Mar 9, 2012
Here's what i would want (Edit: while expecting disappointing/low returns):

Eichel to MTL for Suzuki, Anderson, 2022 1st

Risto 50% retained to WASH for Vanecek, Hathaway

Reinhart, Thompson, 2021 2nd to MIN for Dumba

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don’t know how the Sabres Atleast don’t get back what the Flyers got for Mike Richards. Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn (think he was considered a top 3 prospect in hockey at the time) and a draft pick. Richards ended up getting a 2nd but imo Eichel is better and younger, should get a first.

You compare the returns but then immediately move the goalposts by changing the 2nd to a 1st. That is a big jump in value in itself.

I actually think the Richards deal is a reasonable comparison though.

Eichel is a better / more valuable player than Richards. What hurts his value is the 10m cap hit vs an ELC in the current cap landscape & wider economic situation. The injury stuff doesn't help either - but ELCs are more valuable now than they have ever been before.

I've no doubt we'd get one really nice piece in an Eichel trade. Or even multiple 'good not great' pieces.

But GTFO thinking we're going to get multiple top tier players on ELCs - such as Byfield+Turcotte+1st... That just isn't happening.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
My favourite Eichel proposal from the discussions earlier in the season was Boeser+Horvat+1st from Vancouver.

I'd have strongly considered it at any point - but I'd rip their arm off if this was offered today.

Maybe there is a blockbuster involving Eichel & Reinhart which would work for us both? Complete change of scenery type trade?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
My favourite Eichel proposal from the discussions earlier in the season was Boeser+Horvat+1st from Vancouver.

I'd have strongly considered it at any point - but I'd rip their arm off if this was offered today.

Maybe there is a blockbuster involving Eichel & Reinhart which would work for us both? Complete change of scenery type trade?
Will Horvat and Boeser want to be in this organization?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Will Horvat and Boeser want to be in this organization?

Will any of these trade targets we talk about want to be in this organisation?

It's not like these guys would be coming from a perfect situation in Vancouver...

I think if you gave Horvat the C, Boeser an A - tell them they are part of a 'new' core including a burgeoning superstar like Dahlin - you could get buy in.

I think the problem with our guys is there has been too much failiure for too long across multiple regimes. If you're purely looking at our future from this point onwards - it doesnt seem so bleak.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
An interesting statement. I would like to clarify such players as, for example, Drysdale , Comtois, Rossi, Boldy, Krebs, Tuch how are they quoted in your coordinate system?

No to defensive equivalent of blue chip forwards (so no Seider, Drysdale, etc.)

Rossi should be available, but since he's Minnesota's best prospect, they'll probably say no (Kaprizov is not a prospect, just to avoid confusion)

I can see Krebs or Tuch, but not both

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Will any of these trade targets we talk about want to be in this organisation?

It's not like these guys would be coming from a perfect situation in Vancouver...

I think if you gave Horvat the C, Boeser an A - tell them they are part of a 'new' core including a burgeoning superstar like Dahlin - you could get buy in.

I think the problem with our guys is there has been too much failiure for too long across multiple regimes. If you're purely looking at our future from this point onwards - it doesnt seem so bleak.
I just thought that it would be easier for young players with this new core.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
No to defensive equivalent of blue chip forwards (so no Seider, Drysdale, etc.)

Rossi should be available, but since he's Minnesota's best prospect, they'll probably say no (Kaprizov is not a prospect, just to avoid confusion)

I can see Krebs or Tuch, but not both
Pessimistic, but I understand why.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I just thought that it would be easier for young players with this new core.

You can't field a lineup of 20/21 year olds & expect to succeed.

I could make a strong arguement for wanting slightly older guys as part of the new 'core'. We tried the 'young core' thing already with poor results.

Besides - it's not like Boeser/Horvat are over the hill. They're a similar age to our guys wanting out. It's a change of scenery type proposal.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The only one I would be willing to trade at this time is Reinhart. His value is high. The Sabres need to stop selling low and buying high as they have been doing so much in the last 8 years.
He's the one guy I want to keep and think we have the best chance of doing so. Sign him long-term, give him a NMC, and he has a lot of power to determine where he goes. He would also have more value to the org if he is signed after 2022.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I could make a strong arguement for wanting slightly older guys as part of the new 'core'. We tried the 'young core' thing already with poor results.

Besides - it's not like Boeser/Horvat are over the hill. They're a similar age to our guys wanting out. It's a change of scenery type proposal.
Of course, we cannot only field young players, so it would be necessary to add the right veterans to the roster. It's just that Horvat has two years left before UFA, and Boeser is unlikely to want to stay in Buffalo if we screw up again.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

But this is why we signed Okposo for 6 years. We knew the value of his veteran leadership as a 12th/13th/14th forward his final 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
But this is why we signed Okposo for 6 years. We knew the value of his veteran leadership as a 12th/13th/14th forward his final 2 years.

Are you trying to suggest adding Boeser/Horvat would be akin to adding Okposo?

If so - i can't help you...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Of course, we cannot only field young players, so it would be necessary to add the right veterans to the roster. It's just that Horvat has two years left before UFA, and Boeser is unlikely to want to stay in Buffalo if we screw up again.

Reinhart / Risto are one year away from UFA. I don't think it's a problem.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
You compare the returns but then immediately move the goalposts by changing the 2nd to a 1st. That is a big jump in value in itself.

I actually think the Richards deal is a reasonable comparison though.

Eichel is a better / more valuable player than Richards. What hurts his value is the 10m cap hit vs an ELC in the current cap landscape & wider economic situation. The injury stuff doesn't help either - but ELCs are more valuable now than they have ever been before.

I've no doubt we'd get one really nice piece in an Eichel trade. Or even multiple 'good not great' pieces.

But GTFO thinking we're going to get multiple top tier players on ELCs - such as Byfield+Turcotte+1st... That just isn't happening.
Well you just said it yourself, Eichel is better than Richards that’s why I said 1st instead of 2nd lol.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Well you just said it yourself, Eichel is better than Richards that’s why I said 1st instead of 2nd lol.

You're choosing to ignore the rest of my points?

Eichel's cap hit significantly reduces his value when compared to top tier prospects on ELCs.

So might the injury - albeit to a lesser extent.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
One thing I don’t think many have brought up, what if Eichel gets this surgery and he’s only ever 70% of what we know him to be? Is that good enough? It’s something I’m certainly worried about.

It doesn’t mean I’m willing to settle for a lesser return, just something that’s been poking around in the back of my mind.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Here's what i would want (Edit: while expecting disappointing/low returns):

Eichel to MTL for Suzuki, Anderson, 2022 1st

Risto 50% retained to WASH for Vanecek, Hathaway

Reinhart, Thompson, 2021 2nd to MIN for Dumba

Yuck, no thanks on all of this. Anderson's contract will not age well. To send Eichel in division it's going to cost them: Suzuki or Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Mysak, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, just to start.

Ritolainen for Vanecek is interesting, but I'd ask for a 2nd back as well.

Who on earth are we giving up Reinhart, and other assets for Dumba. Who is not really much of an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Eichel's cap hit significantly reduces his value when compared to top tier prospects on ELCs.

Good players on ELC are very valuable commodities in today's NHL no one can argue against that, but this is Jack Eichel on a 5 year deal, in his prime. That contract doesn't "significantly reduce his value". You might be able to pull a teamwide asset or two (for a deeper team) off the table. After that, get lost. It wouldn't surprise me if a dozen teams made serious offers for this guy. There are simple ways around the cap constraints that come with a 10 million dollar player. A) Target teams that have significant cap space next season. B) Take salary back. It can be everything from a useful young player that you can use going forward to a washed out cap dump. If the injury is negatively affecting the value in your negotiations than slow play it with Jack. Teams have to know you're healthy and able to produce.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Good players on ELC are very valuable commodities in today's NHL no one can argue against that, but this is Jack Eichel on a 5 year deal, in his prime. That contract doesn't "significantly reduce his value". You might be able to pull a teamwide asset or two (for a deeper team) off the table. After that, get lost. It wouldn't surprise me if a dozen teams made serious offers for this guy. There are simple ways around the cap constraints that come with a 10 million dollar player. A) Target teams that have significant cap space next season. B) Take salary back. It can be everything from a useful young player that you can use going forward to a washed out cap dump. If the injury is negatively affecting the value in your negotiations than slow play it with Jack. Teams have to know you're healthy and able to produce.

I agree with much of what you say & at no point did i say Eichel had low value.

But he doesn't have the tyoe of value sone of you guys are suggesting. Especially when comparing his 10m hit to an ELC cap hit.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Jesus buddy take a chill pill lol. 5 years vs mike Richards 100 year deal even things out.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Yuck, no thanks on all of this. Anderson's contract will not age well. To send Eichel in division it's going to cost them: Suzuki or Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Mysak, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, just to start.

Ritolainen for Vanecek is interesting, but I'd ask for a 2nd back as well.

Who on earth are we giving up Reinhart, and other assets for Dumba. Who is not really much of an upgrade.

Something sane .. Nice response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad