that line just as much as Tavares is for the Islanders. I'm just glad Boyes and Moulson are gone, those two were unwatchable 5on5.

If you could combine Moulson's ability *with* the puck (ie. his shooting, his ability to get open, etc.) with Dupuis' play *without* the puck (ie. speed, forecheck, defensive play), you'd have a damn fine first line player. As it is, both players tend to annoy their fanbases because their shortcomings end up affecting their line (albeit in different ways).

I'll be honest, at this point I'd take Moulson's shortcomings as a player over Dupuis', for Crosby's line. This season, at least, Dupuis is literally dragging that line down with his hot potato approach to handling the puck. Especially since Kunitz does everything Dupuis does anyways, just with more skill.

I really wanted to see Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos in Sochi.

I'm not sure their playing style would work that well together. Tavares is more methodical, more cerebral, whereas Crosby's is basically a high speed up-tempo game. On the PP, they'd basically be piling on top of each other, as well, since they both like the right half-boards/right post area.

If Tavares is going to play wing, I think he'd actually look good with the Anaheim duo of Getzlaff/Perry. In Getzlaff, he'd have someone who can carry the puck and distribute, and in Perry he'd have someone who can bury the slot area chances he sets up.

For Crosby, I think a player like Duchene would work better, simply because both are more about speed and quick strike attacks. Or maybe Team Canada will decide to punish me further and invite both Kunitz and Dupuis to flank him. :sarcasm:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Tavares has been just fine. He's a different style of player compared with somebody like Crosby-who dictates nearly everything that happens when he's in the offensive zone all of the time (sometimes JT does-other times he doesn't). He's also not a coast-to-coast/overly flashy scorer all of the time either (although he can be).

The smaller things that JT does just don't register easily (especially on TV). He's the least of our concerns this season, and in the near future.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Crosby plays with Dupuis and Kunitz and they aren't big names and aren't offensively talented (Kunitz is pretty good but certainly not elite) but they complement Sid's game nicely.

If you are saying Kunitz isn't a solid 1st line wing I have to disagree. If you are saying he is, then I agree. It's hard to tell with you sometimes Red. :D

Dupuis is a useful plumber and has been since his days in Minnesota, but yeah, they could upgrade his spot without killing the bank.

Maybe adding the non-physical, non-plumber Vanek is the wrong direction for the top line? Maybe.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'll be honest, at this point I'd take Moulson's shortcomings as a player over Dupuis', for Crosby's line.
You can have both Syd. Tavares' best possible future linemate is in Anaheim (Perry), and I have no hope of him ever joining this club. So they are growing something in Lee which they hope will fill that hole one day. Who knows. Anything should be better than what we've had to endure in previous years with project wing after project wing. Oh look, good Okposo is here today... will he be here tomorrow? Same for Vanek. Maybe we keep him, miss the playoffs anyway, then he walks to Minn for nothing back. Sucks to be an Islander fan. It seems like SSDD every year.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Currently tied for 1st in the NHL in points. Has he had a game with more than 2 points this season? He's putting up points like he's on cruise control. If he can finally get on a roll and have some big games, he could challenge for the scoring title.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Currently tied for 1st in the NHL in points. Has he had a game with more than 2 points this season? He's putting up points like he's on cruise control. If he can finally get on a roll and have some big games, he could challenge for the scoring title.

He has the same numbers as Crosby, 9 goals 16 assists. Crosby played 1 less game, but still.

Tavares has at least 1 point in 18 out of 21 games, which is impressive.

startainfection*

he hasn't takn over a game, which is true, he has been almost shut down, but he is still putting up points, tavares is developing into a player that will be shut down from making the right defensive plays but when he is off his game he will still be producing very well by any other players margin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->