Helene St. James Tatar the latest Detroit castoff to disappoint

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Wait, a player that is traded on a team that is built on extreme chemistry is having a hard time? In other news water is wet. HSJ if you are reading this don't scoop me on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There’s probably no team that would like to undo a recent trade with the Wings more than the New York Rangers. At the 2017 trade deadline, as defenseman Brendan Smith neared unrestricted free agency, the Wings traded him for a 2017 third-round pick and a 2018 second-round pick (the 2018 pick originally was Ottawa’s, so it will be the second pick in the second round because the Senators finished 30th in the standings this season).

The Rangers re-signed Smith for four years and $17.4 million on June 29

But by Feb. 8, Smith had played his way onto waivers — which he cleared — and onto the roster of the Rangers’ AHL affiliate in Hartford. Shortly after joining the Wolf Pack, Smith broke his hand in a fight with a AHL teammate during a practice.

That is really something. Like Uwe Krupp signing, but here they also did sent assets to us.

Reactions: Sentinel

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's entirely too early to declare a "winner" for this trade. Detroit will be lucky if the player they draft with the pick ends up becoming a consistent 20 goal scorer in the NHL.

The Golden Knights gave up a first second and third for a guy theyre healthy scratching in the playoffs. Thats ridiculously disappointing.

I wonder if you would say its too early if the wings were first in division and traded that much for a guy that was a healthy scratch. The Quincey trade had everyone on here going insane but the return for him wasnt nearly as big

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Definitely looks like an awful trade for Vegas at the moment, but right now they're on top of the world, still seeing how far this year can take them. For their sake, hopefully this summer can bring Tatar a new start and a better regular season in 2018-19.

But yeah, those picks look like highway robbery, at least for now.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Article's pretty light on actual details, which I suppose isn't surprising when it seems like it's just written to call attention to something the team has done OK at.

Is it just that Tatar's style of play doesn't mesh with Vegas? Is it an extension/amplification of the issues he had in Detroit (rush up the ice with the puck, then either get stripped, pushed off it, or forced into a badly errant pass 90% of the time)?

I think Claypool's 100% right that it's unlikely we turn any of those draft picks into another player of Tatar's caliber, but it's hard to see where trading a guy who was never going to contribute to this team when it's ready to win again for parts that could is anything but a win.

Reactions: newfy

chris05

May 23, 2013
RELATIVITY......I still think Kenny was under paying him (TT). I am sure Kenny can bring him back like he did Quincey. PP numbers are for the p***yes that can't perform playing even strength hockey. The wings are loaded with over rated over hyped and not very gifted hockey players. The ability to compete at a high level against stiff competition is non existent. Vegas Knights not dressing Tatar Flyers not dressing Mrazek is a good indicator for hockey town fans to spend their hard earned cash on something else than a wings hockey game watching hot garbage trying to compete.

Reactions: David D

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
RELATIVITY......I still think Kenny was under paying him (TT). I am sure Kenny can bring him back like he did Quincey. PP numbers are for the *****es that can't perform playing even strength hockey. The wings are loaded with over rated over hyped and not very gifted hockey players. The ability to compete at a high level against stiff competition is non existent. Vegas Knights not dressing Tatar Flyers not dressing Mrazek is a good indicator for hockey town fans to spend their hard earned cash on something else than a wings hockey game watching hot garbage trying to compete.

What Vegas and Philly and any other team does with the castoffs from Detroit should not have even the smallest impact of how a Wings fan decides to spend their time or money. Why are you even here if the only input you have is "everything and everyone with the team sucks. there's nothing positive about this organization or its future. it's pointless to have any sort of investment or give-a-damn about this organization"?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
RELATIVITY......I still think Kenny was under paying him (TT). I am sure Kenny can bring him back like he did Quincey. PP numbers are for the *****es that can't perform playing even strength hockey. The wings are loaded with over rated over hyped and not very gifted hockey players. The ability to compete at a high level against stiff competition is non existent. Vegas Knights not dressing Tatar Flyers not dressing Mrazek is a good indicator for hockey town fans to spend their hard earned cash on something else than a wings hockey game watching hot garbage trying to compete.

Cool story.

Ability to compete at a high level against stiff competition is all this team has. They play good teams, they bring their A game in the regular season and they can look like they belong on the same ice.

And no, the Wings trading away players and those players failing in their new locale has nothing to do with the Red Wings.

E: Hell, your complaining doesn't even make sense. Tatar had 8 PP goals this year with Detroit. Guess how many ES goals. 8.

16-17, 25 goals, 5 PP, 20 ES
15-16, 21 goals, 7 PP, 14 ES
14-15, 29 goals, 9 PP, 20 ES
13-14 19 goals, 2 PP, 17 ES

But yeah, Tatar only scores PP goals. He's just a ***** that only made hay with the extra man. Get the hell out of here, man. Do something besides unabashedly hammering the Wings for nonsensical "flaws". There is plenty of things wrong with how this organization is at the moment that you don't have to make up stuff.

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
even if tatar scores 50 pts a season and we draft nothing valuable, it was a good trade for us
exactly. tatar wasn't going to help the wings win a cup at this point given the state of the wings. might as well get draft picks for him and hope they hit a home run with at least one of the picks for the rebuild

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, I don't think the team really needs HSJ to "reinforce" the trade. Regardless of what Tatar does or doesn't do, it was a smart trade for the Red Wings. They got a big return for a player with a big cap hit and NTC that starts next season, who was either struggling or trending down.

I also agree that it's been a disappointment so far for LV. If 5-10 years ago Holland traded away a 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the deadline for a termed contract that sat in the Cleary Cabana for the playoffs, he'd have been absolutely roasted in here and we'd likely still be hearing about it to this day.

Reactions: kliq

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
She is 100% right. I mean all these "great red wing players" that so many people feel we have, get traded. And still struggle.

But it goes to show one thing. I hate holland, no denying it. We are where we are because of his shit decisions. BUT these last two trade deadlines he committed highway robbery with the Smith, that at and mrazek deals. Keep in mind I'm also a big Smith and tatar fan. But they are what they are, and now they are way overpaid for what they are.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
"castoff" seems like a bit of an overly dramatic word choice here,the guy was moved for a good return not for the sake of getting rid of him

She is 100% right. I mean all these "great red wing players" that so many people feel we have, get traded. And still struggle.

But it goes to show one thing. I hate holland, no denying it. We are where we are because of his **** decisions. BUT these last two trade deadlines he committed highway robbery with the Smith, that at and mrazek deals. Keep in mind I'm also a big Smith and tatar fan. But they are what they are, and now they are way overpaid for what they are.

he also failed to get anything at all in return for Green so lets not get too carried away

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Article's pretty light on actual details, which I suppose isn't surprising when it seems like it's just written to call attention to something the team has done OK at.

Is it just that Tatar's style of play doesn't mesh with Vegas? Is it an extension/amplification of the issues he had in Detroit (rush up the ice with the puck, then either get stripped, pushed off it, or forced into a badly errant pass 90% of the time)?

I think Claypool's 100% right that it's unlikely we turn any of those draft picks into another player of Tatar's caliber, but it's hard to see where trading a guy who was never going to contribute to this team when it's ready to win again for parts that could is anything but a win.

I think it's Vegas has done a lot of work with a team that pulled itself together and is more than the sum of its parts and Tatar is an addition after the fact on that. Like Tatar is probably a better hockey player than Erik Haula, but Haula fits their needs like a glove.

Reactions: njx9

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Tatar had a slow start in Detroit this season. So slow that I thought he might not make 20 goals or 40 points. I felt like he was the most disappointing Wing through about the first 15 games.

I think Vegas gambled (see what I did?) that a winning team would breath new life into his career. He's still a young guy; I might've made the same move. Given his slow start this season, I wasn't surprised to see him need time to adjust in Vegas, just like he needed time to get it going in Detroit at the start of the season. I am a bit surprised that the move to Vegas hasn't revived his production yet. However, I think it's still too early to write him off.

It was a bad season and a step back for him, but he still got 20 goals. I think you have to take into account that he's isn't a top five offensive option for Vegas like he was in Detroit. That team has a lot of guys who can produce and there's only so much ice time to distribute.

I can't say he's been a key factor in Vegas' playoff run, but they did pick up a 20-goal scorer who probably will rebound. That said, he probably wasn't worth what Vegas packaged for him to begin with. That's Vegas' fault, not his.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
"castoff" seems like a bit of an overly dramatic word choice here,the guy was moved for a good return not for the sake of getting rid of him

he also failed to get anything at all in return for Green so lets not get too carried away

Green had a poorly timed spinal injury and the biggest suitors for him either had little cap room without a major shakeup or traded for Ryan McDonagh who is about 3 times the defenseman Green is.

If Green were healthy or the injury was truly D2D, he would have been dealt. It was more serious than they thought.

Reactions: kliq

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

But it goes to show one thing. I hate holland, no denying it. We are where we are because of his **** decisions. BUT these last two trade deadlines he committed highway robbery with the Smith, that at and mrazek deals. Keep in mind I'm also a big Smith and tatar fan. But they are what they are, and now they are way overpaid for what they are.
I mean, Tatar's production has never been anything short of a bonafide top6 guy.

And if Tatar is not that good a player and we need to give credit to Holland for trading him, then we need to also blame him for drafting him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean, Tatar's production has never been anything short of a bonafide top6 guy.

And if Tatar is not that good a player and we need to give credit to Holland for trading him, then we need to also blame him for drafting him.

What about this year? Or are we only allowed to bag on Nyquist..?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad