Tavares and Matthews on loaded power play line

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
As for the positioning, Rielly will patrol the top of the umbrella, flanked by Marner to his right and Matthews to his left, according to Masters. Kadri will man the middle while Tavares serves as the net-front presence - a role he told Babcock he wanted to play during the free-agency recruitment process.

simon_cowell_gif_youre_awesome_the_x_factor_happy_sigh.gif

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’m curious if this is under the assumption that Nylander isn’t signed? Seems like we’d be setting ourselves up for problems by having all three of our top centremen playing on one unit. Replace Kadri with Willy and I’d be more comfortable.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As for the positioning, Rielly will patrol the top of the umbrella, flanked by Marner to his right and Matthews to his left, according to Masters. Kadri will man the middle while Tavares serves as the net-front presence - a role he told Babcock he wanted to play during the free-agency recruitment process.

simon_cowell_gif_youre_awesome_the_x_factor_happy_sigh.gif

So they are breaking Matthews-Nylander on PP eh....

2nd PP unit
Nylander-Marleau-Leivo/Kappy/Brown-Johnsson-Gardiner
???

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I’m curious if this is under the assumption that Nylander isn’t signed? Seems like we’d be setting ourselves up for problems by having all three of our top centremen playing on one unit. Replace Kadri with Willy and I’d be more comfortable.

There is so much contradiction; in your post. You are saying that this PP seems to be under the assumption that Willy won't be sign;

but then you say replace Kadri with Willy?

:huh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even though the last 2 years the Leafs power play finished #2 overall with Matthews and Tavares on the same line when they are playing 5v4 or 5v3, they got a great chance to finish at #1 overall.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

This is a message to Nylander.
The team is making plans assuming that he won't be part of the picture and they're just fine that way.
There is literally no reason why Nylander wouldn't be a major part of the top power play unit on just about every team in the league - Toronto included.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Tavares doesn't have a lot of experience filling the net-front spot

This just isn't true. Tavares didn't play this spot in the latter years of being with the Islanders but he's certainly played this role more than a few years overall with the Islanders. Also watch his goal highlights too, he scores so much from that area.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This'll be fun to watch.

Wonder how JT will do as the net front presence.

Good luck with teams trying to defend both Marner and Matthews on the half wall with JT there for down low support.

That leaves the second unit as:

...............Gardiner
Nylander ...Johnson/Brown/Leivo.... Kappy
........Marleau........

?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There is so much contradiction; in your post. You are saying that this PP seems to be under the assumption that Willy won't be sign;

but then you say replace Kadri with Willy?

:huh:

Yeah I can see how. I’ll elaborate. WHEN Nylander re-signs (I’m pretty sure he will, but I’ll admit I’m nervous/annoyed at this whole process) I’d put him in Kadri’s spot in the centre of the ice.

In a world where Nylander decides to f*** off from the team or Babs sticks with this lineup, I still see issues. Either they play the whole two minutes and don’t score, then they get off the ice and our fourth line scrub C is forced to go out there and likely gets scored on, OR the first unit only plays a minute, and that means our second group would be grossly lacking firepower.

Reactions: bikemike66

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah I can see how. I’ll elaborate. WHEN Nylander re-signs (I’m pretty sure he will, but I’ll admit I’m nervous/annoyed at this whole process) I’d put him in Kadri’s spot in the centre of the ice.

In a world where Nylander decides to **** off from the team or Babs sticks with this lineup, I still see issues. Either they play the whole two minutes and don’t score, then they get off the ice and our fourth line scrub C is forced to go out there and likely gets scored on, OR the first unit only plays a minute, and that means our second group would be grossly lacking firepower.

I am just happy that there won't be a USELESS player wearing #42 on the 1PP unit

:yo:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think loading up is the thing to do. The great teams all load up their PPs. Malkin and Crosby play on the PP together. Makes it so hard to defend.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This'll be fun to watch.

Wonder how JT will do as the net front presence.

Good luck with teams trying to defend both Marner and Matthews on the half wall with JT there for down low support.

That leaves the second unit as:

...............Gardiner
Nylander ...Johnson/Brown/Leivo.... Kappy
........Marleau........

?
I remember Johnsson being in the middle when Kadri was out. Might be good to assume he'll take his spot on the 2nd unit.

Marleau
Leivo-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Assuming Leivo makes the team.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017

I'd consider moving Kadri to unit 2 with Nylander and actually using Rielly AND Gardiner on the top unit, Dermott or Zaitsev on the 2nd unit. But I know we're pretty religious about the 4 forward PP Unit.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Johnsson (Kadri position) - Marleau (Tavares position) - Kapanen (Matthews position)
Gardiner (Rielly position)- Nylander (Marner position)

Not bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->