Tavares and Matthews on loaded power play line

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
If he makes the team, I wouldn't mind them trying two D on the second unit, with Oz up top. He's got that cannon of a shot, having won the KHL hardest shot comp.

I think Zaitsev would be valuable on the second unit too. People forget his shot was a plus attribute coming over that just hasn't been utilized. Could help him be more confident in his game too.

Marleau
Zaitsev-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Kadri was the teams PP goals leader last season and probably up there 2 years ago. He shouldn't be bumped off the first unit. I think Nylander or Marleau can take the faceoff.

Reactions: wmark

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
I assume that this means the top unit wuould be getting 3+ minutes per game on the PP as well.

it better.

Not a chance the first unit gets 3 minutes a game.

With the rate those 5 will be scoring at, it'll be more like 4 PP goals in 1:20 of PP time.

Reactions: TheBigThree

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Do we even need a PP2?

I can see PP1 scoring way too often during powerplays, negating the chance for PP2 to even step foot on the ice :D

Reactions: TheBigThree

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Kadri was the teams PP goals leader last season and probably up there 2 years ago. He shouldn't be bumped off the first unit. I think Nylander or Marleau can take the faceoff.
Yea and Kadri is perfect in the center as a bumper. Honestly, the center of the ice, high slot is the last place I want Willy. Giving him the right side half boards on PP2 is just a better utilization of his talents

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
PP1

- - - - - - - Tavares - - - - - - -
Matthews - Kadri - Marner
- - - - - - - - Rielly - - - - - - - -

PP2

- - - - - - - Kapanen - - - - - - -
Johnsson - Marleau - Nylander
- - - - - - - Gardiner - - - - - - -​

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why Tavares didn't meet with Canadiens: 'I can only play for one team' - Sportsnet.ca

That Toronto already had a young bona fide No. 1 pivot in Auston Matthews helped Tavares’ decision. He’s a firm believer that steel sharpens steel. On Montreal, he would’ve been on an island.
“Just being around him, getting to know him as a person too, you can see the presence he has and the impact he has on and off the ice,” Tavares said.
“He’s going to make me a better player.
“Every day, we go against each other in practice and you see what makes him successful. You pick up certain habits he does. When you have guys at the level and you get to go against him in practice, it’s just going to make you better.”

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, I'm all for Dubas getting a raise, and a big one. He's cloned Marner, and going to put both of them on the powerplay.

Paul Hendrick

@HennyTweets
Following Following @HennyTweets
More
Power play units:
Tavares
Marner
Matthews
Marner
Rielly
—————-
Marleau
Leivo
Johnsson
Ennis
Gardiner
#tmltalk

11:15 AM - 25 Sep 2018

Reactions: BigBlu

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
should be like this,

pp1
matthews tavares kadri
rielly marner

pp2
matthews tavares marleau
gardiner nylander

lindholm or kadri with hyman and brown first shift after PP when opponent sends out top lines

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
It would be more effective with Kadri out there instead of Nylander.
Agreed, you need the player in the high slot being a guy who's ok with not having the puck for the whole two minutes. Nylander would be wasted there (although he clearly has the shot to be deadly if he finds some space), he needs the puck on his stick to make everyone around him better, like Marner on the first unit.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Why Tavares didn't meet with Canadiens: 'I can only play for one team' - Sportsnet.ca

That Toronto already had a young bona fide No. 1 pivot in Auston Matthews helped Tavares’ decision. He’s a firm believer that steel sharpens steel. On Montreal, he would’ve been on an island.
“Just being around him, getting to know him as a person too, you can see the presence he has and the impact he has on and off the ice,” Tavares said.
“He’s going to make me a better player.
“Every day, we go against each other in practice and you see what makes him successful. You pick up certain habits he does. When you have guys at the level and you get to go against him in practice, it’s just going to make you better.”

Tavares didn't meet with the Habs because their team is a ****show.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
PP1
Matthews. Kadri. Tavares
Rielly. - Marner

PP2
Marleau. Johnsson. Nylander
Gardiner. - Leivo

They really should swap Nylander and Kadri, having our three best centers on isn’t great for the shift after the power play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad