Tatar so far

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He hasn't done well. I think he could be a good player for us but the cap hit and his inability to get traction here make me less enthusiastic about keeping him.

I don't think he's a bad player but he's making 5.3 million (more than Smith and Marchessault) so we may want to ship him off sooner than later and make better use of so much cap space.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Trade deadline deals are eventually graded by playoff performance. So here's hoping he gets hot in the first round. :D

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
He was a healthy scratch tonight, I read. What a horrible trade that was! Vegas gave up way too much, and have hurt their future potential for this guy. I don't get it...

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He was a healthy scratch tonight, I read. What a horrible trade that was! Vegas gave up way too much, and have hurt their future potential for this guy. I don't get it...
He's still got a few more years on the contract to make it work, and we still had three first round picks last draft, plus Hague at 34.

I'm not worried, he was thrown into a cruddy situation and couldn't develop chemistry real well getting blended onto different lines during the injuries.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He's still got a few more years on the contract to make it work, and we still had three first round picks last draft, plus Hague at 34.

I'm not worried, he was thrown into a cruddy situation and couldn't develop chemistry real well getting blended onto different lines during the injuries.

I wouldn't call it a cruddy situation. He's on a really good team that's willing to give him ice time and multiple chances and put him on lines with other talented players.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He's still used to dining at cafe Zetterberg, where everything comes on a silver platter.
This here's a buffet. Gotta go get it yourself.
It was datsyuk buffet for him. Maybe that explains drop off in his points last two years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Vegas is loaded with picks over the next few drafts. It was a good move to make, especially with all of the upcoming free agents. He’ll get acclimated and be better next year. If he brings anything this year, that’s just a bonus.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

McPhee was due for another miss tbh. Just about everything else he's touched has been gold, with exception of our wayward Russian signing.

Hard to fault him trying to supplement the roster with what he felt they lacked. Nobody bats a thousand in those moves and the trade deadline adds probably have a higher miss rate than the others tbh.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
The biggest thing I've noticed with Tatar is that he doesn't play at the same level of intensity of the rest of the team. He's clearly skilled and has great hands, but he hasn't gelled with the team mentality yet. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that he's coming from a team that seemingly mailed it in on a nightly basis and then comes here and doesn't ever get a chance to stick with any consistent lines long enough to develop a rapport.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The biggest thing I've noticed with Tatar is that he doesn't play at the same level of intensity of the rest of the team. He's clearly skilled and has great hands, but he hasn't gelled with the team mentality yet. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that he's coming from a team that seemingly mailed it in on a nightly basis and then comes here and doesn't ever get a chance to stick with any consistent lines long enough to develop a rapport.

He may have great hands, but we've yet to see evidence of that since he's arrived.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He wasn't here from the beginning. He wasn't an outcast from teams that had other plans, he was brought in to make the team better, a team that cobbled itself together from "rejects" (they weren't actually rejects, but they felt that way) and it's taken a while for him to get into the mindset.

I imagine he's going through the same thing Shipachyov went through, he's a desired entity in a team full of hard-working guys that other GMs thought were expendable, and that doesn't gel with the mindset.

I think we're all undervaluing the mindset a lot of these "expansion draft/lose-able" players have.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For the record, the mindset I referenced in the previous post is part of the reason I was happy we didn't get Erik Karlsson.

It's also the reason I hope we don't make a strong push for EK in this offseason.

I'm a little nervous over how the team dynamic will work once the season is over (after hoisting the cup or otherwise.) Once this team is just a team, and not the best group of rejects in the history of hockey, I'm nervous as to how this all comes together again.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
For the record, the mindset I referenced in the previous post is part of the reason I was happy we didn't get Erik Karlsson.

It's also the reason I hope we don't make a strong push for EK in this offseason.

I'm a little nervous over how the team dynamic will work once the season is over (after hoisting the cup or otherwise.) Once this team is just a team, and not the best group of rejects in the history of hockey, I'm nervous as to how this all comes together again.

It will be very interesting to see the roster moves during the off season. I'm of the mindset that Neal & Perron should both be resigned. Our draft picks from last year are still a couple of years away from competing for roster spots & over paying for free agents is always a crap shoot.

This team has chemistry & plays hard for one another. Whatever happens the rest of the way in these playoffs, that bond will only be cemented further if McPhee keeps the team intact.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I agree with the points made. Another aspect about the expansion draft that I remember a lot of players commenting on early in the season was how easy it was to become a whole team since they all came in together under the same circumstances. A few mentioned how getting traded to a team is a difficult adjustment off the ice as well as on because you have to learn the heirarchy of the locker room and any cliques that may exist. When these guys came in together, the veterans sort of created the environment, which is one of the reasons that GMGM put such an emphasis on character guys. I think that Tatar can be fine in the long run, but definitely think the decision to scratch him was the right one for the playoffs.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

If rumors about his relationship with Melnyk are close to true, he could be looking to give Melnyk a big FU when he moves to another team, and that could be just as good.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Assuming he doesn't pick it up in the playoffs, and hopefully he does, I still hold out hope that a proper camp will help him adjust until the goals come.

If rumors about his relationship with Melnyk are close to true, he could be looking to give Melnyk a big FU when he moves to another team, and that could be just as good.

Hague and Brannstrom are significantly better than they were at the deadline. Deal's off if they're considered small pieces to a trade.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

This is a one-year thing though. The band of brothers was going to lose a lot of members no matter what happened. We need to move on to what will get us to the next level in coming years and part of that is just having superstar talent who carries the team on its back. James Neal was that early this year, hoping that comes back again. There is just no substitute for that. Having four lines is helpful to not be dependent on it, but way too often you see it in the playoffs where everything is so close that a star player just rises above and makes sure his team gets the W. Crosby is glad to sit back and let others make it happen, but every now and then he comes out and sets the tone and makes it 100% clear he's going to be victorious that day.

EK did that so often last year in the playoffs. Its reasonably to ask if he can resume doing that with his health, but sure seems with a no-playoffs offseason to rest and recover he should be ready to take over again. If the Knights are so lucky as to have that on their side I don't know how you resist that. No one else but Neal or Fleury seems likely to do that and we at best have a couple years of that type of level skills left in either of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad