Tatar and Nyquist, are they really the answer?

HTT3*

They are the answer like Hudler and Filppula are the answer. Neither are game changes, just complimentary secondary scoring and depth players.

Aug 6, 2012
If you guys want a good coach other than Babcock then you'd have to deal with some boring trap hockey. That's the NHL these days.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let's get back to talking about Nyquist and Tatar. Not random NHL coaches or Jiri Hudler.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
I don't care what Jim Nill tells the Detroit News. He's saying Hossa because that's a name people recognize. And IMO, I'm getting kind of tired of the these stupid comparisons. "Pulkinnen is like Brett Hull."

Jurco's skating is his biggest issue. His second issue is work ethic. There have been questions about his work ethic.
If he can improve his skating and learn to compete consistently, he's going to be a good player.

But Hossa? There's no comparison to Hossa, one of the best two-way wingers to play over the last 10 years.

God how I wish Hossa was still on this team. Losing him because we offered him $1m less per season, so we could keep useless Franzen makes me so sick. I said it then, Hossa and Franzen are both streaky scorers, but Hossa actually makes differences in games he isn't scoring in. His presence, defensive game and work ethic make him elite. Franzen has none of those qualities.

RedWinged

Mar 20, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Do you guys think.. Tatar/Nyquist will be the next generation..

super-star duo?

Yzerman/Fedorov
Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Tatar/Nyquist??

Or do we have to hope for a free agent savior .. Perry, Getzalf etc..

Or perhaps, we might have someone down our prospect list.. that isn't on the radar yet..

Or did we just luck out with Datsyuk and Zetterberg to carry on after Yzerman and Federov. Likely, we won't have the same home grown superstars again, unless we go the Penguins route.. suck for Crosby and Malkin..

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
super-star duo?

Yzerman/Fedorov
Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Tatar/Nyquist??

Or perhaps, we might have someone down our prospect list.. that isn't on the radar yet..

Or did we just luck out with Datsyuk and Zetterberg to carry on after Yzerman and Federov. Likely, we won't have the same home grown superstars again, unless we go the Penguins route.. suck for Crosby and Malkin..

I'll go with option 3.

IMO we could hit the jackpot and have 1-2 guys from the prospect pool turn into bonafide superstars but I don't see it happening. Realistically I see some very solid prospects that will make for a strong core going forward but I don't see any of them being on a Fedorov/Yzerman/Datsyuk/Zetterberg type level.

I'd love to be proved wrong though.

VeGor

Datsyuk
Dec 12, 2009
I bet at first people didn't think Datsyuk/Zetterberg could live up to Yzerman/Fedorov... so I think it's way too early to tell.

CloneHakanPlease*

super-star duo?

Yzerman/Fedorov
Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Tatar/Nyquist??

No, or at least I personally don't see them becoming it.

They're more like the next generation of Filppula/Hudler in terms of impact. Maybe a bit better. And I mean that with all respect.

I can see Nyquist becoming a cross between Filppula and Ales Hemsky offensively who shoots a bit more and topping out as a good second line scorer and first line tweener.

Tatar I can see as a peskier mix of Hudler and old school Brian Gionta probably good for 25g and 55-65 p in his prime.

I do think Jarnkrok, Sproul, and Mrzack have very big star potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Jarnkrok has the best chance to become an "elite" NHL talent. Tatar and Nyquist are likely going to be 40-65pt/season guys that have respectable careers.

The most "Superstar" potential lies in Mrazek, Sproul, and Oulette I think.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
at this rate we'll be lucky if we even know what they are at all by the next generation

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Tatar and Nyquist should both be long-time Wings who make important contributions, but neither is close to the level of Yzerman/Fedorov or Zetterberg/Datsyuk. I doubt we have anyone in the system approaching that level. I'd say the best candidates are Jarnkrok and Mrazek, who are the only two I see with a chance of becoming elite. Others (Nyquist, Tatar, Sproul, Ouellet) have awesome upside, but not superstar potential.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think we'll have a superstar duo in the future offence. We'll have a committee. The word that everybody loves.

But we could have a superstar defence and a superstar goalie.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think Tatar/Nyquist will be 2nd line players at best 40-50 pts a year.

And that is a great thing considering where they were drafted.

We will need a few low picks or UFA signings to get more first liners.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Didn't we just have a thread about this??

Anyways, I think Tatar and Nyquist will both be ~60 pt players. I am more excited about Jarnkrok and I hope he becomes that next great 70-80 pt Selke caliber centerman for us.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
I don't understand the desire to have a crash&bang third line...isn't that what fourth lines are for? I don't think either player is soft, and both up our skill level - something that has taken a big hit with the injuries. Of course, I also disagree with the OP that Franzen has "lost his game," so I probably just see things differently on some of these issues.

I'd love for all the lines to be crash and bang with talent, but I see your point. I miss the days of having three scoring lines and a fourth line that could score once in a while, too, while keeping the opposition on their toes.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
I see a lot of talk of trading Filppula at the deadline...
You all understand how deadline trades work, right? Non-playoff teams trade their players on short contracts to playoff-teams for prospects and picks. It's not impossible but trading Filppula for a valuable player at the deadline would be very difficult as he will have no value to most teams who are selling.

stratego

Oct 31, 2008
Dave tippet is my choice. The guy can work with nothing and make a playoff team and he can work with star players.

If the Wings don't make the playoffs, Babcock will be fired and Renney will take over. Renney was hired specifically because he is young player friendly.

The current players hate how hard Babcock is on them, while Babcock also hates young guys. Renney is the polar opposite. He'll be the friendly player's coach and coddle all the young guys we have coming up. Datsyuk will leave after having to prop up Cleary and Abs for so long, and the gas left in Zetterberg's tank will be wasted in the Renney era as he tries to get the kids up to speed. Oh, and if Brunner pots 20 in this shortened season, there's no way we'll spend/match the money needed to retain him.

I'm not looking forward to being a Wings fan the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad