Proposal: Tavares for Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Please. Marner made him look foolish in the video I posted. Just horrible. Karlsson is an elite goalscorer who is a defenseman. Defensively he is a bit porous against quick forwards.
oh okay. I tend to watch games rather than highlight reels, but whatever works for you

I get it when he was a Sen, as I liked to unfairly criticize him too, but now there's no reason to not appreciate a talent like that. he's really really impressive

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
oh okay. I tend to watch games rather than highlight reels, but whatever works for you

I get it when he was a Sen, as I liked to unfairly criticize him too, but now there's no reason to not appreciate a talent like that. he's really really impressive
As a scorer for sure. I don't think he is elite defensively though. Even his QoC is curiously low...as if he doesn't anchor the tough defensive assignment like others like Doughty do.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
As a scorer for sure. I don't think he is elite defensively though. Even his QoC is curiously low...as if he doesn't anchor the tough defensive assignment like others like Doughty do.
His qoc has been higher percentile than his qot each of the last two seasons and in 16-17 it was 84th percentile

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Imagine if Toronto went after Karlsson instead of Tavares how much better they would be? Instead go after a unneeded center and overpay.

Could have been legit contender for years with Karlsson, Dubas made a mistake.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
That's nice and all but I'm talking about the Karlsson I seen last year. Dude mailed it seemed like every time I watched him play, he was a fry cry from peak Karlsson. Still was probably better than Tavares at their respective positions, but all this ainec **** you're trying to sell I'm not buying (last year)

Peak Karlsson I'd agree.
Lol Karlsson is a better producer than Tavares as a freaking dman, he is so much better it is unreal

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Karlsson was leading the league in blocked shots in 2016/17 til he hurt his ankle with 7 games to go in season, then played about 2 of those games to clinch. Ended season second in blocked shots for all players. Sounds great both ends of the ice, irony blocked shot, broke is foot and tendons.
Karlsson on a bad year, still led all Defensemen in Points/games played
He says he is now healthy again.
NHL.com - Stats

Last edited:

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Imagine if Toronto went after Karlsson instead of Tavares how much better they would be? Instead go after a unneeded center and overpay.

Still are a legit contender for years. I don't think Karlsson is the D Toronto needs and have no problem going with Tavares for the next 7 seasons as our #2 centre. People grossly undervalue Toronto's defense (it's mediocre, not terrible). You can win the cup with that and strength down the middle. Anyway, not to turn this into a pissing match. Toronto and San Jose both acquired great talents this off-season. Depending on Karlsson's next contract he may be more valuable than Tavares, but I won't support the notion he has more value until I see where the contract ends up.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Check this out. In this one game, Pastrnak was held pointless by Toronto.

By this exact same logic, Toronto owned Pastrnak; right? Cause he looked bad in one game?

Seriously, what stupid logic. Just terrible. You seriously mean to tell me that you’re biased against a player because in 8 games against your team, he scored 11 points and was a +3? How can you even convince yourself of a conclusion so absurd?

This whole God Dam site absolutely crucified Jake Gardiner....for 1 bad game.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This whole God Dam site absolutely crucified Jake Gardiner....for 1 bad game.

And do you think they were right in doing so?

Also, what was his performance in the rest of the series? I’m guessing if he had 2 goals, 9 assists, and a +3 like Karlsson in his 8 games against the Leafs over the past two seasons, he would have received a lot less blame.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I can't think of anywhere else in the world that values draft picks and defencemen more than HF boards.

I mean Karlsson is an excellent player, but he was just traded for a typical trade deadline rental haul and now he is worth Austin Mathews.

The return for Karlsson shows his value. Every team around the league would have been able to make an offer.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I can't think of anywhere else in the world that values draft picks and defencemen more than HF boards.

I mean Karlsson is an excellent player, but he was just traded for a typical trade deadline rental haul and now he is worth Austin Mathews.

The return for Karlsson shows his value. Every team around the league would have been able to make an offer.

Except that’s not even close to true. Karlsson had an NTC and Dorion refused to trade him to the East.

An Erik Karlsson who is signed to a reasonable contract (think approximately what Doughty got, plus a little) is worth as much as any non-McDavid asset in the league.

Reactions: CrypTic

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Except that’s not even close to true. Karlsson had an NTC and Dorion refused to trade him to the East.
Teams have been handcuffed many times in the past with no trade clauses and still managed to get somewhat of a good return. Not top whack but still pretty good. Im just questioning these posters, one in particular, who says that he is now worth Mathews.

An Erik Karlsson who is signed to a reasonable contract (think approximately what Doughty got, plus a little) is worth as much as any non-McDavid asset in the league

I don't disagree, but its going to be challenging getting him to sign for anything other than top 5 money. Maybe this is what hampered the trade value.

He'll want what JT just got, and there is absolutely no reason to think he won't get it.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

JT came to us and we got him for nothing but money. For as little as SJ gave up, they still gave up to get EK. Highly probable that Dorion was not trading EK within the conference, yet alone to a division rival anyways, so it's a moot point.

If you don't think we'll be a legit contender for years with JT, then this conversation is done.

Reactions: Confucius

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd pass. Tavares definitely fills the bigger hole for us, but in a vacuum, Karlsson is clearly better. We need the best talent we can possibly get. The best d-man (arguably) in the world is hard to beat. Honestly, there's few forwards I'd trade him for and Tavares isn't one.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You just traded Rudolf Balcers, Dylan Demelo, Josh Norris, Chris Tierny and junk picks for Erik Karlsson and now it would "need to be Karlsson for Matthews?"
Yep. Just because we stole Karlsson doesn't degrade his value to us or the rest of the league. If you're not offering up Matthews, we aren't listening at all on Karlsson.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
youll never get a young star for a star that's 8 years older. NeverI lol
Cool, we'll keep the best d-man in the world.

Calling them both stars is kind of disingenuous. It's like calling both Trump and the President of Nauru both powerful world leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->