Tavares and Matthews on loaded power play line

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
This just isn't true. Tavares didn't play this spot in the latter years of being with the Islanders but he's certainly played this role more than a few years overall with the Islanders. Also watch his goal highlights too, he scores so much from that area.

So he takes JVRs former spot? Is he Pavelski-good at tipping in shots? Don't mind him upfront, but you take a lot of abuse and tend to get hit with the puck a helluva lot more which isn't the safest place with one of our best players.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
So he takes JVRs former spot? Is he Pavelski-good at tipping in shots? Don't mind him upfront, but you take a lot of abuse and tend to get hit with the puck a helluva lot more which isn't the safest place with one of our best players.

Tavares is more talented in tight than JvR by a lot.

Net front isn't primarily about tipping shots and screening the goalie necessarily.

Don't forget it'll also be Tavares who is the guy primarily controlling the puck/play from behind the net as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

He's pretty f***ing good at tipping pucks.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Finally. Although it's a shame that all three natural centers who are on the unit are left shot. If there was a righty could win strong side draws more. Regardless I'm pumped.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I'd prefer to see Nylander over Kadri, partly to have another right shot out there and partly so we don't have three centres on the ice simultaneously, but it's hard to be too upset with that unit, lord have mercy

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Any reason to get Matthews and Marner on the ice together would be a treat! Babs is aware of the fans wanting to see this,but is too stubborn to do it! Even when losing ,he refuses to 'load up'.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

So I think this kind of gives us a glimpse of what the 2nd PP unit could end up being. (Besides Matthews being there)

Johnsson does end up in the middle with Marleau in front and Nylander replacing Bracco imo. Whoever replaces Matthews on that side is still a mystery though.

Reactions: Kelly

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I assume that this means the top unit wuould be getting 3+ minutes per game on the PP as well.

it better.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Man we sure aren't going to miss JVR and Bozie on the PP, good lord what a lineup.
Listened to an analytics podcast that talked about Bozie. It was astounding. It said that situationally, if an average player was deployed in the fovourable sheltering that Bozie had, the stats showed that the person would have a larger impact on the game than Connor McDavid. Nearly fell off my chair.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If he makes the team, I wouldn't mind them trying two D on the second unit, with Oz up top. He's got that cannon of a shot, having won the KHL hardest shot comp.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
This just isn't true. Tavares didn't play this spot in the latter years of being with the Islanders but he's certainly played this role more than a few years overall with the Islanders. Also watch his goal highlights too, he scores so much from that area.

ha I was going to post the same. I'm surely not the only person who watched 50000 highlight videos of him this summer and saw how many goals he scored in tight.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I think loading up is the thing to do. The great teams all load up their PPs. Malkin and Crosby play on the PP together. Makes it so hard to defend.

Matthews was asked yesterday what he thought about it, and of course the stupid reporter.. "Do you think having too many skilled guys on the PP will be counter productive"

Mathews just says.. "Pittsburgh seemed to do alright, Washington. All top teams load up a PP line"

In other word... "Your question is f***ing Pejorative Slured"

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Some teams did a good job taking away Marners space... But with Matthews on the other wall....whatchagonnado?!?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Gards on the 1st pp? I have to decide between him or klefbom or pulock for last keeper D

I figured leafs 5v5 scoring will be huge but 1st pp was a big factor .

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This'll be fun to watch.

Wonder how JT will do as the net front presence.

Good luck with teams trying to defend both Marner and Matthews on the half wall with JT there for down low support.

That leaves the second unit as:

...............Gardiner
Nylander ...Johnson/Brown/Leivo.... Kappy
........Marleau........

?

Obviously a bit of a drop off on the second unit (as currently projected), but with the first unit getting the lion's share of PP minutes, I think it makes sense to load it up.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Matthews was asked yesterday what he thought about it, and of course the stupid reporter.. "Do you think having too many skilled guys on the PP will be counter productive"

Mathews just says.. "Pittsburgh seemed to do alright, Washington. All top teams load up a PP line"

In other word... "Your question is ****ing ******ed"

Yup. On special teams, there is a much greater disparity in ice time between the first and second units. No need to spread the wealth.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Johnsson (Kadri position) - Marleau (Tavares position) - Kapanen (Matthews position)
Gardiner (Rielly position)- Nylander (Marner position)

Not bad.

Especially if the opposing teams PK gets caught out for a bit while defending JT and friends!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Only thing missing would be a plus shot from the point. Other than that, the powerplay is loaded to the tatas.

Not that Babcock won't go back to more balanced units for a while if things go dry. but in principle, yeah, Matthews-Marner-Tavares have to get theirs. you want your top guys on the A unit.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
ha I was going to post the same. I'm surely not the only person who watched 50000 highlight videos of him this summer and saw how many goals he scored in tight.
You certainly weren't. I watched so many highlights of Tavares the last week until free agency.

Some teams did a good job taking away Marners space... But with Matthews on the other wall....whatchagonnado?!?

Boston was putting the book out on how to shut Marner down in the playoffs. Luckily Marner adapted, but you noticed they were really keying in on that right side on the PP where Marner does his prime work.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I’m curious if this is under the assumption that Nylander isn’t signed? Seems like we’d be setting ourselves up for problems by having all three of our top centremen playing on one unit. Replace Kadri with Willy and I’d be more comfortable.
Kadri is not getting moved off that top PP. He is excellent in that slot bumper role and leads the league in PP Goals/60 minutes over the last two seasons. And with Matthews taking Bozak's slot, Kadri will have even more chances to score off of rebounds as Matthews will be shooting a lot.

I've seen far too many people say replace Kadri with Nylander but with the way the PP is set up Kadri is much better suited for that slot role than Nylander is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad