Tavares Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The difference is he actually said the reported number San Jose was willing to pay Tavares, where as with Clarkson no one knew how much more Edmonton was willing to pay him than Toronto.
there's no difference , whether they come out with a number or not the fact is they all say they were offered more , or the GM says it or the team leaks it too there media people to create the rumor

it means absolutely nothing because as i already said , it still comes down to how the player play vs his cap hit

for example , lets say the Oilers did come out and say they offered Clarkson more , would that make his cap hit any better for the performance he had with us ?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
there's no difference , whether they come out with a number or not the fact is they all say they were offered more , or the GM says it or the team leaks it too there media people to create the rumor

it means absolutely nothing because as i already said , it still comes down to how the player play vs his cap hit

for example , lets say the Oilers did come out and say they offered Clarkson more , would that make his cap hit any better for the performance he had with us ?
Obviously it wouldn't because Clarkson was a horrible signing and something a lot of Leafs fans said was a mistake the moment they signed him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think one thing that could help Tavares when he's slumping is just take a page from Zach Hyman. Just get a little rambunctious on the forecheck and don't overhandle the puck when things aren't going well. The stationary puckhandling really doesn't play to his strengths but highlights his lack of separation foot speed. Gets him into trouble.

Reactions: ER89

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Hometown boy, 1st overall draft pick and NHL star signs with the Leafs in biggest UFA signing in league history.

He sets personal records in goals and points while dominating flow of play.

Guy puts up 18 goals in the first 42 games of this season -- "only" a 35 goal pace, I concede -- but still is a PPG player while being atop league wide even-strength shot attempt differentials.

No. I'm not going to do it. If you criticize him, f*** off and go be a fan of some other team. You'll never love the Leafs. You've never loved the Leafs.

Good riddance.

DhCQhu-UcAEBCZI.jpeg

We don't need you. We've got this kid.

Attachments

• DhCQhu-UcAEBCZI.jpeg
    DhCQhu-UcAEBCZI.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 0

Moonman

Jul 3, 2015
Hometown boy, 1st overall draft pick and NHL star signs with the Leafs in biggest UFA signing in league history.

Guy puts up 18 goals in the first 42 games of this season -- "only" a 35 goal pace, I concede -- but still is a PPG player while being atop league wide even-strength shot attempt differentials.

No. I'm not going to do it. If you criticize him, **** off and go be a fan of some other team. You'll never love the Leafs. You've never loved the Leafs.

Good riddance.

View attachment 311347

blind loyalty isn't my thing. Guy looks really sluggish both physically and mentally.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

No. I'm not going to do it. If you criticize him, **** off and go be a fan of some other team. You'll never love the Leafs. You've never loved the Leafs.

Good riddance.

View attachment 311347

The Tavares storyline is top notch but we also need the on ice product to match. And captaining the team to a DNQ playoffs would be a disaster.
"Only 35 goals" sounds funny, but when you make the sixth highest salary in the game, the bar is high. So Tavares has his work cut out for him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Good riddance.

View attachment 311347

Part of the reason Tavares is off his pace compared to last year is because he missed those games when his finger got injured and that's something I won't hold against him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Tavares storyline is top notch but we also need the on ice product to match. And captaining the team to a DNQ playoffs would be a disaster.
"Only 35 goals" sounds funny, but when you make the sixth highest salary in the game, the bar is high. So Tavares has his work cut out for him.
Obviously none of us want to see the Leafs miss the playoffs. However considering that Tavares scored 47 goals in his first season in Toronto with all those expectations did anyone expect him to get as many goals this year? Maybe they expected at least 40 goals, however did you think he might get 50 goals or more?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Obviously none of us want to see the Leafs miss the playoffs. However considering that Tavares scored 47 goals in his first season in Toronto with all those expectations did anyone expect him to get as many goals this year? Maybe they expected at least 40 goals, however did you think he might get 50 goals or more?

It's weird, because we all know 47 goals was an outlier for Tavares last year, but at $11 million per season, he kind of has to hit ridiculous numbers.

You don't fork over $11 million a year to have realistic expectations. Artemi Panarin is a good comparison. Superstar forward in his late 20s who signs with a young team in the city he wants to be in...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's weird, because we all know 47 goals was an outlier for Tavares last year, but at $11 million per season, he kind of has to hit ridiculous numbers.

You don't fork over $11 million a year to have realistic expectations. Artemi Panarin is a good comparison. Superstar forward in his late 20s who signs with a young team in the city he wants to be in...
Besides Tavares putting up ridiculous numbers which would help, I think he was also signed for his leadership and experience. I'm sure that was one reason he was named the captain.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Besides Tavares putting up ridiculous numbers which would help, I think he was also signed for his leadership and experience. I'm sure that was one reason he was named the captain.

Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with the leadership he's displayed... not that the leadership of the team rests solely on his shoulders, but it just feels like the team lacks leadership in its struggles. For me he seems like he would be a great A, in support of a Chara or something like that.

The other thing is Tavares doesn't actually have a lot of winning experience. If we want to look at things objectively, he hasn't accomplished a lot. I remember I used to always choose Toews vs Tavares in those main board debates. People would point to what a great individual Tavares is but the other guy did all the winning.

Reactions: hudster

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with the leadership he's displayed... not that the leadership of the team rests solely on his shoulders, but it just feels like the team lacks leadership in its struggles. For me he seems like he would be a great A, in support of a Chara or something like that.

The other thing is Tavares doesn't actually have a lot of winning experience. If we want to look at things objectively, he hasn't accomplished a lot. I remember I used to always choose Toews vs Tavares in those main board debates. People would point to what a great individual Tavares is but the other guy did all the winning.
Here was Tavares on the night Toronto won in Sheldon Keefe's coaching debut and in my opinion this screams leadership.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Look at Tavares' supporting cast all those years on the Isle though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
yup , poor Johnny is always being let down by his teammates all the way back to jr

all people have to do is look how the Islanders fell to pieces once he left to realize he brutal those teams were
Yes the Islanders might have won a playoff round last season and Tavares did not. However if you look at it like this the Islanders as a team won only 1 more playoff game than Toronto did, since they got swept 4-0 by Carolina in the 2nd round.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes the Islanders might have won a playoff round last season and Tavares did not. However if you look at it like this the Islanders as a team won only 1 more playoff game than Toronto did, since they got swept 4-0 by Carolina in the 2nd round.
if it makes you feel better to look at it that way then have at er but just keep it here in our forum and not on the main forum

also the point wasn't which team did better last year but why didn't the Islanders fall to pieces considering all anyone heard for his decade there was that poor Johnny's teammates were all crap and were holding him back

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
if it makes you feel better to look at it that way then have at er but just keep it here in our forum and not on the main forum

also the point wasn't which team did better last year but why didn't the Islanders fall to pieces considering all anyone heard for his decade there was that poor Johnny's teammates were all crap and were holding him back
Believe me that's something I would never post on the main boards.

As to why the Islanders did better maybe it was the coaching of Barry Trotz.

I would also like to mention despite their hot start this season and that 15 game point streak they had until the middle of November, today they are 3rd in the Metropolitan only 1 point up on Carolina and Columbus and 2 points up on Philadelphia.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

And they did so with a significantly lower payroll.

Anybody who is surprised that JT is slumping has simply not followed his career season by season. As they say at some point you are what the back of your card says you are and in that JT is pretty dam good. 11 million a year good? Questionable at best. But the only complaint there should only be if that 11 mil is what is keeping the Leafs from getting what they need which is defense.

Going forward that 11 million along with the no trade could become an anchor. But that's for another day.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And they did so with a significantly lower payroll.

Anybody who is surprised that JT is slumping has simply not followed his career season by season. As they say at some point you are what the back of your card says you are and in that JT is pretty dam good. 11 million a year good? Questionable at best. But the only complaint there should only be if that 11 mil is what is keeping the Leafs from getting what they need which is defense.

Going forward that 11 million along with the no trade could become an anchor. But that's for another day.
Like I have said before one reason for Tavares being down compared to last year was those games he missed when his finger was injured.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tavares literally just had one of the best seasons a Leafs centre has had in a couple decades and folks are acting like hes a burden on the team... i just dont get it.

A couple bad games doesnt suddenly erase who he is as a player

Last edited:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
My requirements for Tavares:

- PPG producer
- Leads team
- Handles other teams top line
- Steps up in big moments

Does he meet those? I think he ticks those boxes. Even in a down season with injuries

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad