Targets for our pick from Washington?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Could see Räty falling to this pick.

And we get Wallsted on our own.

Goalie and Center at 1st round?

I'm really hoping we win this draft and walk away with Power, Raty, Gaudreau with our first three picks. That would be a damn near perfect fall of the dominos for me.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Good for us then, when he has confidence he is easily a top 10 player in the draft

If people we thrilled with getting Veleno where we got him, I think we should feel the same way if we can grab Raty like that. If we're grabbing him with washington's pick, that's going to be a mid-1st or later, likely in the 20s. Getting a guy like Raty in that area of the 1st would be incredibly good. I think folks are overthinking it a bit with Raty and he's a guy I could see going straight from the draft to GR.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Good for us then, when he has confidence he is easily a top 10 player in the draft

He's plummeted for a reason and it's more than confidence. I sincerely doubt that Raty's situation is a Veleno 2.0.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton pick him up before us. Holland loves picking the falling players like he's discount shopping at Walmart almost as much as he loves reaching for defensemen several spots higher than they were rated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think a lot of the players Detroit would like to draft will be taken by their pick(s).

This is a real test of the DRW's scouting staff in the 1st-3rd round.

I believe this happened with Dach/Turcotte going before us in the 2019 Draft, and they responded pretty well with their Seider selection.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's plummeted for a reason and it's more than confidence. I sincerely doubt that Raty's situation is a Veleno 2.0.

Yeah, he struggled in a men's league. The kid has some good tools to work with, particularly his skating.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton pick him up before us. Holland loves picking the falling players like he's discount shopping at Walmart almost as much as he loves reaching for defensemen several spots higher than they were rated.

It has 100% to do with confidence, thats what several scouts have been saying. The talent is there

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
There are impact players in the later rounds aswell

One that I'm very interested in is Josh Doan. He's a late bloomer/overager, but the GM of Chicago Steel stated in their interview with Button and the EP Rinkside guy that she believes Doan will play in the NHL for 15+ years and wear a letter. Apparently a terrific work ethic and never say die attitude. The only reason he didn't score more last year was because the team was loaded at forward so he played a lesser role.

If that's true then I can see using a mid or late 2nd on him if we believe that the guy is going to be a solid contributor.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There are impact players in the later rounds aswell
Okay? And some people win the Powerball. But reasonable investments in the stock market are much more likely to make you rich. Same thing as gambling on later picks panning out. If Detroit can move up they increase their chances at getting a better player. Period. I believe Detroit should be doing everything they can to maximize that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Okay? And some people win the Powerball. But reasonable investments in the stock market are much more likely to make you rich. Same thing as gambling on later picks panning out. If Detroit can move up they increase their chances at getting a better player. Period. I believe Detroit should be doing everything they can to maximize that.

I don't disagree, but I'd only move up if there was a guy there we really wanted. I wouldn't start packaging picks to move up without that knowledge because I'm not sure the expected returns for a guy picked 18th is all that different from a guy picked 28th or 38th or 48th.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't disagree, but I'd only move up if there was a guy there we really wanted. I wouldn't start packaging picks to move up without that knowledge because I'm not sure the expected returns for a guy picked 18th is all that different from a guy picked 28th or 38th or 48th.

Not a difference in talent to be worth getting rid of the lottery tickets. In a draft like this year moving a second and third on top of the first to move up 5-10 spots seems really dumb to me. Lots of under scouted guys and more kicks at the can sounds way better to me

Reactions: L13

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Hard to say now; I'll assume we pick 6th-8th first.

For our second first round pick, don't tell anyone this, but I think Washington will not win the cup. In fact, I really think that Boston may win that first series. If the Caps win against Boston, I still don't think Washington will end up in either of the finals. I think this pick will come 21st-23rd. *My brackets are often wrong

First Pick: A guy who can play center at the NHL level.
  1. The center who seems to be listed very often at 6th-8th is Kent Johnson.
  2. If Johnson is taken before us, then we may still have a chance at William Eklund, but there's doubt about whether he can play center in the NHL.
  3. A few other centers have popped into the 6th-8th territory from time to time in certain rankings, but generally appear kinda early to mid teens: Mason McTavish and Chaz Lucius, not necessarily in that order. Another one is Aatu Raty but his value has fallen pretty significantly lately.
If we pick 6th through 8th and things go as planned, I would be hoping for Johnson or Eklund.

Second Pick: A goalie, a defender or even another center. I give equal priority to a goalie and a defender for this pick even though goalie is really a bigger priority, because first round goalies are a bit risky.
  1. I might consider Sebastian Cossa here if he's available. He seems to be becoming more popular. Assuming this pick isn't in the teens, again, I consider him.
  2. One defender often ranked in or near 21st-23rd area is Daniil Chayka. I doubt Lambos is still available when we take our second first. If we end up picking later than I think, then obviously you have Ceulemans and then Mailloux. Meanwhile, it seems like Svozil and Morrow have gone down in value.
  3. If you want another center, Zach Dean is now a possibility for where we may pick, also Pinelli and Bourgault have been in that neighborhood for a long time. Korczak and L'Heureux and all the other centers from that area seem to be trending downward.
I would be hoping for Cossa or Chayka at 21st-23rd.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Since the Coyotes forfeit its pick, I believe the worst we can pick is 25th. The best we can do is 21st I believe, but it would require four teams in front of Washington to make the conference finals.

Mantha's doing his best to help his old team out. :sarcasm:

Reactions: DInTheB

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
hockeyprospect.com has 2 bigger forwards in this range I am not too familiar with.

Matthew Knies - 6'3" forward who has been PPG the last 2 seasons in the USHL
Tyler Boucher - Son of Brian Boucher. Described as a power forward, committed to BU for next year.

I could see Yzerman adding some bigger bodies up front in this draft, we saw him do that in Tampa with Howden, Raddysh, Katchouk, etc. Salminen is another guy I like in the 25-50 range.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Carson Lambos.

Before this season Lambos was ranked as a top 12 guy. I haven't seen a single good explanation for why he dropped. He should most definitely go in the top 12.

He played well enough in Finland and played pretty well in the WHL before a mystery injury ended his season. Very good wheels and overall mobility, great athleticism, and had a CHL rookie season that was on par offensively with Clarke and Drysdale. I don't know about #1 defenseman upside but I could see him being a PP2, PK1, 2nd pair anchor while playing a pretty physical brand of hockey. I'd say this kid could become something of a Brad Stuart on the low end to a Ryan McDonagh on the high end.

Joe Veleno was ranked in the top 10 in the preseason of his draft year too in most lists. McIssac was also top 10 in some lists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->