Confirmed with Link: Tarmo Reunanen signs his entry level contract

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
He has a clause in his contract so if he does not get a NHL-spot, he can go back to Finland. Good signing though :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
From Lukko's official announcement (Google Translate):

upload_2019-6-6_3-9-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-6_3-9-42.png
    upload_2019-6-6_3-9-42.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Joey Bones

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I don't know much about this guy. What's the scouting report on him?
Best qualities are hockey sense and offensive play. This year he really improved his skating and it was a breakout season for him. Not great defensively and not physical. He was a pretty highly touted prospect before the draft but his progress was derailed by some injuries.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
Having a fellow countrymen here, to help Kakko assimilate, isn't the worst idea. Someone's got to order the Perunamuusi.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Would be a good idea to bring Pajuniemi to AHL this season as well, he is almost 20 and we likely have some forward spots open there. Also interesting what will happen to Meskanen.

Seems like Kakko doesn't speak much English and requires an interpreter:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
so then why he needed an interpreter in that video?

He didn't need one. He was just assigned one due to the situation he was in. 17 years old, just won gold at the WJC, on the other side of the world. English is his 3rd language. It's not that easy to switch when you are overly emotional. I speak 5 languages myself, but when I am emotional, I still struggle. I live in Austria, and I have moments where I just can't think of the words in German and in that case it's nice to have someone translate.

All I can say is this: Kakko speaks English well enough to have a conversation with me, a fellow non-native speaker.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He didn't need one. He was just assigned one due to the situation he was in. 17 years old, just won gold at the WJC, on the other side of the world. English is his 3rd language. It's not that easy to switch when you are overly emotional. I speak 5 languages myself, but when I am emotional, I still struggle. I live in Austria, and I have moments where I just can't think of the words in German and in that case it's nice to have someone translate.

All I can say is this: Kakko speaks English well enough to have a conversation with me, a fellow non-native speaker.

OK, but will it be good enough to understand his coaches and teammates?

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019

Just to add to this. It can be very scary to have a conversation in a foreign language when you're not used to speaking it. Education here in Finland tends to focus primarily on reading, writing and understanding spoken english. This means that young people can often be a bit nervous about using english with anyone due to lack of practice. Let alone when giving an interview on live TV. I pretty much got straight A's in english all through my school years but you can bet I would've used a translator as an 18 year old in Kakko's situation.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
OK, but will it be good enough to understand his coaches and teammates?

Why wouldn't it be? English is the easiest

Just to add to this. It can be very scary to have a conversation in a foreign language when you're not used to speaking it. Education here in Finland tends to focus primarily on reading, writing and understanding spoken english. This means that young people can often be a bit nervous about using english with anyone due to lack of practice. Let alone when giving an interview on live TV. I pretty much got straight A's in english all through my school years but you can bet I would've used a translator as an 18 year old in Kakko's situation.

Exactly. Same for me. Growing up in the Netherlands, I moved to South Africa when I was 21 and I was struggling at times. The tougher conversations I wish I had someone helping me out because I simply couldn't think of the words at times. Granted, I struggle with it more in French, German and Afrikaans but English was a bit of an issue at such a young age. Now I am 35 and my life is completely different. Having lived in different countries, I have adapted to the English language to the point where I now think in English.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Could be wrong here but was talked about as a potential 1st rounder but got injured in his draft year.

He was actually. A herniated disc cut his season short in his draft year. Before that, Reunanen was seen as on par with Olli Juolevi

Reactions: darko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad